LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-16, 2:03pm

I noticed the original poster hasn't replied again after her initial response. Either she got the message or is waiting to post another attack on someone else for knowing something she doesn't.

I'm safe since I don't know nuthin'!

BTW, Kevan, you'll never know how oddly comforting it is to know that the secrets of Terra continue to elude you. Almost makes me think there's hope that my beads will someday be as jaw-dropping as yours!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angela Kane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2007-06-16, 2:05pm
doyenne of the homebodies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
...Still, this terra glass is making me nuts. I made a goddess and she looked pretty good going in the kiln but now she looks like...poop.
Is she Terra through and through? If so, trying layering Terra over something else, like opal yellow.

And like Amy said, a too-hot kiln will mess you up with this glass.

Andrea
Old 2007-06-16, 2:08pm

I've got to go look for some of the beads that keep coming up. Till then I have to ask is this is about getting cat barf looking results? Or just not getting stunning work that another artist is?

As an example, the Raku beads I've done look about the color of an sick animal's eyes, glowing gross stuff. I've appreciated the tips here and hope to someday have success. But I don't have any one else's work I want to match. I found the total barf looking results very discouraging. I am hopeful for the tips. That is how I'd be with other glass.
Old 2007-06-16, 2:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by framerak View Post
I noticed the original poster hasn't replied again after her initial response. Either she got the message or is waiting to post another attack on someone else for knowing something she doesn't.
She hasn't even been back to LE since 9:24 this morning, so she's only seen the first few posts. !
Old 2007-06-16, 2:25pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
She hasn't even been back to LE since 9:24 this morning, so she's only seen the first few posts. !
Unless of course she has another LE user name...

Old 2007-06-16, 2:55pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKDesigns View Post
Unless of course she has another LE user name...
No, she doesn't

Old 2007-06-16, 2:58pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn T View Post
No, she doesn't
Oh, to be a member of the "Mod Squad" must be sooooo cool!!

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-06-16, 2:58pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
No, she doesn't
Anyone can have another user name without you knowing....proxy server and second email address...easy.

Old 2007-06-16, 3:00pm
Rose colored glasses…√

Quote:
Anyone can have another user name without you knowing....proxy server and second email address...easy.
My hubby needs to do that!! That way he could argue with himself and actually "win" an argument...

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2007-06-16, 3:29pm
The Andrea Half

Ah, sockpuppets. Gotta love 'em. Whether they are the person by another login / server or just loyal minons, sockpuppet tweaking can be fun ... ultimately very sad.

/sarcasm (sarcasm off!)

Old 2007-06-16, 3:48pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
True Dat

Old 2007-06-16, 3:54pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincot View Post
Ah, sockpuppets. Gotta love 'em. Whether they are the person by another login / server or just loyal minons, sockpuppet tweaking can be fun ... ultimately very sad.

/sarcasm (sarcasm off!)
I seem to be in the same mood this month with the on and off sarcasm.

or soon I am just going to change my title under my name to "B**** of the Month"

Old 2007-06-16, 4:33pm

wow. I think a midol party is in order here. Maybe it's ME but I sure didn't read the original post as an attack on you-know-who. jesus. You all are in a mood.

Old 2007-06-16, 4:34pm
Administrator

Quote:
I seem to be in the same mood this month with the on and off sarcasm.

or soon I am just going to change my title under my name to "B**** of the Month"
Just of the month? hmmm

Old 2007-06-16, 4:37pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
wow. I think a midol party is in order here. Maybe it's ME but I sure didn't read the original post as an attack on you-know-who. jesus. You all are in a mood.
Maybe you missed the original title of thsi thread?

Old 2007-06-16, 5:33pm

Quote:
or the fact that the OP posted the same thing in the bathroom yesterday?

Guess she didn't like the responses there-which were much friendlier.

Gets irritating when someone keeps saying the same thing over and over, and doesn't seem to give a crud about listening to the responses.

I've got way cool handmade bags for sale in the Garage Sale area for a buck each!
Old 2007-06-16, 5:36pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorriDawn View Post
Just of the month? hmmm

Quote:
Maybe you missed the thread yesterday by the same poster and the one a few weeks ago on the same subject line. It's getting a little old here, and some people are a little tired of a certain bead maker who seems to be called out for no reason.
This is why the title of the thread was changed.

I already stated I was in a mood so I am fair game. Stating this on other posters in this thread for being fed up with this subject matter?

Old 2007-06-16, 5:53pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Probably. And she no doubt missed the thread from yesterday, and this snippy line, too:
Quote:
Would it be too much for Double Helix to acually tell those that fork over the big bucks to them to enlighten us about how to get the true colors out of the glass??
That sort of implies that the one person who was named as the only one knowing the secrets of this glass (again with that original title) is not paying for it.

*Everyone* who has this glass has had to "fork over the big bucks," including the very talented Kim N., who so generously wrote out and shared a very detailed tutorial on how she works this glass.

O.K., everyone paid for it except people lucky enough to receive some as gifts from other very sweet people. But, those sweet people still had to buy it.

And Double Helix did tell their buyers how to work it - the instructions came with the glass.

So, there ya' go.

As for questions:
I understand frustration. Really, I do. But, if your goal is to learn how to work the glass, there are far more constructive ways to ask for help (especially if you have already searched through the pages of posts containing very valuable information on working it and you just could not find the answer you were looking for).

Here is a suggested format:

Hi, I am having some trouble with this glass. I use a "Type X" torch run on tanked oxygen/single 5 LPM concentrator set to 4.5/whatever. The flame I run looks like this (descibe flame/candles). My kiln is set to 940 F. I do this and that (be specific) and these are the results I am having. Can anyone tell me what I could do differently to get such-and-such effect?

There is no need to name anyone else in your question or make fun of their sage advice. There is no need to blame the color company for your failure (unless they made a bad batch). There is a need to provide as much information as you can so people can help you troubleshoot. And, there is a need to be polite.

As for responses:
When someone posts questions (nicely), try linking to the answers if you know where they are. If it is easy enough to type something out, and you would like to help, then by all means do. Yes, some people are just lazy and don't bother to look for themselves. But, there are some people who may not know how to look for something or may get overwhelmed by numerous search results and just need a little more direction. Lots of times, thread titles don't offer much help as to the content.

We're all here to help. Hopefully, the people who are helped today will be the people helping out tomorrow.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2007-06-16 at 5:56pm.
Old 2007-06-16, 6:06pm
CA Queen Bitch

Well while we are complaining about K.N., I'd like to add that I hear she makes some fantastic Cajun dishes, and dammit I wanna know her secret recipes!! Why should her guests get all the good food and mine none? Why doesn't Suzy get any? I am entitled to know her recipe aren't I. After all I AM Suzy Lambert.

And while we are on the subject I'd like to ask why Shawn gets to be L.E's Bitch of the month? Aren't I entitled to be the Bitch of the month? Well aren't I? Well? I am trying out for the title.

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2007-06-16, 6:07pm

Darleen the only "mood" I've seen is BK's!!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-06-16, 10:33pm
Entropy increasing....

I find this topic inane..

Except for this quote of course.

Quote:
Originally posted by framerakBTW, Kevan, you'll never know how oddly comforting it is to know that the secrets of Terra continue to elude you. Almost makes me think there's hope that my beads will someday be as jaw-dropping as yours!
Thank you. After struggling with this freaking glass it's nice to hear that.

Andrea, she was raku over clear. She has some spots of color, but she looks pretty poopy.

Anyway, I find this topic ridiculous because they don't sell you watercolors with instructions on how to make a great watercolor painting.

They don't sell you bags of clay with instructions on how to throw pots.

Everything is not handed to you. Sometimes you just have to pay your dues in life.

I can't work this freaking glass and I don't consider it to be Jed's fault that I can't.
Old 2007-06-16, 10:49pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Two words

Mercury Retrograde

Old 2007-06-16, 10:52pm
Redbearmountain

Hello from Red Bear Mounain (Jacque) I am a new member as of a few minutes ago! I just ordered some of this glass! I will just play with things and see what happens! I am excited about this glass and hope it works for me! I have only been making beads for about three years! So wish me Luck! Jacque
Old 2007-06-16, 11:09pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbearmountain View Post
Hello from Red Bear Mounain (Jacque) I am a new member as of a few minutes ago! I just ordered some of this glass! I will just play with things and see what happens! I am excited about this glass and hope it works for me! I have only been making beads for about three years! So wish me Luck! Jacque
I hope it works for you too. It's capable of doing beautiful things.

Good luck!
Old 2007-06-17, 6:30am

Welcome to LE Jacque!
Be sure check out this thread on Terra. Lots of amazing work!
Old 2007-06-17, 7:20am

Amber, LOL. good one.

Hey guys. Yes I missed the original title. If you are bored with her posts then IGNORE THEM.

Nothing deflates like being roundly ignored. Had NO ONE posted a reply I think she would have gotten the hint.

I just don't see the need to bash.

oh good grief. Now I sound like my DH ... can't we all just get along?!

Old 2007-06-17, 7:56am

Quote:
Amber, LOL. good one.

Hey guys. Yes I missed the original title. If you are bored with her posts then IGNORE THEM.

Nothing deflates like being roundly ignored. Had NO ONE posted a reply I think she would have gotten the hint.

I just don't see the need to bash.

oh good grief. Now I sound like my DH ... can't we all just get along?!
If it was just a matter of being bored with her posts, then I agree that ignoring them is best. I ignored her the first time and it flushed, fine. Then she came back and was unfairly bashing KN again, and this time in the family room where it would stick around. I think something needed to be said.
Old 2007-06-17, 8:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi_B View Post
If it was just a matter of being bored with her posts, then I agree that ignoring them is best. I ignored her the first time and it flushed, fine. Then she came back and was unfairly bashing KN again, and this time in the family room where it would stick around. I think something needed to be said.
So please explain to me, because I just don't see it, how this:

Quote:
really do not understand the big secretness on Terra glass. I know K.N. insists that we work and work till we discover the Big Secret of Terra. I love, love, love that stuff when it does what it is designed to do, and here in lies the problem. I've worked that stuff in just about every conceivable way but can not get any of the pinks and greens out of it. Would it be too much for Double Helix to acually tell those that fork over the big bucks to them to enlighten us about how to get the true colors out of the glass?? I certainly am missing a big part of how to work that glass. BK
is "bashing" Kim?

Frankly I think you all are reading WAAAAAAY too much into that one little sentence.

Old 2007-06-17, 9:19am

Again, you missed the original title, which is what really upset some of us. We may be reading too much into one little sentence, but this is not the first time and I for one am just tired of it.

Last edited by Judi_B; 2007-06-17 at 9:23am.
Old 2007-06-17, 9:21am
Catalina Glass

Default beads gone bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
One of the things this thread makes me think of is the number of times people will post something like "I know there's a huge thread on working with Raku but I don't want to wade through all 700 posts. Can somebody just compile all the tips and email them to me?"

The information is THERE, and readily available... they just don't feel like doing ALL THAT AWFUL HARD WORK of reading the posts and experimenting on the torch! It blows my mind. There are over 800 posts in the Terra thread... 800!!! Not all of them are tips but I've skimmed that thread and there is a SHIT TON of information on working the glass, along with a raft of gorgeous pictures. If DH put detailed, elaborate, step-by-step instructions on their website, you know what? These same people would be bitching because they followed the instructions to a T and their beads still don't look as good as Kim Neely's.

The instructions are right there; DH posted them on their ordering page, Kim has posted detailed instructions on her website, there's an instruction sheet that comes with the glass (ALL of my DH colors did... and I wonder if the folks who didn't get one accidentally threw it out with the mailing tube) and dozens of other people have posted their detailed instructions and tips on LE.

Nobody OWES us the automatic skill of making gorgeous beads. It takes work. A lot of hard work, experimentation, and wasting glass by making UGLY BEADS. My yard is full of ugly beads. My kids have piles of them. I have a quart of fucked-up beads ready to throw on the beach this summer. I probably toss $200-$300 worth of glass a year in failed experiments. Even regular ol' non-funky glass gets screwed up when you mess with it enough!

I just think people need to do the work.
I love your idea of casting beads upon the shore!! My yard is already full and I have a beach nearby!

Sharon -using a minor, propane and oxycon
[