Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2012-11-08, 12:17pm
Wait.....what?

Default A bit overwhelmed

I got a Nikon D 5100.
So far I love it. I know some people here have them so what's the best thing or things I should do to get used to this. And what's the best second lens to save for, it came with the 18-55.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-08, 5:05pm
Melody of Glass

PPP, Katie! I'm a Nikon girl and I love my camera. If you don't already know the theory of aperture, shutter speed, and what effects changing them have on your photos, learn that. From there, it's just a matter of learning where all your buttons are, etc. and that's a ppp until they are automatic.

I have lots of photography books and this is my fave for all the basics and good tips: http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...to-photography

There are a million places on line you can learn that stuff too.

Lens I can't live without - my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR. I drooled over that one for about 6 years before I bought, though! For beads, I wish I had a macro lens. Best tip - buy the best lenses you can afford. It makes all the difference. Every time I cheaped out on a lens, I ended up selling it for a loss and upgrading.

I love this site and always check his reviews before I ever buy a lens: http://www.kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-11-09, 7:02am
Wait.....what?

Ooh, great info, thanks.
I had access to a Nikon way back and loved it so I was learning the theory but it's not totally ingrained yet for me. And I'm having fun figuring out all the buttons. No matter how much I read the manual I still have to play with the camera and kind of learn muscle memory of which buttons are where.
I'll check out those links too, thanks.