Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2012-04-18, 9:37am
...displaced ocean lover

Default Silver Pearl and other mysteries

Does anyone have a pic of a rod of this type of glass??

I bought an unmarked bundle that is "probably" Silver Pearl. It's kind of purple looking in the rod form...or at least that's what these rods are...

There is also a rod of clear-ish glass. If it were Double Helix I'd say it was Zeus or Olympia Rain. But I can't guess when it comes to boro since these are the first rods of Boro I've ever seen/had.

Also, there is a rod or two of 611120.

Just so you know, I DID look on GA and Mountain Glass but not seeing it.
Maybe I'll try Frantz now???

Oh...Silver Unobtainium (yay)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-18, 10:36am
...displaced ocean lover

Okay, another un-marked but I think it's may be English Ivy? (is it kind of olive green or lihter and sparkley?)

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-18, 10:45am

Sometimes I think that identifying boro rods is like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.

Old 2012-04-18, 11:17am
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Okay, another un-marked but I think it's may be English Ivy? (is it kind of olive green or lihter and sparkley?)
Not sure on your first two, but I'm gonna guess Millenium Moss on this one
Old 2012-04-18, 12:16pm
...displaced ocean lover

hahahaaa....I'm quickly learning this is true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Sometimes I think that identifying boro rods is like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
Elise, I looked it up! You're right! Thanks!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobeche View Post
Not sure on your first two, but I'm gonna guess Millenium Moss on this one

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-18, 12:32pm
Cave Dweller

Quote:
like asking how many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop.
It's 3, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ0epRjfGLw
Old 2012-04-18, 1:29pm
...displaced ocean lover

Is Silver Creek a topaz color in rod form???
I'm starting to wonder if some of this glass is not marked correctly. =/

Caribbean Coral was totally mismarked...not sure what these rods are now, but I found it online and it's NOT this glass.

Melting this to see what colors I get will be quite the adventure I guess!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2012-04-18 at 1:53pm.
Old 2012-04-18, 2:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Blaty View Post
Is Silver Creek a topaz color in rod form???
I'm starting to wonder if some of this glass is not marked correctly. =/

Caribbean Coral was totally mismarked...not sure what these rods are now, but I found it online and it's NOT this glass.

Melting this to see what colors I get will be quite the adventure I guess!
my silver creek is a slightly yellowish opaque ivory color
Old 2012-04-18, 2:06pm
Serenity Now!

...and my SIlver Creek appears to be a clear-ish topaz. SOmetimes different batches of first quality glass can look very different in rod form. As is this case. Have fun ~ do yourself a favour and take notes!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-04-18, 5:12pm
Pyromaniac

Melt the rods to test them...
My silver creek is a translucent amberish color.
and in the case of caribbean coral remember that it may come out of the kiln a very different color than it went in.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2012-04-18, 5:20pm
Pyromaniac

Sparkly green to olive green colors:
(partial list)
Leprechaun
Millenium Moss / OG Moss
Silver Pine
Mystery Adventurine
and there was a mother of green pearl or something I think.

The most important thing to worry about is whether it is a WYSIWYG or a striking color. Heat up/melt 1/2" or so, beat it up in the flame a bit watch for haze to burn off, then let it cool, see if it changes color and/or has hazy swirls on it when it has cooled

Old 2012-04-18, 6:07pm
Flaming my life away

Try looking them up at artglasshousw.com. I think they carry all those colors.
Old 2012-04-18, 7:09pm

My Silver Creek is transparent topaz, the Tan Silver Creek is an opaque-ish yellowish/ivory-ish color. Ish.

Old 2012-04-19, 5:56am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
...and my SIlver Creek appears to be a clear-ish topaz. SOmetimes different batches of first quality glass can look very different in rod form. As is this case. Have fun ~ do yourself a favour and take notes!
Taking notes...this is something I never do with 104 b/c I can usually just look at it and tell what I used...HOWEVER, with boro, I think I will HAVE TO!!
Thanks for reminding me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip View Post
Sparkly green to olive green colors:
(partial list)
Leprechaun
Millenium Moss / OG Moss I think this is it. I like the Mountain glass site b/c it usually shows it melted AND in rod form
Silver Pine
Mystery Adventurine
and there was a mother of green pearl or something I think.

The most important thing to worry about is whether it is a WYSIWYG or a striking color.I hate to ask, but what does that mean? Heat up/melt 1/2" or so, beat it up in the flame a bit watch for haze to burn off, then let it cool, see if it changes color and/or has hazy swirls on it when it has cooled
and after I see hazy swirls? Is that good? Do I try to reduce it also or just strike it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauxartz View Post
Try looking them up at artglasshousw.com. I think they carry all those colors.
Ok, that's a new one.
I was on Mountain glass, GA, Frantz and ABR yesterday!

Quote:
My Silver Creek is transparent topaz, the Tan Silver Creek is an opaque-ish yellowish/ivory-ish color. Ish.
Sounds like my Silver Creek MAY or MAY NOT not be! What a fun adventure this will be. What the heck does Silver Creek DO anyway?

Everything seems like it's a Double Helix type of glass!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-19, 7:09am
Serenity Now!

Both GA and Northstar have "User Manuals" on their respective websites. I think I've read through them at least 20 times, and each time somehow I discover something new. They have lots of information on what their colors do, flame settings, etc. Have fun~!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-04-19, 7:31am
Pyromaniac

Roo, to answer your question: If you see any evidence of haze, including wispy hazy swirls after it cools, coupled with a color change, the odds are good that the glass is an amber purple, or an 'exotic' or some type of striking color. You will quickly learn to recognize this.

There is a lot of silver glass in the boro palette. At the most basic, they're based on transparent clear and the colors range from Warm Yellow to deepest purple when struck, with variants depending the chemical composition, and how much surface haze (reduction) is allowed to develop, among other things. One of my favorites in this class is "Solara" from GA.

A fun way to learn a LOT about boro color is to buy "shorts", melt them in the flame and then attempt to match them to the color charts from the manufacturer.

Boro colors break down along several lines, with WYSIWYG colors at one extreme, (some of which are vulnerable to flame atmosphere (turbo cobalt, etc), some prone to boiling (warm colors - yellow, orange, red etc, even white though for different reasons).

In the middle you have the garnets, reds etc (TAG Elvis is a good red, or NS pomegranate), which will go clear when worked, then strike red - though they can be vulnerable to "livering" if overworked. I also include some lightly striking colors in the middle range, such as multi & turquesa - which will flame strike a bit in a neutral atmosphere, but really change if you reduce them,

Heading toward the other extreme, there is butterscotch, caramel, silver strike etc, as well as the exotics, which contain a lot of metals, and the amber purples, most of which change color due to interior crystal growth at temperatures around 1000-1100 degrees, and can also be reduced to bring metals to the surface, or even oxidized in some cases for a variety of effects. Variants on these seem to comprise the bulk of the boro palette - red amber purple, tan amber purple, green amber purple, blue amber purple, sparkle amber purple, green-blue-red-orange amber McPurple-urple (ok I made that last one up)

If you recall I suggested that clear frit was a really cool thing to have? And color in that last category are the ones to use it on Add frit, then reduce, or leave it be, or reduce then add frit, the combinations are really up to you!

Old 2012-04-19, 7:35am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over the Moon View Post
Both GA and Northstar have "User Manuals" on their respective websites. I think I've read through them at least 20 times, and each time somehow I discover something new. They have lots of information on what their colors do, flame settings, etc. Have fun~!
Thanks, I'll open it up now and then go see what all these rods look like after I melt them around!
While on Mtn.Glass website I thought about printing out the info on each glass. It sounded like most of them liked to be melted in an O2 rich environment. I like how different this glass is...can't wait to see how they come out of the kiln!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-19, 9:43am
...displaced ocean lover

Talking

Hey...I didn't see this when I was answering OverTheMoon...weird...

Thanks a bunch, this is just what I needed to know. AND I was informed by Rebecca that WYSIWYG does not, in fact, stand for
When You Sing I Want Your Gun....hmmmm....

Quote:
Roo, to answer your question: If you see any evidence of haze, including wispy hazy swirls after it cools, coupled with a color change, the odds are good that the glass is an amber purple, or an 'exotic' or some type of striking color. You will quickly learn to recognize this.

