Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Old 2008-06-24, 9:28am
Creatrixie

Red face Eyeball Tutorials?

Hi there...

I've been looking around the Tut's section and can't seem to find much on making eyes.

There are so many cool eyes that people create, from the layered dots with the raked base to the goofy cartoony eyes.

Anyone have a tutorial that they'd care to share?

I'm pretty new still and I need all the help that I can get to point me in the right direction!

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2008-06-24, 9:56am
Professional glob maker!

The goofy eyes are easy. Just make a white dot and melt it in. Then add a transparent dot of your color choice and melt it in. Then add your black pupil dot and your done! As for the complicated ones....I have no idea! lol I'm not that good!
Old 2008-06-24, 6:06pm
I speak Murrini!

Hi Mary~~~

Are you talking about "eye beads" like these?:

These are very basic, and are pretty self explanatory...I can give a basic run down, if you need it - although I suspect you might be looking for something more complex!

If it's a "critter eye" (something added to a character or animal) you are talking about, this might not fit the bill exactly - but there is a secret "tip" in there (full credit to Sharon Peters for her guidance on this!!!) in this little tut I posted a while back, which tells how to add eyes like this:

Here's the link to my Quick "Perfect" Critter Eye Tutorial:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...hlight=critter

Hope other's chime in here to help!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-06-24, 8:15pm
Creatrixie

Cool...thanks Jess! Thanks DeAnne(I think your little alien guys are the best! Watch out MiB).
I tried out some eyes in that style today on some critters.
We'll see how they come out when I take them off the mandrel and clean them.

I'm interested in knowing how to do the "fancy" eyes as well -- like the dragon eyes or owl eyes (using some kind of crazy glass I'm thinking).

I tried to do the raked (to make more of an "eye" shape) protective eye bead today. The first one worked out pretty nicely. The second one was less successfull.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-24, 8:22pm
I speak Murrini!

OK - Check this out!!! I think this was originally posted (as a link) by Pipyr who shared with us tutorial by Nudibranch Art Glass. I believe this is at least partially the technique she uses on her awesome "Secrets" series:

http://www.nudibranchartglass.com/page20.htm

Old 2008-06-24, 8:28pm
Creatrixie

Oh wow, DeAnne...
That is very cool. What a great effect!
(well, I'm going to have to keep working on my skillz before I dream of attempting that!)

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-24, 9:03pm

you can take slices and put a dot of clear on them if you have trouble with the whole eye. Building the cains is actully fun once you do it.
Here is a dragonfly with slices and clear dots and then a large dragon eyes built from marbles. These are boro.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-24, 9:11pm
Creatrixie

Those are really cool, Kare!
The dragon eyes are quite magical and I love the sprightly expression that you've managed to portray with your dragonfly.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-25, 3:06pm
Creatrixie

Red face Leaping into it!

Here's a pic of the "critters" that I made yesterday and a protective eye bead (I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out - the second one flopped though!) I think I need to get my critters eyes a little farther apart!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-26, 5:53am
Professional glob maker!

I love that last white bead with the blue eye!! And I agree with needing the mad skills to make those awesome eyes! I am, gonna try one and will HOPE that it looks like an eye and not just an interesting dot! lol
Old 2008-06-26, 9:25pm
Creatrixie

That's so true Jess,
I also found out today when I was torching... Make sure you're NOT hungry (as well as don't drink caffeine) my hands were a little shakey again today. I'll post some pics tomorrow...

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-26, 10:24pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Mary, that protective eye bead is wonderful!!! I will have to try that one myself. I have been wanting to give my yoga instructor something for all his hard work with me..But my hands shake a lot, plus I don't think I can do half as good as you did!!
pat
Old 2008-06-27, 12:08am
Whooooo, me?

Thank you, Mary, for starting this thread. I have been trying to get good eyes on some of my owls and still am not happy with what I am getting.

Kare, I actually did a simple IB pupil with yellow iris cane and saw your post about applying dot of clear before applying to bead...it was the "best" eyes so far but the only problem was the IB sort of lightly pulled up into the clear (like a shadow effect in reverse, if you will). Any ideas on how to get that NOT to happen?

Eyes are so the main thing with owls, and my own personal knowing what they look like for real and liking realism in things I make...is making me crazy with these! My being a newbie to lampwork surely makes it even worse that I can't get them looking like I WANT them!

Thanks for any ideas here!
Beth
Old 2008-06-27, 2:34am
Creatrixie

All I can say Pat is, when it's time to add the iris and then the tiny pupil...hold your breath! I also kind of tuck my elbows into my body to help steady my hands too if that makes any sense...

Good luck with your OWLS Beth...post pics!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-27, 6:55am
birdergirl ~o~

I would love to know how to do the dragon eyes with the evil slit of a pupil!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-06-27, 10:07am
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadia View Post
I would love to know how to do the dragon eyes with the evil slit of a pupil!
Check my link in Post #5 above!

Old 2008-06-27, 11:08am

I actually put the dot on top of the slice.
Play with what your outside color is when you build your rod for the eye. some colors seem to bleed more than others.
If you roll in black powder or obsidian it might hold definition better. Make sure your slice in not too hot/soft when you put your clear on, that will help also. hope this helps

Old 2008-06-27, 11:10am
birdergirl ~o~

DeAnne
Thanks I have bkmrk' it !!

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2008-06-27, 7:17pm
Whooooo, me?

Ok, here are a couple pics. As you can see the IB bled up into the clear. The cane slice (which was tiny) was just barely warm when I dotted it with clear. Going to work on it some more.

Beth
Old 2008-06-28, 4:58am
Creatrixie

Beth, your little owl is precious!

I really like the raking in his feathers...(haven't totally gotten the hang of raking yet). What glass did you use?
The claws are a special touch. Did you come up with that construction design yourself ('cos I'd like to try it out if you wouldn't mind...)
He's slightly "myopic" looking, but really cute! Keep up the good work!

Looks like you could do the eyes with a dot of opaque yellow, melt it in, then add a teeny dot of IB, then a lense on top of trans yellow or clear....

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-06-29, 8:04am

I'm not a big help with soft glass eyes. Since I mainly work boro I tend to fry soft glass . might try some other blacks to see if they hold better. In my fish I do the dot on top.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-29, 10:40am
Whooooo, me?

I have tried the dot of yellow, tiny dot of IB and then clear and it seems they end up loosing the yellow completely.

Yep, the toes and talons were something I came up with on my own. They are truly probably the second thing you notice when you are up close and personal with an owl, eyes first then talons. I am using just effetre colors and doing different twisties for different color effects with the owls I have done.

Going to try the black on top of clear next I think. Thanks, Kare.

Beth
Old 2008-07-03, 6:21am

Hi there Guys,

I'm amazed at those fantastic eyes you're producing. I hope you are considering sending off a bead for our exhibition here in Adelaide where we are raising funds to build an eye clinic in Bhutan. Contact me via woodart@woodart.com.au for further details.
Wetcanvas have offered to make it a major project to help get it up and running.
Cheers
woodart (aka Koala on WC)
Old 2008-07-03, 6:23am

forgot to add "South Australia" after Adelaide. Its way past my bedtime so I guess I can be excused for slipping up!
Cheers
woodart.
Old 2008-07-08, 1:14am
Creatrixie

I'll consider it, Woodart...
and Woo-hoo! I placed second in the "Artistry in Glass" contest!
http://artistryinglass.on.ca/newslet...stwinners.html They're my local supplier and they're great! I've already placed my order to spend my $50 online prize!

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-07-08, 5:07pm
Creatrixie

Post Strange...but I've made a Tut!

Okay, people seemed to like my Protective Eye Beads and asked if I could share how I did it, so I put together this tutorial:
(this does NOT mean that people should not keep on posting their pics and how they do their eyes!!! Keep it coming!)

and here's the link if you'd like it at the original "letter" size of 8.5" x 11" to print it out:
http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h2...e_Tut85x11.jpg
Just right-click and save it to your computer.

~Mary

COE 104
Old 2008-09-30, 3:39pm

Thanks for sharing this, Mary!
What a great eye chart!
PS
Old 2008-10-01, 4:21pm
Does it come in purple?

Beth, I know you posted a long time ago and may not see this, but what if you poke the pupil in after you've applied the eye cane to the owl head? I wonder if this would make the eye look less like the pupil is floating on top. Beautiful owl bead by the way

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-10-02, 8:35pm
Frustrated Artist

Default First Try at an Eye

Here is my attempt at an eye

Let me know what you think
Old 2008-10-03, 1:54pm
Creatrixie

"Looking" Great, BBB! LOL I really like the depth of your iris. Keep up the good work!

~Mary

COE 104