Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2006-11-11, 8:03pm

Default inexpensive glass storage idea

I wanted to let everyone who was interested know that Home Depot sells plastic downspout for $6 for a 10 foot piece and that is what my husband is using to build my glass rack instead of fence railing. Cheaper and lighter than the fencing.
Donna
Old 2006-11-12, 8:36am

I started out using downspout also. I bought the plastic not the metal. I thought it worked great. I was happy with it but it did take up a lot of space for 100 colors. It holds over 4 pounds of one color.
Then I finally saw the fence railing and bought some. (I found it outside in the yard of home depot) I like it much better and I am slowly switching over to just fence railing as I can afford a few more pieces. the downspout is just too big for most of the colors I use. The fence railing is just the perfect size and takes up less room. It also stacks much better. Think about it. It is only about $2 more for 10 feet. I wish I had found it before I bought about 10 downspouts and cut them up.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-11-12, 11:44am
runs with pruning shears

I've been using downspout, but, when you have a lot of colors, and the stack gets large, it doesn't hold up too well. You can subdivide the space & use for 2 colors (what I've been doing but a little messy).

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt & go to my local hardware store to get what I believe it the optimal cheap, solid solution: a wood shoe rack/organizer.

the store in my neighborhood has one that's roughly 4'x6' with 8"x8" compartments for $35.

I haven't done it yet (cause there's always so much to do) and I've invested so much time & energy into the downspout thing....

But, I've been on a bit of an organizing binge (one room at a time) and am getting new storage solutions. This one's now at the top of my list!

i don't know if this is something everyone has easy access to. In hawaii people take their shoes off when the enter a house. Most homes have them by the front door...and most hardware stores carry them
Old 2006-11-12, 6:47pm

Yep I found the same thing. My glass is stacked on a shelf above my kiln due to lack of space and the downspout wasn't quite solid enough to support all that glass. Also, for some reason I felt compelled to fill each opening (they had a mix of colors) but now that I've changed over to fence post it's much tidier and I realised how much glass I had!

Time for me to get some new fence post I think. This time I'll try and cut my own ...

sadie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-11-13, 3:37pm

Default same idea, just a little different product

I was at home depot looking into this fence post and down spout storage solution, but for me as a newbie, the size was just to big. there was a solution for me though, in the same area there are pvc 2x6(1 3/4"x 5 1/2") for fencing, that have structual dividers already in them. I paid $16 for 16'. One can easy get 1 3/4 lb of 5mm rod in to each cubby, or a few rods short of two lbs, they stack like a dream due to the width, no need for milk carts.Shown are two sections stacked. I also think if one stair stepped them by a inch increment, and glued them together that it be easier to view and easier to pull the needed rods, just a thought
Old 2006-11-13, 5:12pm

Those are the fencing I was mentioning above. I love them. I have not glued mine. I just stacked them in 3 high cubbies or bookcases without backs I bought at target. I also stacked them on top of each other also and they work perfect.

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-11-13, 6:20pm

sorry Dasi,
your right, there fence railing. being sixteen foot long could be a problem for some to get home. Home Depot would not cut them in half for me, but i had a saw in the truck. i used a miter saw to cut them to lenght as well.
Old 2006-11-13, 6:32pm
I've got goodies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by murf View Post
sorry Dasi,
your right, there fence railing. being sixteen foot long could be a problem for some to get home. Home Depot would not cut them in half for me, but i had a saw in the truck. i used a miter saw to cut them to lenght as well.
They also come in 8ft lengths and if you ask nicely, or show a little leg, they'll cut it to fit in your car.

LE members get 5% off all purchases!!
Coupon code LE

Old 2006-11-13, 8:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandora View Post
I've been using downspout, but, when you have a lot of colors, and the stack gets large, it doesn't hold up too well. You can subdivide the space & use for 2 colors (what I've been doing but a little messy).

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt & go to my local hardware store to get what I believe it the optimal cheap, solid solution: a wood shoe rack/organizer.

the store in my neighborhood has one that's roughly 4'x6' with 8"x8" compartments for $35.

I haven't done it yet (cause there's always so much to do) and I've invested so much time & energy into the downspout thing....

But, I've been on a bit of an organizing binge (one room at a time) and am getting new storage solutions. This one's now at the top of my list!

i don't know if this is something everyone has easy access to. In hawaii people take their shoes off when the enter a house. Most homes have them by the front door...and most hardware stores carry them
Just be sure that if you have to put it together yourself that the pegs are NOT plastic, but metal. I put together a cheap fiberboard cube set and last summer, the ambient heat from the weather combined with the weight of the glass melted the plastic pegs so that the shelves sagged and gave way. Broke some glass. I replaced them with sturdy wood screws and no more problem.
Old 2007-03-29, 12:20am
Glass-aholic

I was using the stacked method and then i came up with pvc pipes cut in STAPLES crates! I drilled holes and put wheels on them and mow they go wherever i need them, under the bench or anywhere! hach holds aprox.30-50 different colors depending on the size of your pvc piping, and it is cheap. wheels from home depo like 1.99 a piece pvc like 3 bucks for a 8 ft length and 5 bucks for the crate. i also used an epoxy when i bolted on the wheels, glass is heavy!
________
Iolite temp

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:21pm.
Old 2007-03-29, 2:14am
Knob Creek Glass

Default My fence post storage

Here is my storage with the fence posts. Really sturdy.

Last edited by barbaracollins; 2007-03-29 at 2:15am. Reason: Duplicate picture
Old 2007-03-29, 4:13am
state-eternal change

I updated my glass storage from heavy cardboard tubes to the paint spinner rack from Michaels - God bless those 40 % off coupons!!

