LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-15, 1:23pm

Thank you Heather/Dasi. Do you always meet in Jax or does it move around? My daughter is having an end of the year slumber party that weekend..... but I would love to hear more abou the GD.

Jen

Last edited by moushka; 2012-05-15 at 1:30pm.
Old 2012-05-17, 7:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushka View Post
Thank you Heather/Dasi. Do you always meet in Jax or does it move around? My daughter is having an end of the year slumber party that weekend..... but I would love to hear more abou the GD.

Jen
We move around every month... Mostly, the meetings are in the Orlando area.... hope to meet soon!
go to the florida glass dragons website.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2012-05-27, 4:05am

The stairs have been added to the porch (yea!)

The drywall has been painted with sealer/primer. Headed back now to paint some sample colors on the walls and see what we like. I found 3 lovely colors in the oops section ($5 per gallon) - hoping I can make them look nice. My DD wants stripes on her side, so we will have to play with some ideas.

Post pics later today.
Old 2012-05-27, 5:05am

New pics on facebook

https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...2927107&type=1

primed drywall

future torching corner

stairs

oops paint samples - think i am going to lighten the green, and go w/the blue/green combo

Last edited by moushka; 2012-05-27 at 5:27am. Reason: adding pics
Old 2012-05-27, 5:44pm

Painted - my daughter wanted stripes for her half.... tomorrow, prepping the floor, cutting base boards, trim, etc.

Old 2012-05-28, 9:35am
Curmudgeon Engineering

I love the studio but I am curious as to why the windows are so low?

PJH
Old 2012-05-28, 3:49pm

DH plan to match the house. The person we bought the house from put in taller than avg windows when he built it. We love it bc we can sit on the couch and look into the woods behind our home. I am pretty short - so it works for me.
Old 2012-05-29, 9:33am
Formerly Fancypants

OH my goodness, Moushka that is going to be beautiful when it is completed. Congratulations on your new studio. I love it, I also love that setting all so cozy.

Mine is just about complete, can't wait to start moving everything in. Isn't this fun??

Don't we both have the best husbands?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-05-29, 10:24am

Wow, how pretty! I have no windows, I envy you on that.
Bea
Old 2012-05-29, 4:10pm

Thanks Diane and Bea. Starting to get super excited. Have been setting arrangements on graph paper for a while now. And yes... we to have some of the best husbands! He was a bit aggravated with the stripes - but I told him anything that keeps 13 year old daughter spending time in the same room as me is worth it. I can always repaint later if I want to. She has her sewing / craft half and I get a glass half.
Old 2012-05-29, 4:39pm
put a bird on it

It's looking great! Having a new work space is so inspiring, isn't it?
Old 2012-05-29, 5:59pm
shirts

Quote:
Thanks Diane and Bea. Starting to get super excited. Have been setting arrangements on graph paper for a while now. And yes... we to have some of the best husbands! He was a bit aggravated with the stripes - but I told him anything that keeps 13 year old daughter spending time in the same room as me is worth it. I can always repaint later if I want to. She has her sewing / craft half and I get a glass half.
Lucky daughter!! Mine is not allowed in my little space... Though she is 4 years old and under foot most of the time - the opposite stage from a teenager!

I have been enjoying watching this thread and am getting excited that you are now in the "fill it up" stage!! Looking forward to seeing it come together!
Old 2012-05-29, 6:33pm

Thanks Shirts and Elise. I am getting excited also. All this build up though, and to be honest I am simply a woman who loves glass. I am not very good (not false modesty), but I just love glass. I am more enthusiastic than accurate, lol.
Old 2012-05-31, 7:17pm
Formerly Fancypants

That is looking so nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-06-01, 9:37am
shirts

Quote:
Thanks Shirts and Elise. I am getting excited also. All this build up though, and to be honest I am simply a woman who loves glass. I am not very good (not false modesty), but I just love glass. I am more enthusiastic than accurate, lol.
Ha!! I have to admit that I feel the same way!! I only started this up last July (less than 1 year after I tried lampworking at a weekend workshop, I will have my own working studio...). Deep down, I feel this pressure to create AMAZING little beads because I have my very own studio, after all! I am reminding myself that because I will have my very own studio, I can practice, practice, practice whenever I feel like it (in moderation!), I WILL create absolutely magical and amazing little beads!!

As I type, the light switches and electrical sockets are being installed and tomorrow I tackle laying the ceramic tile floor!! Once that is done, then I can start moving things in a really start getting a feel for the space, what I need, and where to put stuff. (Like you, I have been playing with grid paper, but not too long ago took it up another notch: I downloaded the Ikea kitchen planner and clicked and dragged away and created a beautiful layout that I was able to see in "3D" and everything! It makes a good reference now, as I look for affordable replacements for what I put in my "dream Ikea layout").

