TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2009-07-30, 9:36pm
I speak Murrini!

OK - here's my first try! At least it didn't blow up! I think I would have had more success if I'd not tried to apply it on a vessel for my first attempt

I definitely need a more interesting stopper - but I think the rest of the murrini slices have potential!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-07-30, 11:16pm

First of all-- Claudia! Big hug of thanks to you for being so generous as to share something which I know took you a long time to develop. Thank you.

Second -- De that is one kick a$$ nice vessel and feather!

Jen
Old 2009-07-30, 11:52pm
I speak Murrini!

Thanks Jen! I was hesitant to post it - but since it gave me fits, I figured I'd show it's little self here and try again in the next few days. Next time, on something a little more solid (giggle!)

De

Old 2009-07-31, 4:41am

De,

That's awesome...you got the hang of it quick! I gave it whirl too, but my layers weren't think enough. Cool effect anyway though! I love it! I'll post pictures at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-07-31, 5:41am

beautiful work, De, that looks really good ! ! ! that's really not so easy to put them onto a vessel (cute shape !) or a hollow bead.

Old 2009-07-31, 10:31am
I speak Murrini!

Thank you so very much, Claudia, for everything! That compliment coming from YOU means the world to me!

Hugs from Ca,
De

Old 2009-08-03, 8:20pm
Semi Retired

Thank you Claudia, I pulled the cane and made my first feather bead. It was so much fun.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-08-03, 10:29pm
I speak Murrini!

Mary~~~

LET'S SEE IT...LET'S SEE IT...LET'S SEE IT!!!!

De

Old 2009-08-03, 11:01pm

Smile Great Tutorial

Thanks so much. Nice job of explaining the process.
Old 2009-08-04, 6:14pm
Semi Retired

The dark lichen I used as background reacted badly with Joe's blue stone shard but when I saw that the shape looked like a giant black feather, I added my feather murrini, a eye murrini, and Fallen Eagle murrini from Feng Frit Factory. I used Cim Peace and Lauscha Atomic Brownie to make the feather murrini.

|

|

|

|

Last edited by dichromary; 2009-08-04 at 6:17pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2009-08-04, 7:18pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Mary - it's GREAT!!! I love the way you "saw" the need for and applied the accents! You feather murrini came out very nicely! I have some Atomic Brownie but have never tried it...me likes!

Thanks so much for showing it!

De

Old 2009-08-04, 7:28pm
Semi Retired

Thanks De. I have to try to salvage a bead if I can because rarely my beads come out as I visualized.

|

|

|

|

Old 2009-08-07, 8:29am

Hi. I purchased a book from Japan that shows how to make feather murrini in a way that you see in the 1000 glass beads book. It is similar to this.

I have had some folks contact me about that tutorial but I have also been advised that I can't just copy it and pass it out without the permission of the book writer. I would be happy to tell you the name of the book if you want it though. For those of you that have emailed me, I have been trying to send a reply but my email is having troubles today and is bouncing back. I can say that the tutorial is almost exactly like the one posted here except you just keep building the sides in clear and white and never put the darker colors on the end of it. I described this in the bottom paragraph. That is really the only difference now that I've studied both tutorials. So, the fan murrini I was referring to is the same process. Just keep adding clear and white.

Does anyone have any idea how to make the type of murrini that I've seen in some of the gallery Japanese style beads that look like they have several small circles in the center and then on the outer most part it flares out into a vine or something? I am stumped on that one.

The main difference in the feather ones I have is that you build the layers on the paddle with white first putting clear on either side. Repeat this several times on either side always putting clear between the white. I prefer CIM white as I think it is more dense. Then, you wrap all of that in white. I like to encase that part as well just so nothing bleeds but that is just me. This is where it is sometimes difficult. You have to remove the punty you were using at this point and attach it to one of the sides of the square mass you just made. Don't attach it to the other side across from the punty you had but rather on one of the sides of this mass. Then pull. I always anneal at this point or at least put it in vermiculite to cool down slower. Then, cut it into pieces around a center stamen without each piece touching each other. Put clear between the gaps. Then, pull again. I work on a barracuda and my biggest problem that has always given me a fit is the pulling. If I pull too fast, it gets too skinny. If I pull to slow, I end up with a big waste and trying to reheat it and pull again makes bumpy parts. I have never been able to pull while it is in the torch. I just can't do it. Anyone have a suggestion on a better way for me to get a good pull?

I get the gather really hot and try to pull it and then I end up with a lot of waste on the ends and some skinnier than I need and some fatter. If I try to pull, reheat and pull more, I end up with a big lumpy thing that doesn't work either. Does anyone have a good suggestion on how to get a nice even pull when you've spent all that time building up the murrini and putting it together? I've also done some that I built them up and spent hours doing it only to pull it out and have the outer encasing layer start to crack before I can finish pulling. I don't know how to get this right and it is very frustrating.

Oh, by the way, using a boro punty will work better. If anyone is in need of a clear boro punty, I am relatively sure you can buy them by the rod at moretti and more.

I've been trying to make Japanese style murrini for years. If anyone knows someone that sells them, please let me know. I'd prefer to buy them simply because they are very difficult and I believe they are harder to make with 104.

Thanks so much!

