LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-12-29, 9:56am
FKA Stacia

Default Tea Stains??

Is there a trick to the tea staining process? I've made an ivory bead and its been in a cup of tea for about 4 hours now and I don't see a whole lot of staining happening. Any tips? Am I just too impatient?

Thanks

Stacia
Old 2005-12-29, 6:56pm
maybe tomorrow

Hi Stacia,

Sharon Peters emailed this out to our local group awhile back. She's OK with passing this along as long as Loren is given credit for it. This was Sharon's email.

Loren's Tea Trick

Loren Stump, the Michaelangelo of glass beadmaking (take his class sometime when you're at a good firm intermediate level, and it'll teach you things about control & working glass that you'd never have thought possible)... anyway, The Dreaded Stump says it's okay to spread the word about the tea process, so here it is. This my version of his basic formula, modified after lots of experimenting.

First: Do NOT use the commercial tea concentrates from the grocery. Even the plain black tea concentrate has chemicals added, which make the bead weird and sticky and lumpy after use. Cook up a heavy black tea concentrate yourself.

For COLOR VARIATION try herbal teas, but make sure the bags only contain herbs, and no additional flavorings or chemicals. You can get some interesting red and green variations.

1) Boil up about 1/3 cup of water in the microwave, bring it out and dump in a lot of teabags. I use dark tea, 10 bags. Get the mixture as dark as you can, dump the bags, and let cool, and put it in a small plastic container (if you're putting a bead in a glass container and drop it, protruding bits could break off. I've done this).

2) Dunk your annealed, cleaned bead into the brew, roll it around so it's got tea all over, and fish it out. Don't soak it, won't do any good - you just want tea on the surfaces and in the cracks. If there's a place you want more tea, dribble it on.

3) Put the bead in a cold pyrex dish, and put it into a cold oven. Bring the temp up to 250, and bake awhile. I usually give it 30 to 45 minutes, Loren gives it less. If you forget about it all day, no harm.

4) Remove from oven and cool.

5) Dampen a paper towel, wring it out, and wipe the tea off all the protruding surfaces, leaving it in the cracks. The towel should be almost dry, you don't want water getting into the cracks, it'll mess up the tea.

6) If you have a big blob in a crack, roll up a corner of the paper towel or use a toothpick and get in there to fix it. If you have a spot that needs more tea, dribble a bit more on and repeat the process.

7) By wiping the surface, you'll allow the bead to be worn without rubbing a brown stain onto your clothes. The tea can still be removed from the cracks with soaking and a toothbrush, but if you keep it dry, the longer it's on there the more permanent the staining (just like tea stains your teeth). It will eventually become permanent, but it could take years. Tell your customer to keep the bead dry.

NOTE: if you have any hairline cracks, this process shows them up. I tea-stain my really fancy stuff, look for cracks, then wash em off. The worse my eyes get, the better this technique! The tea stays good for a week or so in the refrigerator - toss it when it starts getting lumpy.

And give Loren credit if you pass this info on!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Toni Lutman; 2005-12-29 at 6:59pm.
Old 2005-12-29, 7:00pm

OOOOOoooooh! Rated 5 stars. Can this be moved to tutorials, I wonder?

Old 2005-12-30, 9:19am
FKA Stacia

Thank you so much Toni! A bit more involved than I was thinking, ha ha. I plan to give it a try, though.

I think I'll continue to look around and see if I can find something that might give a similar effect, but be a bit more permanent, i.e. not wash off.

I think this would be good in the tutorial section. I'll drop an email to Corri and see what she thinks.

Thanks again ,
Stacia
Old 2005-12-30, 11:40pm
Metallic Flame Studios

OMG, I'm gonna have to try this!!!!!!!!!!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2006-01-11, 8:12am
Flossy-Flossy

Can we see a bead that has been stained? I've never seen this process.
Old 2006-01-12, 6:48am
Anna Duhame

I saw pictures online somewhere showing that you can use permenamel glass paints to get a tea-stained look...it is permanent and will not wash off. You paint it on...work it into the creases...wipe off and then you bake the piece. There is another brand of paint...peebo or something like that. If you get a nice brown or burnt sienna that is supposed to work well. I bought some but haven't had a chance to use it yet. The other process sounds very cool! I am rating this 5 stars too and hope it gets moved to tutorials. Thank you!

Old 2006-01-13, 12:47pm
Redheaded Thread Killer

Here is a wonderful link for tea staining alternatives:

http://www.listen-up.org/kitty/beads/tea/tea.htm

Currently... torch is cold. Not sure when I'll be making glass again. Hothead and Lynx user.
Nothing on
Old 2006-01-13, 12:59pm
Established Thinker I Am

Here is a picture of some wovens that I stained.

I etch them first and then let them soak in strong coffee for about 24 hours. I do still need to wipe any excess off in some spots and they also can't get wet right away. As time goes on, the stainging becomes more permanent, but I don't have any real detailed research on how long though.
I have also baked them in the oven at about 250 degrees in a puddle coffee before, but I like the look of the longer soaking better.

Serena

l
l
l
Old 2006-01-14, 12:37am

I have tea stained beads and then coated with clear finger nail polish, and worn them for years and they look great. I dotted the polish on the heavily stained areas to be sure not to spread.
Old 2006-01-22, 8:29pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by taneres
Here is a picture of some wovens that I stained.

I etch them first and then let them soak in strong coffee for about 24 hours. I do still need to wipe any excess off in some spots and they also can't get wet right away. As time goes on, the stainging becomes more permanent, but I don't have any real detailed research on how long though.
I have also baked them in the oven at about 250 degrees in a puddle coffee before, but I like the look of the longer soaking better.

Serena
those beads are gorgeous!! they remind me of the colors in hemp! beautiful!

Old 2011-02-10, 3:57am

Pretty beads, love the shape, too!

Old 2011-02-10, 7:49am
Formerly FishBulb

What a cool idea! I never thought of this.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-02-10, 8:47am
MacGalver

I've seen and admired the tea stained beads, but I never thought of etching to prep the surface! Of course, that's a great idea.......

Jo