Take care and hope that things are going well in your studio!
Annie
Old 2012-06-01, 11:40am
Formerly Thetabird

I think there are alot of us like that. I also have stained glass, and I just feel good having it!! I would love to look out the window and see your little house. It is looking great and you are going to have sooo much fun!

How I lost 50 lbs

Old 2012-06-01, 5:01pm

Thank you ladies. I can spend hours looking at beads and jewelry in this forum. I hope one day with enough practice, I can make 2 beads that look the same on purpose. I have some nice pendants or focals, but don't ask me how I did it or to do it again.

Annie, please continue to post pics of your progress so we can follow along.

Jen
Old 2012-06-03, 3:06am

The floor is installed. Baseboards, window and door trim going up today. Also hoping to have table framed out and painted, so we can tile it later this week.

Old 2012-06-05, 11:52am
tiptrinket

It's looking great!!!
Can't wait to see the pictures when it is finished.

Old 2012-06-05, 6:46pm

Hi everyone, sorry to post and run. Last day of school tomorrow and DD is cramming for finals.

Old 2012-06-06, 1:31am
shirts

Ooooh!! Work surfaces!! So exciting! I was just lying awake in bed, wondering how I will build them for my little studio and low and behold you post photos of the very thing I am thinking of (going to go and google it!). I got the tile grouted last night (ugh! that was AWFUL) and so I have started daydreaming about making the work surfaces!
Looking good!!
Old 2012-06-06, 4:08am

Glad to help, lol. There will be smaller tables underneath to act like a shelf, but provide versatility if we need to pull them out. We are also going to tile the top of the table. I made a deal w/our local lowes a while back. i hauled off their broken boxes of tile. i paid 10.00 and my husband said i paid them to take away their garbage. i managed to salvage almost 100 square feet of tile, 3 different patterns. It is those small triumphs, lol.
Old 2012-06-08, 7:17am

Florida Glass Dragons is having a meeting this sunday!!! hope you can make it!!!
Heather Ferman's Studio
SUNDAY June 10,2012
Where: Heather Ferman's

Time: 10:30am-2pm or later if you want to hang out....

Bring your favotire Heathy Snack to share.

Last edited by Dasi; 2012-06-28 at 8:14am.
Old 2012-06-08, 5:44pm

Thanks Heather. Our dog was bitten by a water moccasin this afternoon. He is at the vet now. Vet won't promise anything, but says he feels positive about things. The snake was small, and bit him in the foot. Luckily my husband saw it, killed the snake and got Thunder to the vet right away.

Please keep me posted on events though. I can't wait to start torching again, and would love to connect in person w/other glass people.

Thank you.
Jen
Old 2012-06-09, 5:53am

Quote:
Thanks Heather. Our dog was bitten by a water moccasin this afternoon. He is at the vet now. Vet won't promise anything, but says he feels positive about things. The snake was small, and bit him in the foot. Luckily my husband saw it, killed the snake and got Thunder to the vet right away.

Please keep me posted on events though. I can't wait to start torching again, and would love to connect in person w/other glass people.

Thank you.
Jen
If you know any other glass people in your area please let them know!!

Old 2012-06-10, 5:08pm

The table is mostly finished. We have finished the tile layout, and can grout in a few days. Then we need to finish the table edges and hook up the fan. I think he is building a small lean too outside, for tank storage and a small sink, but probably not until the fall.

At the end of the table on the right side, is another black bookcase. Scored them on craigslist, $20 for both.

Old 2012-06-10, 5:08pm

The table is mostly finished. We have finished the tile layout, and can grout in a few days. Then we need to finish the table edges and hook up the fan. I think he is building a small lean too outside, for tank storage and a small sink, but probably not until the fall.

At the end of the table on the right side, is another black bookcase. Scored them on craigslist, $20 for both.

Old 2012-06-10, 5:23pm
shirts

WOW!!! It is looking so wonderful!! Bravo!!!
Old 2012-06-11, 2:48pm
tiptrinket

Your glass storage and all those organizers look GREAT!

Old 2012-06-12, 3:49am

Thank you Tip and Annie. I am hoping that we grout the table tile tonight or tomorrow night. Still need lots of shelving and set up, but I want to set up torch to get a handle on where/how. this set up is very different from my old studio and the table is much bigger. as i am only 5 foot, i can just reach the back of the table, lol. need to re-figure where i will hang tools etc. Not sure what we will get done this weekend.

I am off Friday and Monday. Sat/Sun we are going to Cedar Key for the weekend. It is my dd 13th bday, our 21st anniv and father's day, so a weekend of fishing for dan, walking the 2 blocks to the ice cream parlor on her own (with her 13 year old cousin) to demonstrate her new teenage independence for dd, and reading on the boat for me. hope everyone is having a terrific week.