There is a lot of silver glass in the boro palette. At the most basic, they're based on transparent clear and the colors range from Warm Yellow to deepest purple when struck, with variants depending the chemical composition, and how much surface haze (reduction) is allowed to develop, among other things. One of my favorites in this class is "Solara" from GA.

A fun way to learn a LOT about boro color is to buy "shorts", melt them in the flame and then attempt to match them to the color charts from the manufacturer. This is SUCH a good idea!!! I have some shorts that I got from Tom Heath and most aren't marked! You're so clever!

Boro colors break down along several lines, with WYSIWYG colors at one extreme, (some of which are vulnerable to flame atmosphere (turbo cobalt, etc), some prone to boiling (warm colors - yellow, orange, red etc, even white though for different reasons).

In the middle you have the garnets, reds etc (TAG Elvis is a good red, or NS pomegranate), which will go clear when worked, then strike red - though they can be vulnerable to "livering" if overworked. I also include some lightly striking colors in the middle range, such as multi & turquesa - which will flame strike a bit in a neutral atmosphere, but really change if you reduce them,

Heading toward the other extreme, there is butterscotch, caramel, silver strike etc, as well as the exotics, which contain a lot of metals, and the amber purples, most of which change color due to interior crystal growth at temperatures around 1000-1100 degrees, and can also be reduced to bring metals to the surface, or even oxidized in some cases for a variety of effects. Variants on these seem to comprise the bulk of the boro palette - red amber purple, tan amber purple, green amber purple, blue amber purple, sparkle amber purple, green-blue-red-orange amber McPurple-urple (ok I made that last one up)

If you recall I suggested that clear frit was a really cool thing to have? And color in that last category are the ones to use it on Add frit, then reduce, or leave it be, or reduce then add frit, the combinations are really up to you!
I do remember the frit suggestion. It is on the list of things I STILL need. When I bought my torch she also had gotten some boro with it. So I bought a variety of colors. Many of which seem to be the silvery (going to get a haze) type of glass. But I STILL need some clear frit, clear clear, more white of some sort, Red Elvis and a trans. yellow of some kind. There were a couple of other colors someone mentioned. I have them written down on the list but can't remember what they were. But I WAS able to get many of the colors you had suggested.
I'll have to melt the end of that mysterious blue/green glass that she thought was something that it cannot possibly be. (mathching to the color chart...so clever! )

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-19, 10:33am
Pyromaniac

Try it with 5 # of northstar shorts. =) It's how I got my start in learning to work boro. It takes a certain independence of spirit, but you'll find it rewarding...

And oh yeah, GET BRENT GRABER'S VIDEOS. They will instantly give you reproducible results.

Old 2012-04-19, 2:54pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Try it with 5 # of northstar shorts. =) It's how I got my start in learning to work boro. It takes a certain independence of spirit, but you'll find it rewarding...

And oh yeah, GET BRENT GRABER'S VIDEOS. They will instantly give you reproducible results.
well...phhhttt...I didn't even know Brent DID video's!?
I'll go find them. (Thanks again, Chris)

I melted a slllloooooowwwww little murrini rod and some test beads but trying to encase is like doing it on my old HH!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-19, 8:12pm
Pyromaniac

http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=15

Start there

PS if it's slow on a barracuda, you need more oxy. I do about 75% of my work on center fire alone...unless you're working slow to avoid melting through mandrels.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2012-04-19 at 8:19pm.
Old 2012-04-20, 10:54am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
http://www.brentgraber.com/catalog.php?category=15

Start there

PS if it's slow on a barracuda, you need more oxy. I do about 75% of my work on center fire alone...unless you're working slow to avoid melting through mandrels.
Nah...I was on my Mega Minor just trying to see what all these colors are.

I haven't hooked up the Barracuda yet; still have to either do the holding tank thing, do the M20 thing or get an O2 tank. The easy way will also be the fastest and best...O2. But it is just going to be soooo expensive after a few years. The M20 will be expensive all-at-once but will save me in the long run. argh...so many decisions.

You brought up another point I hadn't even considered. Mandrels. Do I need a different type??

I see in another thread that I will need a different bead release. Is that b/c of the additional heat needed to melt boro at more than a snails pace?

(oh, and thanks for the link!)

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-21, 2:32pm

(psst, Chris, it's not crystals - it's metallic silver collecting into a haze.)

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2012-04-21, 8:18pm
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
(psst, Chris, it's not crystals - it's metallic silver collecting into a haze.)
Huh? Are you talking about on the surface? Because I only mentioned crystals in reference to interior striking of amber-purple family colors, though GA does describe "skin crystals" in their literature which I assume would be haze, or something similar. I bow before your superior knowledge, so if you tell me it's metallic silver collecting inside the glass in a haze, I will believe you. And quote you. In writing. Everywhere. All the time. By name.

Edit: Roo, I've watched Ron Bearer Jr. make beautiful christmas ornaments from 25 x 4 mm tubing on a Minor burner, so... you may need to work on your setup. One thing about boro that you may not be familiar with is how fast it sets up after you take it out of the flame, unless you make a rather large gather. Unlike soft glass, you have very minimal working time. That may be part of your problem.

Last edited by Bunyip; 2012-04-21 at 8:26pm.
Old 2012-04-23, 8:24am
Pyromaniac

Jen-nay?

Old 2012-04-23, 1:55pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
Edit: Roo, I've watched Ron Bearer Jr. make beautiful christmas ornaments from 25 x 4 mm tubing on a Minor burner, so... you may need to work on your setup. One thing about boro that you may not be familiar with is how fast it sets up after you take it out of the flame, unless you make a rather large gather. Unlike soft glass, you have very minimal working time. That may be part of your problem.
Yeah, what's up with that? I thought with boro I would have MORE time to work it...not LESS
Also, Ron may have tanked oxy...I just have 2 little oxycons hooked together.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-23, 2:29pm
Pyromaniac

He was working on tanked but 2 5 LPM oxycons should be able to give you lots of heat with a minor burner. I was pulling points in 25 MM heavy wall tubing on a minor with 2 5 LPM oxycons, and probably could have made ornaments as well - if I wasn't terrible at hollow work that is

Old 2012-04-23, 6:26pm
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
He was working on tanked but 2 5 LPM oxycons should be able to give you lots of heat with a minor burner. I was pulling points in 25 MM heavy wall tubing on a minor with 2 5 LPM oxycons, and probably could have made ornaments as well - if I wasn't terrible at hollow work that is
Well....what am I doing wrong? I really don't seem to have much heat!

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Old 2012-04-24, 6:05am
Pyromaniac

Well Roo, a lot of people don't fiddle with the oxy knob when they have concentrators... Make sure your oxycons are outputting around 4 LPM each based upon the oxycon volume setting control and with the oxygen knob setting on your torch (you can work upward from there if necessary). That can be enough flow to make it difficult to light your torch, so oftentimes people will use a lower setting...

Play around to try to maximize oxygen output from concentrators and torch. Just remember there is a "sweet spot" for oxycon output and purity too much output, the purity will go down. Max output (5 LPM) will not be as pure as lower output. If I recall correctly, that can vary between a few percentage points to as much as 10-15% or more depending on a lot of variables.

It would probably be best if you knew someone locally who is experienced with various torches and who knows boro that could come over and play with your setup. Failing that, start fiddlin' around. Just remember how to set it back to the "last known working configuration" in case you get too far out of whack

Old 2012-05-01, 2:50pm

Quote:
Huh? Are you talking about on the surface? Because I only mentioned crystals in reference to interior striking of amber-purple family colors, though GA does describe "skin crystals" in their literature which I assume would be haze, or something similar. I bow before your superior knowledge, so if you tell me it's metallic silver collecting inside the glass in a haze, I will believe you. And quote you. In writing. Everywhere. All the time. By name.
LOL! No need to quote me, Chris, you can quote Jessie Kohl's article for the FLOW in fall '07 called "Amber/Purple: a Molecular Approach." He very clearly debunks the "crystal growth theory." Silver does not form crystals. There may be crystal growth in other colors, like aventurines, but not in Amber/Purples. XO! ~J

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid

Last edited by Firebrand Beads; 2012-05-01 at 7:40pm.