TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: Is your favorite tool specifically made for Lampwork or have "MacGyvered" one?
Store Purchased 219 67.18%
Handmade, baby! 95 29.14%
Tools? I don't use no stinkin' tools! 7 2.15%
I'm not telling you! 5 1.53%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-06-02, 8:00am
Fact. Bears eat beets.

Default Your favorite Lampwork tool.

Is your favorite tool specifically made for Lampwork or have "MacGyvered" one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-06-02, 8:06am
Shine your bright side!

My favorite tool is one that Lori Robbins hand made just for me. I covet it above all other tools.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2007-06-02, 8:14am
Looking for my waistline

I love my Mikey Shaper. I use it every time I torch. My other favorite? My target tongs. Store bought then McGyvered (bent) into just the right squishing position.
Old 2007-06-02, 9:33am
yukue fumei

the tools I reach for most often:
graphite marver
Will Menzie's torch mount marver
graphite pad and masher
fireproof cloth
1/16" tungsten poke
tweezers
shears
Corina Magic Wand
punties
and that $6 multi tool from Arrow Springs
oh, and presses

nagi

Old 2007-06-02, 9:51am

My favorite tool of all time is the Leonardo petal puller, the small one. Just got it and once I tried it I found it works for many things besides just pulling petals.
Old 2007-06-02, 12:02pm
Entropy increasing....

I have 3 butterknives that I got from Goodwill that have smooth edges. Came that way. I use the cheapest one which is really light weight and thin.

Is that store bought or handmade?
Old 2007-06-02, 12:03pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
It has actually become attached to my left hand.
That sounds hand made.
Old 2007-06-02, 4:54pm
birdergirl ~o~

My stainless steel chopstick is the tool I reach for most ( and when in a "panic" )

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-06-02, 4:54pm
Rose colored glasses…√

I use the corina magic wand, whimsicalities brass beveled edge thingee, and a dental pick that has a REALLY skinny fine hook on the end (I use it to grab my encasement layer and pull it over the edge of the bead). My other fave is rod of glass that I've pulled a stringer from; I maneuver glass better with that than anything else.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-06-02, 5:38pm
Fact. Bears eat beets.

Very creative and inventive! Lots of different tools.

Stainless Steel chopsticks? I'm going to have look into that.

The one I reach for first is ceramic tile, and my large serving spoon for shaping.

Old 2007-06-02, 6:01pm

I like my first press, the Corina Lentil and use it the most.
I also really like my punties by Cheryl Matson. I use them all the time as well.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-06-02, 7:01pm
CA Queen Bitch

kitchen table knife here.

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-06-02, 7:07pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
I use the corina magic wand, whimsicalities brass beveled edge thingee, and a dental pick that has a REALLY skinny fine hook on the end (I use it to grab my encasement layer and pull it over the edge of the bead). My other fave is rod of glass that I've pulled a stringer from; I maneuver glass better with that than anything else.

Agreed! I love the nub of a stringer on the end of a rod!
I also reach for a plain mandrel when I wanna pull a stringer or a twistie.
I use those dental like tools with spatula ype ends... mostly the long flat ones to push glass around when encasing or make lines.

Old 2007-06-02, 7:57pm
On A Lampwork Hiatus

My favorite is my Pier One Imports butter knife from my own silverware collection.. Still has the serated end on it and all.. I also use my stainless steel chopsticks a lot for twisties.. That and my needle nose pliers for pulling stringer..
Old 2007-06-02, 10:38pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have one of those cheap knives that they sell in bait stores at the beach. I LOVE that thing!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-06-03, 3:49am

I like my brass stump shaper. Great for moving glass around, great for petals in flowers....and the handle doesn't get hot!
That and some cheap kind of pokie things with a screwdriver rubber end that I got at Walmart!
Irene

Old 2007-06-03, 6:53am

comfort grip graphite hand marver, razor knife with large blade, a dental tool, tungsten pick, graphite reamer, tongs with kevlar tips, mashers, tweezer, clay tool for smiles.

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2007-06-03, 6:53am
Bravewarrior stumblinbatt

Default I selected 'handmade' -

(*sniff* -"MacGyvered" should have been a poll option) mainly 'cos it's not a lampworking tool! The tool I most reach for is an old brass letter opener - slightly curved blade & with a bevelled edge - it's just brilliant for almost everything. Second favourite tool is a brass door striker plate, finer than the letter opener & dead flat - great for tucking in ends or straightening the sides of disks ... well until I can get some mashers of some sort it does the job.

Deb
Old 2007-06-03, 11:42am
Megra Farbot

I agree, Deb, "MacGyvered" should definitely been a choice!

My fav is a graphite stump shaper that I got when I first started. It now has a deep indentation, kind of like Andrea's shaper (Guarino Groovy Tool), just from so many years of use. If I didn't have this I would definitely buy one of Andrea's.
Old 2007-06-03, 12:20pm
Dangerous Woman

I don't know it this counts as a tool or not but my favorite thing is my arem rest. The husband of a lady I took a class with made it and I don't know what I'd do without it.

May your torch burn brightly and your oxy never run out. - Karen Hardy

On a Cheetah with a hurricane Still have my Lynx as a back up.
Old 2007-06-03, 1:58pm
Semi Retired

I also am a big fan of stainless chopsticks for pulling stringers. I have several pairs by the torch. The other two are the Smircich graphite marver and Val Cox Marver.

|

|

|

|

Last edited by dichromary; 2007-06-03 at 9:52pm.
Old 2007-06-03, 2:36pm
birdergirl ~o~

I'd love to see a picture of the homemade armrests!
Stainless chopsticks were from Heritage Glass $3.95 a pair for flat ( I use the flat) $5.95 for round.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2007-06-03, 10:26pm

I absolutely love my Japanese cement trowel. I bought it from Michael Barley a couple years back. It works great as a handheld marver that you can use at eye level (or in any position for that matter). It's also easy to cool on a wet towel for raku reactions, etc.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams
Old 2007-06-04, 7:58am

I used to use a craft blade for fine poking and pulling but got tired of the black marks from using steel. So I bought some sheet brass at the craft store, probably 22 gauge, and cut out a shape that fits into the x-acto handle. Since it can be cut with scissors, I was able to customize the tip
The brass grabs nicely when I use the flat side, but it doesn't leave crud on colors like rubino like steel does.

[/size]
Old 2007-06-04, 8:02am
Scientific Glass Girl

the cattwalk standard crunch. and my big graphite paddle from wale with a wicked long handle. and tweezers. nothin' fancy.

Old 2007-06-04, 1:51pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I LOVE all my tools I got from Jeff (Inspiration Toolworks).
I use his disk mashers all the time - and I love the star molds, which
I use to make flower stringers.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-05, 2:39pm

Needlenose pliers for pulling stringer, razor with handle for petals, nugget press, large spoon for holding frit.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2007-06-07, 7:59am
Glass my new Obsession

One of my favorite tools is an embossing tool made for scrapbooking.It is a stick with a different sized metal ball on each end.I use mine to indent the centers of glass flowers
Tina

Old 2007-06-07, 1:24pm

Default This one

Rocio's Bladed Shaping tool.
I use this for all my sculpture work for Boro.... but really Rocio has it for bead artist. Ron Jr.
Old 2007-06-07, 1:48pm

Here's my list of what I use every time:

cuticle pusher
Whimzicalities brass tools
graphite paddle
pliers - pointed for pulling stringers and applying silver, flat (no grooves) for sheep ears, and flat (grooved) for holding leftover bits of rods to start beads
spare 3/32" mandrels for pulling twisties
tweezers
tungsten pick

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon