LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2014-06-27, 9:12am
lurking on LE since 2005

Default Czech Tourmaline Pink

I've had so many people contact me about the glass that I sell that somehow it is defective or for whatever reason they can't get the tourmaline to strike so I made a quick and dirty youtube video showing how to strike a hollow tourmaline pink bead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bru...ature=youtu.be

It's not a great work of cinematography, but I think the most important thing about it is how LONG it takes to get the bead to strike. It takes over 6 minutes to get the little darling to strike fully.

Like I keep telling people: It WILL strike, you just have to coax it. A lot.

The video starts after the hollow is a bead, but not tourmaline pink yet. It's about a 20mm hollow.

Here are some color stills of the progression:

This is where it starts. Very little color, but it looks like it wants to try to strike. I think a lot of people give up after this and assume it's the glass that's just not right.

Here, the outside, near the mandrel is striking, but still, not what anyone is looking for.

This is after about 5 minutes in the flame dance. See? it's tourmaline pink after all! Just keep waving it back and forth in the flame and the color WILL progress to what you expect.

tada!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2014-06-27, 12:03pm

Nice video. These took a while to strike. Thought about giving up but it seems this is the nature of the glass. Earrings are solid and the small one is over white.
Attached Images

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-06-27, 12:53pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Do you have any problems encasing over white?

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2014-06-27, 1:03pm

Not sure. Just made the one 2 days ago and for now it's still intact.

-> I'm Chuck, I like Glass Dots
mini cc - natural gas - oxycon - 104 coe
Old 2014-06-27, 1:46pm
lurking on LE since 2005

Lol. I've had some that were fine forever, and some sneaky ones that cracked a week later.

J-55

Old 2014-07-01, 3:04pm
Uh-oh means it's too late

Where do you sell your Czech glass? I have been looking for a seller in the states. Do you have a website?

Old 2014-07-01, 6:36pm
lurking on LE since 2005

On my etsy site, click the link in my signature.

J-55

Last edited by Charmaine; 2014-07-06 at 6:48am. Reason: Sale over
Old 2014-07-10, 6:52pm

Just want to chime in here and say I have bought Charmaine's beautiful Czech glass rods and her service was great, good convos, fast ship.

Ha ha I sound like Ebay feedback! But she runs a nice shop.

--Helene