Old 2007-03-29, 10:45am
FireDancer Glass

wow! Glass heaven here I come!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post

Christy
Old 2007-03-29, 1:16pm
Covered in glitter

Ohhhhh Barbara....I'm in lust!

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2007-03-29, 1:20pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I was using the stacked method and then i came up with pvc pipes cut in STAPLES crates! I drilled holes and put wheels on them and mow they go wherever i need them, under the bench or anywhere! hach holds aprox.30-50 different colors depending on the size of your pvc piping, and it is cheap. wheels from home depo like 1.99 a piece pvc like 3 bucks for a 8 ft length and 5 bucks for the crate. i also used an epoxy when i bolted on the wheels, glass is heavy!
Do you have a pic? This sounds a lot like what I would like to do, I just need to see how you put it all together.

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2007-03-29, 1:22pm

My storage was perfect as long as I was getting 39 inch rods, now that they are all 12 or 13 inches I just have piles of glass.... One shelf of a cupboard for every COE! I need Barbs storage! I think I have at least that much glass too!

I was going to use PVC pipe but you waste so much space with round tubes and you need something to hold them....

Lynne
Old 2007-03-31, 10:47am
Glass-aholic

i'll get some pics this week!

________
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE VAPORIZER

Last edited by jaci; 2011-04-17 at 7:22pm.
Old 2007-04-01, 4:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaracollins View Post
How deep are your storage units... Your glass is sticking out a fair distance so are you cutting each 16 foot piece into 10.1 inch segments that gets 19 units per piece.

Lynne
Old 2007-04-01, 12:35pm
Disconnected

Damn!! I have been driving all over the place all week end, this stuff is nowhere to be seen...
Old 2007-04-02, 3:19am
Knob Creek Glass

I had them cut into 12 inch pieces. The rails on the far right are a little shorter because they were the leftovers. They work well for the usual 13 inch Morettie etc rods.

And then I bought Bullseye, which is on the left and sticks out more. If I would have thought about it a little more, I would have had them cut longer for the bullseye.
Old 2007-04-02, 3:29am
BeadsonCypress

When I was at a studio recently, I saw the large fence posts divided up into half by inserting a flat piece of plastic (or anything) diagonally across each opening. So....if you don't need a lot of space for say, stringers, or less used colors, you can double the amount of "cubbies"......neat idea huh??
Old 2007-04-02, 5:04am

Yea I know what you mean about Bullseye rods being longer.. Maybe we should start a thread suggesting that they- Bullseye get with the program and make their rods the same length as everyone else!

My Bullseye rods are stuck in the bottom of my 39 inch rod holder, not sure what I'll do with that when I run out of 39 inch rods.....

Lynne
Old 2007-04-02, 6:25am
Ezzy

I really wish I'd seen the fence posts before I started doing the pvc tubing. The old man threatens that when I have all the pvc filled I don't need any more glass, I'm not so sure he knows what he's talking about.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Old 2007-04-02, 2:23pm

Boxer girl fixed me up with fence sections. I went with 9" lengths and kept them away from the wall. My goal is to have most of the excess stick out the back instead of be uneven in the front. I'm also thinking of a shelf to go over the top to avoid dust from what does stick out.
Old 2007-04-09, 11:42am
THe quiet one....

I can't put up pictures right now cause I'm not at home, but here is some advice for setting up fencing storage-

First cut your sections different lengths for different rod lengths. Then stack them with the longest on the bottom. This accomadates the Bullseye and other long brands. I think mine are 15", but don't quote me on that. Then make your upper layers of fencing shorter.

Second thing I did was to progressivly shorten the rows as I went up. Like stair steps. I kept cutting myself on the glass under what I was reaching for when I had the PVC set up and the glass was all at the same length.

Clear as mudd?

Hopes this helps

Vikki
Old 2007-04-10, 2:07am
Knob Creek Glass

Vikki, that is a great idea!! Now, if I just had a larger room to put all this in!
Old 2007-04-30, 7:36pm
THe quiet one....

If any of you are having trougle finding this railing you can special order it at Lowes. I went there today to get more and couldn't find it. When I asked somebody they said they had had it in stock by mistake. What you have to ask for are the rails to a post and rail fence. It is the kind of fence you see around horse ranches. All you want to order is the rail. It comes in either 8' or 16' ft sections. 16' was $2 cheaper. I take my own hack saw and cut it in half right there so it will fit in the minivan easier.

I also called Menards and Home depot and it can be ordered there too.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up as some people seem to be having a hard time finding this stuff or are having trouble getting it home.

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2007-05-01, 5:26am

Is there a brand name or manufacturer... I spent 30 minutes going through fencing catalogues in Ellseworth ME on Sunday, I think the guy thought I was nuts... He kept trying to sell me things I didn't want... Of course my DH who has seen pictures of the product wasn't much better!

Lynne

Send me an email or a PM
I answer everything, any excuse not to do something useful!
Old 2007-05-01, 10:40am
THe quiet one....

I think the brand is U.S. Fence. Here are a couple of pictures to work with-

You don't need the posts just the rails. You would normally order the parts to this fence seperate and build the fence yourself. You only need to order the rails.

Vikki

If you have to have an attitude...pick a good one
Old 2007-05-01, 9:45pm

after much toing and froing, emailing back and forth, I have found the Australian distributor for this railing.

Western Australia
Tyron Bird
Fence-Deck Solutions
tyron@fencedeck.com.au

Waiting for prices from this company.

or

Queensland (Sunshine Coast)
Jackie
jax@polvinfencing.com.au

Polvin offers 1' cut sections @ $3 a section. Pickup.

Kym