Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2011-02-05, 8:36am
Forever P~P~P :0)

Default Lily cane tutorial ??

Is there a tutorial out there, that shows you how to make "Lily" cane, as seen in so many Asian inspired beads? Ya know.......the airy, white petaled Lily's like in Akihiro Ohkama's bead making technique booklet? thanks bunches Sandy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-02-05, 8:37am

I think Malcolm has a DVD that shows that lily.

Old 2011-02-05, 10:20am

Smile

How to Vol 4, Flower in Glass (subtitled in English)

It is a instructional dvd with the Japanese artist Daisuke Takeuchi. He make three different glass flowers (a camelia, a Lily flower and a crocus)

Very well done ...

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Last edited by maroli; 2011-02-05 at 10:27am.
Old 2011-02-05, 10:30am

Cool

May be this e-book could be good too ...

The making of flowers murrini, part 2 : http://www.fengbeads.com/E-books.html

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Last edited by maroli; 2011-02-05 at 10:33am.
Old 2011-02-05, 2:09pm
I speak Murrini!

All great suggestions! Sandy, I hope you'll show how you do and tell which option you went with too!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-02-06, 7:57am

Thank you, ladies! I truly appreciate it. I'll pick one of them next friday (payday) heehee!!!

I'll probably be the Feng...... tutorial, since it's easier to set a printed copy of instructions by my work station versus having to remember whats on a DVD! Who knows.......but I'll let you know next week!

Sandy

Old 2011-02-10, 3:55pm
Mad about Glass

Take a class with Aki - you learn so much!

[url]

Old 2011-02-10, 7:43pm

Hi Jenn........ I'm still fairly new to the glass working world and unfortunately, I'm not familiar with all the great artists/teachers out there. How would I go about taking a class from Aki?

Sandy

Old 2011-02-12, 5:29pm

Default lilies

I just got the DVD, and it is wonderful! I already had the trowel and the lake tool that Daisuke Takeuchi uses to make his Satake glass beads. You will be amazed to see how that glass works compared to soda lime glass we normally use. And my first lily cane came out just fine, not perfect, but the lilies in my bead look great for a first time effort. Effetre did me proud, or vice versa!

I am waiting for Fengbead's tutorial as well, but couldn't wait to see the real deal. I will post my first bead here if I have not been deceived by how it looked going into the kiln! xiola

Old 2011-02-13, 1:52am

that would be great xiola blue. i would love to see how it turned out. maybe it will help me decide which learning tool to buy. thanks!!

Sandy

Old 2011-02-14, 4:27pm

Default llily cane

Well, the bead lied, a little. My cane was ok, but it really requires precision, and the components of the cane are six canes on a bed of clear, fused together and pulled to make the lily cane. It is the kind of thing you hold your breath through, as you pull each part out of the kiln and try to heat it enough to attach it...I am not telling anything new...this is all in the tombodma book some people have.

I will just say that the more experienced you are the better for using the DVD. I think fengbead's tutorial will be a good introduction to the complexities of lily cane. The DVD is over $50 and you would want to be ready for it!

That said, it is truly fun to be challenged by something new, and maybe ten or twelve canes from now I might get it all right. Xiola

ps...the cane is white and clear...the whole flower disappears when you heat it to spread out the petals! YIKES.

Old 2011-02-14, 4:38pm

Pictures PLEASE !!!

Sandy

Old 2011-02-14, 4:53pm
Mad about Glass

Sandy, Aki often teaches in the US and has a wonderful studio in Nara, Japan. If you ever get to Japan it is well worth a visit. I did a private class with Aki in his studio and it cost no more than attending a group class in Australia!!

[url]

Old 2011-02-14, 9:17pm

OMG.... I would give my left arm to take a class with Aki but finances just doesn't allow it at this time! Maybe......someday..... i'll make nice enough beads to sell, so I can save up to take his class!! thanks again for all your help!

Sandy