For those of you that are having success, how do you pull it once you have the glass ready and stacked properly. I would really love to get that because I just never get a good even pull on it.

Last edited by Rachel; 2009-08-17 at 3:29pm.
Old 2009-08-08, 2:31pm

Thank you for sharing this technique! I love to make murrine and gave this one a shot. It looks great on my NA girls, though it's a bit lost in the hair on this one:

Rachel, I am very interested in the book you mentioned. What is the title?

Thank you!

Old 2009-08-08, 2:44pm
I speak Murrini!

OMG! It's fantastic!!!! Mavis...you know I'm one of your BIGGEST FANS! Love your work - past and present!

Hugs,
De

Old 2009-08-08, 4:14pm

Back at ya, De...and thank you!

Old 2009-08-11, 9:09am

Wow Mavis. Love it!! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-08-14, 1:25pm

Thank you, Paula!

Old 2009-08-16, 2:41pm

mavis, fantastic bead, I am blown away !

claudia

Old 2009-08-18, 8:48am

wow, thanks, Claudia! I visited your site and was pretty blown away myself. Since I have a thing for faces, your face beads really appealed to me. Thank you again for the technique.

Old 2009-08-18, 1:07pm

All, The title of the book I mentioned is Contemporary Glass Beads by 30 Japanese Artists. I managed to get a copy on eBay but I don't know if there is one there now. There are some websites in Japan that sell it. I believe you can google it and find some sellers for it but I did have to wait for mine to come from Japan even through eBay. I felt it was worth it. I also get my Japanese DVDs which are always very helpful from Malcolm at Artcoinc.com. I've been meaning to check and see if he has gotten more. There is one called Flowers in Glass that is very good. It shows how to make the Lily murrini in detail and a few other things that are great too. I am facinated with the complex murrini in beads so I grab everything I can find.

I anyone needs help finding the book, let me know. I will try to help. You might be able to send Malcolm a PM or email and he might be able to get more than one copy of the book if a few of you want it. I just got lucky and found one on eBay.

I believe you can email the folks on this website: http://homepage3.nifty.com/tonbotama/ and perhaps get the book from them. The eye candy is very good on that site anyway.

I will help if I can though!

Last edited by Rachel; 2009-08-18 at 1:09pm.
Old 2009-08-21, 4:21am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
All, The title of the book I mentioned is Contemporary Glass Beads by 30 Japanese Artists. I managed to get a copy on eBay but I don't know if there is one there now. There are some websites in Japan that sell it. I believe you can google it and find some sellers for it but I did have to wait for mine to come from Japan even through eBay. I felt it was worth it. I also get my Japanese DVDs which are always very helpful from Malcolm at Artcoinc.com. I've been meaning to check and see if he has gotten more. There is one called Flowers in Glass that is very good. It shows how to make the Lily murrini in detail and a few other things that are great too. I am facinated with the complex murrini in beads so I grab everything I can find.

I anyone needs help finding the book, let me know. I will try to help. You might be able to send Malcolm a PM or email and he might be able to get more than one copy of the book if a few of you want it. I just got lucky and found one on eBay.

I believe you can email the folks on this website: http://homepage3.nifty.com/tonbotama/ and perhaps get the book from them. The eye candy is very good on that site anyway.

I will help if I can though!
You can get that book, along with several others, at www.jplampwork.com. The tonbodama book and dvd are also good.

Old 2009-09-09, 6:18pm
Mr. Bubble -- OBS Member

I'd like to say thanks to Caudia too. Here's my first feather murrini using your tut. I used, opal yellow and green envy.
Attached Images

Old 2009-09-14, 1:09am
I need more boro stuff

I read Claudia's tut sometimes last year then I made the feather murrini, but I never really use it until this thread.

Here's my effort on test bead.

Old 2010-05-07, 3:42pm
JulieV

I just received some feather murrini as a gift. This is a wonderful thread! Thanks so much.

Old 2011-01-11, 9:54pm
Metallic Flame Studios

Omg, I can't believe I just NOW found this.... And I had always admired glasting's feathers too!!

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2011-02-05, 3:25pm
grama punky - class junky

Default HI

Hi De, would you please share your typed verison of the feather tut. Thank you so much, donna
Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
Here it is:

http://perles-au-chalumeau.forumacti...nar--t1164.htm

I have talked to Claudia and received her OK on my (personal use only) typed version of her hand-written, step-by-step instructions from this tutorial. If you would like me to PM it to you, let me know.

De

Old 2011-02-11, 6:40am
Light My Torch

here is one from me thank you for the tut enjoyed it!
Attached Images

Old 2012-08-27, 3:51pm

Default Feathers everywhere

I finally had a chance to make the feather murrini today!

Thank you Claudia and De for posting it.

I did the eagle feather and then two other pulls with brown.

I did one test bead with a few of them and I am tickled to pieces.

I used white burnt it and it still looks fantastic. Think I will intentionally do it again with the next batch. LOL I did not get a chance to test the brown tipped ones, but loving the black tipped. Can't wait to try it again with different colors.

De, you are right.. I was chasing that gather all over the place. I finally switched to a mandrel to build on, I barely controlled the first one I did. Mine are tiny but effective.

Thanks again.
Cherri
Old 2013-11-16, 4:38pm
Back to 👊 1

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb