LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-10-08, 11:28am

Ok maybe I am not reducing right... someone please show me a pic of your torch preferably a minor when using a reduction flame..... maybe then I can figure it out.... hopefully anyway.... lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-08, 11:33am
sunscreen me baby

I love that blue you are getting! Nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~

Old 2006-10-08, 12:01pm

I wonder too if you have to use Lauscha clear to get those effects...

Old 2006-10-09, 6:18am
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Wow that looks really cool. So maybe everyone is OVERREDUCING if they are getting mud...you know like Kronos it's a fine line between beautiful blues and mud. If you reduce to far you get mud.

Only reason I didn't join Laushca colour of the month club is because I personally think Laucha has HUGE compatibility problems. It is SO NOT compatible with moretti. The clear encases so lovely but EVERY SINGLE BEAD will eventually CRACK. Also I have used LAUSCHA with LAUSCHA and it CRACKS! And yes I did use 2 different lauscha colours with the same coe. The only time it doesn't crack is if I put a bit of enamel on and raised intense black.

That said I love their colours and still use them just only on their own.

I actually think I would really like some of this supernova if I can get brilliant blues like that...if it is really hard like OR then I dono't want it but. I can work Kronos like a charm but OR? forget it I just get poop.

ANyway just my 2cents!
Old 2006-10-09, 8:04am
Superkitty

I played briefly with this glass last night. I seemed to have the best luck just putting supernova on supernova. I made the bead. Then added dots and lines of more supernova. Then reduced it in a flame adjusted so that the yellow part of the flame was about 1.5 - 2" long. I held the bead just inside the yellow area when working it. It took about 4-6 passes in the flame.. but I consistently got color that way.

I'll have to do a bit more experimenting to see what else I can do with it.

Deb
Old 2006-10-09, 7:34pm

Well, this glass sure is a challange!! I like the swirly colors you got SuzyQ and that green was pretty Lori. I love the blues you got Kay. I'll try that the next time I get a play day.
Old 2006-10-10, 6:16pm
over the moon space cadet

Hmmm....
mine hasn't come yet either.
I'm sure it's on its way.
I thought we were supposed to be able to preview the glass before it came out.
Does it come with any instructions on how to work it, since it sounds like all the glass coming outta this special club furnace will all be experimental.
We maybe should be paying less, not more to be the guinea pigs.
Maybe I'll just wait and see how I can work it or if I can. I get dissapointing enough results with ivory and certian frits, I don't want to pay out the A** for a glass that looks like mud.
Can't wait to see what happens.
Does anyone think it works better on one kind of torch than another??
I have a Minor, but am upgrading this week to a Phirana. Wondering if it will make any difference...

" We are cups, constantly and quietly being filled.
The trick is, knowing how to tip ourselves over
and let the beautiful stuff out. - Ray Bradbury
Old 2006-10-10, 6:21pm
Covered in glitter

I'd just like to get the damned stuff.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2006-10-10, 6:54pm

One thing that I found while working with this stuff tonight is that it likes to be worked very cool - think a finicky purple rubino. I kept looking at all the grey ick I kept getting and suddenly realized that what was happening was that I was actually burning all the silver off. Try turning the propane way down and the oxy as well, to get your reducing flame turn the oxy down further and watch the colors. The real colors come after the glass is encased, but you can see the blues and greens before you encase. The glass is really stiff if you are working cool enough, but this seems to do the trick. I'll try and post pix tomorrow.
Carol

Old 2006-10-11, 7:01am

Here is what came out of the kiln this morning.

Supernova over Medium Amythest, dotted with Lauscha clear, reduced, heavily encased with Lauscha clear.

These are a base of Supernova with Lauscha clear scrollwork melted in, reduced, encased with Lauscha clear.

All of these were worked very cool.

Carol

Old 2006-10-11, 7:16am
Rose colored glasses…√

Hi Carol; I'm wishing I knew where my camera was; I got about the same color you did, and I too used a cooler flame, and stringers that I pulled in a reduction flame. I didn't encase though...cause I suck at it.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2006-10-11, 7:17am
sunscreen me baby

Wow, work it cool. I'll try it. Great colors Carol.

