No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-02, 8:25pm

Question Kilns in Canada

Good evening everyone,

I have been in contact with the wonderful people at Glass Hive regarding buying one of their kilns.

It was brought to my attention by Michael (one of the Glass Hive people) that they do not have CSA approval.

I'm not sure if this is that big of a deal or not. There is a concern that if I get inspected (I'm working as a hobbyist at my Condo) that I could be fined and forced to get rid of my non-CSA rated equipment or if there was an insurance claim that needed to be made, it could be rejected.

What are your thoughts? Do you know of a reliable and quality kiln that is CSA approved for use in Canada?

Thanks,

Kimberley
White Rock/Surrey, BC, Canada
Old 2014-04-03, 1:36am
Alaska Boro

Send an email to the folks at Glass Hive (or phone) and ask them for suggestions on how other folks in Canada handled the issue.
Old 2014-04-03, 5:48am
GabysGlassWorks

I am from Kelowna, BC. Just moved to Kentucky for my husbands work last July. I bought a Glass Hive and was told the same thing. My husband is a chemical engineer and has to deal alot with CSA equipment stuff. He told me it isn't an issue unless I plan on teaching. I don't. For me this is more of a hobby. I also bought the short guy which is their smallest kiln. I would not buy this if I was going to teach because it isn't very big. I went ahead and ordered my kiln with them. I have been very happy. Their customer service is excellent and I love my little kiln.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2014-04-03, 8:07am
Gay rights R human rights

I went through this nightmare myself when one of my neighbours called the cops on me (they thought I was cooking meth for Christ's sake because of my propane hose). I was so upset because I know Mike and Pam make the best kilns and use quality CSA approved parts. Unfortunately that is not enough for the Canadian government.

I was told that I could have the kiln tested so it could be certified. However, the test is almost $2000 with no guarantees that it will pass. I was heartbroken but I had no choice but to sell my kiln to a gentleman in Washington state. I now have a paragon bluebird xl as it is CSA approved.

In no way is this issue any fault of Mike and Pam. It would be way too expensive for them to have the kilns and processes certified. The volume of business just wouldn't justify it.

If I didn't have electrical inspectors breathing down my neck, I would have never gotten rid of my kiln.

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2014-04-03, 3:42pm

Ah, yes, Mike mentioned that he had a Canadian customer who had an issue with a neighbour calling in 'suspicious activity'.

I'm really disappointed about the kiln, I really wanted a Glass Hive. Price is an issue and the short guy is a good price and meets my needs. *pouts*
Old 2014-04-03, 3:45pm

I have done some sleuthing around and there are two main differences between CSA and UL.

1) CSA requires the element be covered or imbedded.
2) CSA requires that there is a safety shut off when the door is opened.

The Glass Hive kilns have an imbedded element but there is no safety shut off.

I'm tempted to still get the Glass Hive and take my chances, but... I have reservations.
Old 2014-04-04, 4:35am

I'm in Australia and we have similar regs, I went with Paragon (I have a SC3 and GL1 as they meet the Australian standard, far from cheap but really nice units ... That smiley face is an eighteen, why does that happen?
Old 2014-04-04, 7:55am
Formerly FishBulb

I'm in Canada and ended up with a Paragon for the same reason. I went with that instead of a non-CSA-approved kiln just in case there should be a fire for any reason in my garage/studio. Even if the kiln wasn't the cause of the fire, the insurance could be voided.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2014-04-06, 4:53am
state-eternal change

When I lived in Canada, I purchased my AIM kiln through Nortel. Nortel went through a bunch of trouble to get it up to standards if I recall. Talk with Jean there, she can help you.

Working without listed equipment is a NIGHTMARE to deal with if you ever get inspected for whatever reason.

Old 2014-04-06, 6:56am
hi ho hi ho its off to ..

I use a paragon F130 for that reason, although I do have one of their (Glass Hive) stand alone controllers for my slumping kiln. Glass hive kilns from what I have seen will meet the CSA requirements but the costs of getting that little sticker are more than a small business like glass hive should have to absorb for a small slice of business over the border. Just be aware that if you use non certified CSA equipment your insurance will be voided if it causes damage.

People who call me weird think I should take it personally. if you really want to upset me you should call me normal !!!

on

Old 2018-03-08, 10:55pm

Default Kilns in Canada

After reading this thread, I am still a little confused. For a kiln to be CSA approved, should it have a sticker on it, saying so? I know that Jean, at Nortel says that all kilns coming through Nortel are CSA approved, but I don't see a sticker on my kiln. Mine is an older Jen Ken purchased through Nortel. I am wondering if the insurance companies would pay a claim without anything verifying that it was CSA approved.

Tags
annealing, annealing oven, canada, csa, glass hive, kiln, kilns