LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-05-25, 12:15pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Default What Size Mandrel For Kumihimo Slider Beads?

I have a friend out of state that I'd like to surprise with big hole sliders for her Kumihimo necklaces. I don't think I've ever seen one in person and I don't want to ask her directly, she'd know I was up to something, lol.

I'm hoping someone can give me a rough idea how large these necklaces are in diameter. I realize they're made in different thicknesses but is there an average size? I've got lots of large mandrels, just need to figure out what would be too small. Any thoughts on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-25, 2:06pm
Serenity Now!

It's true there are various thicknesses. I wouldn't go less than 6mm. What a nice surprise you are planning.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2012-05-25, 2:40pm

Ansuya... I'm not an expert at Kumihimo by a long shot but here's what I know so far. The diameter of the braid depends on the cord or beads used. They can be pencil diameter to an inch+ around. I make all my Kumihimo braids with beads. Size 11/0 seed beads (without adding anything larger... which I always do) is a slim pencil diameter if I use nylon upholstery thread. I use a 3/32 mandrel if I plan to put 8 strands of thread through a focal bead as I go along with the seed bead braid. Make sense? I think most folks fashion or buy bails the correct size to hang beads off of Kumihimo. In this case the hole in your bead would be determined by your bail.

Here is an excerpt from satincord.com about size.
"What size should I use for Kumihimo?
The #0 petite size will make a braid about the size of a pencil. The #1 braid would be slightly larger and the #2 size would make a braid about the size of your little finger. "

For reference, here is a bracelet I started last night. The braid is made with 6 strands of 11/0 delicas and two strands of magitamas (using nylon upholstery thread). The lentil and two round beads were made on a 3/32 mandrel. The Kumihimo is about 1/2 inch in diameter.

I don't know how big a hole would be necessary to get 8 strands of various rattail through...

Old 2012-05-25, 3:21pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Thank you, Val and Robin!

Very pretty, Robin!

The braids she's made so far are simple, straight forward braids, no lampwork beads added. The beads I plan to make would have to be large enough to slide over the entire braid easily, like a tube bead or a set of large ring beads so no bail would be required.

Or is that a bad idea?? That was my first idea for beads to make but is that considered a no-no to have them sliding over the seed beads? Would that damage the braid?

Old 2012-05-25, 3:47pm

I just went and looked on Etsy. I typed "kumihimo with lampwork bead" and up came some like what you're wanting to do. Maybe take a peek there?
Old 2012-05-25, 4:04pm
Isellstuff&alsothings

Ok, big DUH! moment for me, never thought to look there, LOL! Thanks Robin
Have an awesome holiday weekend, everyone!

Old 2012-05-26, 9:56am
Burning through glass

My Mom makes simple beaded kumihimo strands and I've made a few hollow beads for them. I use a 5/16" hollow mandrel for these. It gives me an 8mm diameter hole. Hope that helps! What a wonderful idea to surprise your friend!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&
Old 2012-05-26, 10:11am
Isellstuff&alsothings

Oh that's pretty, Renee! Thanks for the info, I'm on my way to the studio now to play.

Old 2012-05-26, 1:47pm
Burning through glass

You're welcome, and thank you for the compliment! Have fun!!

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&