Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-01-16, 8:41pm

Default New Beads of Courage Programs!

Hello from Beads of Courage Programs!

We are excited to announce a few new hospitals who will be providing Beads of Courage in early 2011! Let us know if you live near a hospital that we are coming to train, we would enjoy trying to arrange to meet your ISGB chapter and get to know you! Colin & Beads of Courage!

Training coming soon to these hospitals!
UNC Hospitals, UNC Children's Hospital, Chapel Hill, NC
Children's in Oklahoma City, OK
Eastern Maine Medical Center, Bangor ME *first hospital in Maine

Just completed staff ambassador training!
MU Women's and Children's in Columbia, Missouri **first member hospital in Missouri!!
Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, NY
* new in 2011 as well, sister hospital: Women's and Children's Hospital of Buffalo (pending agreements)
Children's Hospital of Orange County, California
Rady Children's Hospital, San Diego, California
UVA Children's Hospital, Charlottesville, VA
New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
Old 2011-01-16, 9:27pm

Is there a list of hospitals that you provide beads for?

Caroline
Old 2011-01-16, 11:13pm
The Queen of Sofa King

Here's a link to the list from the website
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-17, 12:38pm
Obsessed Blogger

Woo Hoo! Welcome to the BOC family Missouri and Maine!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
Old 2011-01-17, 6:52pm
Powers Art Studio

NH needs to jump on board!

Old 2011-01-18, 5:34am
Eight Miles Wide

So cool!

Old 2011-01-18, 6:23am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Carolina FireFiend's aren't an official chapter yet but I think we'd love to begin the process to get involved with BOC in Chapel Hill!!

Old 2011-02-01, 5:01am

Cool, one in Maine. I thought someone mentioned this last time I was at Playing with Fire in Rockland. Would love to help out if I could. Can we make donations that go to a specific hospital too? I need to look through my beads to see what I can come up with.

Tina

Old 2011-02-01, 5:15am

Wuhoo! Eastern Maine Medical Center is MY hospital! They're 20 miles from me and, well, it's one of the 4 closest- they're all about 20 miles away in 4 different directions- Blue Hill, Ellsworth (hi pmsinmaine!), Belfast and Bangor.

I'm glad they're on board. If you ever need anyone in the area for a contact person for them, let me know.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2011-03-04, 9:53am

I had a question from a mom, I'm teaching her daughter how to make beads, who heard that the hospitals need to purchase the beads from BOC. Is this correct...or is everything donated?
Thanks
Old 2011-03-07, 2:11pm
Obsessed Blogger

The regular program beads are purchased. Usually though, the hospitals have a sponsor that carries their refill costs and Beads of Courage funds others that don't currently have sponsors, from money that is raised at fundraisers, grants and donations. There is no profit made on these refills.

The regular program beads are those tiny glass colored beads that represent different treatments they go through. Some kids complete their treatment with up to 1,000 beads. Imagine how many beads that is for over 15,000 kids now!

All Act of Courage beads are donated by you, the artist, and hospitals are given those at NO charge when they need refills of them. Purple hearts and Butterfly beads, the same thing. Anything that is donated to BOC by an artist is then donated to the hospitals as well, including bead bags and wooden boxes that the children get.

(although, we just announced a program where we will start purchasing the purple hearts from artists so you all can focus on the Act of Courage beads for us).

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions and I'll try to answer them!

Old 2011-03-10, 3:27pm

Thanks Lori!!!
Old 2011-03-24, 9:36am
Catchen' the Sun

I have relatives that have worked at Roswell in Buffalo as well as others that have been patients. Its near my hometown were all my family live. Glad to see WNY will be participating.

SRA # K36 Catchen' the Sun Glass Art

Old 2011-03-25, 2:39am

Hi Shari!

Hey c'mon, Massachusetts (and Rhode Island)!! Step up to the plate! Considering the hospitals in Boston its almost embarrassing to see no Mass. hospitals have come on board

Duane
PS
Its good to see UVA Med Center has come on board (my dad was a prof of chem and micro there)

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-05-24, 12:28pm

Woo-HOO! I just found out that the hospital that I work/live at - Methodist/Children's Hospital in San Antonio Texas is now part of the program! I've been jumping up and down, giving out information, talking until I'm blue in the face, cornering doctors... YIPPEE!!!!
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
somehow someone with more linguistic skills or puppy tears than I got through to someone!!!

:ha ppy:

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-07-19, 9:40am

Leslie! How wonderful for both the kids and you! I wish we had a hospital nearby that participates.
Debbie Sims
JerseyGirlBeads