~

Old 2006-10-11, 7:22am

Ooo, such beautiful colors, and I'll try working it cool. Are there any Moretti colors that I should stay away from with this glass? This is my first Lauscha and I have nothing else. I've read Lauscha has a COE range of 102 to 105?

Old 2006-10-11, 9:43am

Very nice!!! I am working too hot all I got was grey. There were some swirls though! I'll try the "cool" way. Thanks!
Old 2006-10-11, 4:57pm
susanLambert

well am I the only person who hasn't gotten their glass yet?
Susan

Old 2006-10-11, 9:47pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

these are the first two beads I made with it, and it sure looks good to me, just do not over reduce it. The top bead is encased and I was in such a hurry to get the bead done, that I grabbed a lauscha olive stringer instead of a clear one to twist...so I got little green dots in there , and lot's of blue whisps. THe second one is clear, supernova and clear stringers, hard to photograph but I got a nice blue-coppergreen color out of it.
The weird thing is when you look at the rods they are fabulously purple, and when you look through the finished bead, it turned into a smoke brown transparant underneath the blue-green top, really weird stuff

Suzanne

Old 2006-10-12, 7:10am
Sorry for party rockin'

Do we have a "pulling my hair out" smiley??

<sigh>

Old 2006-10-12, 7:17am
<--- Time traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanlambert
well am I the only person who hasn't gotten their glass yet?
Susan
No, I haven't gotten mine either. Maybe I'll just pick some up in the swap shop instead.

Courtney
Old 2006-10-12, 8:11am

I played a little bit to see if I could get it to do anything. The next time I will try a darker base - these were transparent bases with Supernova stringer swirled on and encased. I had previously (with the Double Helix glasses) been turning my propane up to reduce but I used Carol's suggestion with turning down the oxy and working cool (mini-CC and concentrator) and it was much easier to get something to happen. These were hard to photograph but there are blues and purples.

Old 2006-10-12, 10:35am

If anyone can, please PM me with what color this glass is when you get it??!
I recieved mine today.
I was kinda surprised that there was nothing with the glass - no info sheet, not even the name scrawled onto a piece of paper.
Haven't played at all - may make my way to my studio later and play, but mine looked NOTHING like the R4 glass - more like a "Glassdaddy" color.

Old 2006-10-12, 12:25pm

Kristen,
The Supernova looks like a deep violet-purple on the rod - it does not look like any of the other silver colors I've seen so far. Just remember to work it really cool, and expect it to take longer to make your basic bead. I keep my glass really stiff when I wind it on the mandrel, and then turn the Oxy down to create your reduction flame - you don't want to turn the Propane up as it will add more heat.
Hope this helps,
Carol

Old 2006-10-12, 7:31pm
Procrastinate Now!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl
more like a "Glassdaddy" color.
That's exactly what I thought when I looked through a rod!

Here are my pictures... I'm on a hot head, and will be experimenting a bit more, when the weather isn't sooo dang cold. Tomorrow it's supposed to be in the 40s!! Maybe I'll try it tomorrow.

Pulled stringer at rod base with flash..

Pulled stringer at rod without flash... (same pull as above)

flower petals before finding out it is a silver based glass..
the other beads after finding out it is a silver based glass...
bead on left, solely supernova stringer wrapped until bead sized...
bead on right, vetrofond black with supernova.

Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
Old 2006-10-12, 9:34pm

Here is some of what came out of my kiln this afternoon. I'm working with the Supernova so cool that it just glows and stays really stiff - it's a good lesson in being patient and letting the glass flow, one good tug and the bead release comes loose from the mandrel. Base color - most of these are medium amythest, Supernova as rod or stringer then melt in keeping the glass just glowing. I work behind a didymium shield and I have found that I can see a purplish flame with any of the silver glasses, which I assume is some of the silver burning off. As long as I don't see this purple flare, I'm usually OK. I turn up the oxy and propane for more heat when encasing, but try to be careful to just let the heat touch the encasing rod - otherwise I get muddy patches. I try and keep the flame fairly cool while I'm flame polishing.
I'm not setting myself up as an expert on this stuff by any means, but I've managed to get some fairly decent results this way, and wanted to pass this along.
The four spacers are a medium amythest base, Supernova stringer melted in, encased with Lauscha clear - I think these look a lot like Boro.
The straight-sided lentil is clear base with silver dichro encased with Supernova, then the whole thing encased in Lauscha clear. The sparkle from the dichro does show up "in person". The oblong bead is Moretti electric yellow striker encased with Supernova, plunged dots spot encased with Lauscha clear, then the whole thing encased with Lauscha clear.

Hope this info helps some folks.
Carol

Old 2006-10-14, 11:27am

Okay, here is what I came up with after playing 2 nights ago......
I followed the tips provided in this thread as well as playing with some of the methods used to strike the R4 glasses.
Great tips, Crystal! Thanks for providing such great information
What I cannot tell you is which technique made the colors come out becauseI used all on the 2 beads. I know, stupid.....lol! I just wanted it to work!
I plan on doing more testing with it and striking one bead one way, and one another way, etc...you get it.
I'll let you know what I come up with.
Pretty cool reactions in these first ones, though.

The first, small one - photographed laying on my bed in the sun - so it appears lopsided, but isn't - seems to be the only way to see the color on that one is to put it in direct strong light. Otherwise it just looks black! That one is a small base of Supernova, struck (I swear I spent 40 min playing with that little tiny thing!!!! All spent trying to coax the color out - which you don't really see until you encase, and even then you can't tell what you have until you pull it out of the kiln) - ckear stringer decorating btw

Second - a galaxy bicone from me. Some cool reactions here, but a lot appears to center around where I placed the silver. I only placed it sporadically around the bead, but the most intense colors seem to come from the fuming reaction from the silver I think. Still pretty cool I guess.

I'm posting quite a few pics I think. Some were taken in direct sunlight, and some taken just outside of the direct sunlight. Just to show you how it looks different.
If I can coax colors out of this, I KNOW you all can. I'm reaction glass stupid and it just takes a bit of patience!!! I also placed it on a base of lt. transparent green and it didn't do ONE THING. Think base glass has something to do with it??
Attached Images

Old 2006-10-14, 11:35am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Kristen, that bicone is so pretty. Did you place silver foil under the supernova?

Vivian

-

Old 2006-10-14, 11:35am

Sadie's Mom -
Wow, very cool about the striking rods - that's interesting! I'll have to play with that some more.
Crystal - the first ones look like Boro! Very cool!!!

I think putting all of our brains together has been fantastic! Sharing your results and techniqes has been very generous - thank you!

Old 2006-10-14, 11:37am

Aw....Thanks Vivian -
I placed silver foil on top of the Supernova in small places around th bead and burned it in. See in the 2'nd picture, where there is that dense silvery color? That's where the silver is. The teal - there's no silver there - that's the supernova.
Both beads are encased, too. That seems to bring out the color too!

Last edited by Gardengirl; 2006-10-14 at 11:40am.
Old 2006-10-14, 2:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads
I wonder too if you have to use Lauscha clear to get those effects...
Just wanted to say that I used Vetrofond Clear to encase.
Lauscha clear + silver = disaster for me. It seems like it doesn't like it and cracks every single time I use it together.

Old 2006-10-14, 2:50pm
-boring beads-

Hi!

I didnīt have a lot of time to play with it...this is one of my first (and only so far ) attempts to get color: Supernova base, wrapped in silver foil and dotted with Lauscha clear. The little spots are tiny silver dots spread all over the bead...looks pretty cool:

Anastasia
Old 2006-10-14, 2:57pm

Kristen,
That bicone is cool! I love the different colors you pulled out. I think you may be right about the base color affecting the colors of the Supernova. So far I've pretty much stuck to purple, but have played a bit with reds and yellows and get some pretty neat colors from those. I found the same thing, that a lot of your color does not show up until you encase, so if you keep striking until you get lots of color and then encase, it ends up looking pretty burned out.
Carol