No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-01-24, 9:16pm
Ad astra per aspera

Question Running Oxygen from one space to another

I'm trying to solve the problems with my oxy generator ('nother thread, 'nother place), and DH wondered out loud about my returning to tanked oxygen instead, but keeping the tank in the garage and running hose through a chase up to my studio.

So the big thing we're both wondering...would I have to run rigid pipe or could I just run my regular oxygen hose? The physical run would be about 6 feet up the garage wall, through the wall into an HVAC chase (large flexible/insulated ductwork), up another foot, out a wall, and up the remaining 2 feet to my torch. The entire enclosed length would be less than two feet. We figure we absolutely need some sort of hardware "escutcheon" to secure the holes in the two walls (to protect the wall and the hose).

I should probably mention that this is the same chase through which my natural gas line runs DOWN from the attic space. That line is all the newer flexible gas line (the cool stuff coated in yellow), approved, installed and pressure tested 5 years ago.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-01-25, 3:04pm
Alaska Boro

Give google a try and search for something like 'oxygen plumbing'. The other possibility is to check with your local welding supplier. Ask them for suggestions. Then check with your regional building codes folks and see what the rules are.

The issue with using black pipe is that the threads on the ends are cut with oil. And oil and oxygen do not mix. The other issue is that oxygen is an accelerant and a real issue should there ever be a fire.

As a side note, talked to our natural gas folks and they said that in one case a person used a garden hose for NG from their house to a shed. While that worked it was no where close to code compliant.

There are many duck tape solutions that will work, but only a few answers that are within code compliance that will keep you safe.
Old 2011-01-26, 9:55am
Gentleman of Leisure

I would not put it into a heating/ac chase...

Probably preferred method when going through walls and up another floor would be soft drawn copper tubing... Get "cleaned" tubing (oil free- for refrigeration system) it usually is available at better hardware stores or plumbing supply....

Not sure if your NG line in HVAC chase is even legal...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2011-01-26 at 10:01am.
Old 2011-01-26, 2:58pm
Ad astra per aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
I would not put it into a heating/ac chase...

Probably preferred method when going through walls and up another floor would be soft drawn copper tubing... Get "cleaned" tubing (oil free- for refrigeration system) it usually is available at better hardware stores or plumbing supply....

Not sure if your NG line in HVAC chase is even legal...
Interesting! We got a permit, and the gas folks were very willing. When this house was being built, we used to poke through ours and others that were in similar stages of construction. The funny thing was, for this particular model, we saw at least three variations of HVAC/plumbing/gas lines going in. I couldn't understand why they didn't stick to one simple set of plans. At any rate, one of those variations had the gas line running right alongside the air duct, up to the heat pump in the attic space. That's what gave me the idea that the room that's now my studio could be my studio in the first place. Plus...the model had a gas fireplace in the exact niche where my torch is...which is what I cited when I got the permit.

Old 2011-01-26, 6:17pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Hmmm... I personally would be vary caution what I ran in my HVAC ducts....

I know when I was working no wiring could be run in any duct unless it was "Plenum" rated so if it burned it would not give off toxic gasses....

Along side a duct is no problem but if you have a line inside duct and a gas leak and there is any fan running its going to distribute the gas through whole house....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal