Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Calls for Entries, etc.

Calls for Entries, etc. -- Calls for Entries, Contests, Exhibits, etc.

Old 2006-03-05, 8:50pm
AKA Vanna

Default Call for Artist

Call for Artists

Lori Robbins and Kimberly Scott are in the beginning stages of a series of books. The first being... " A guide to hot glass colors and techniques. The study of Purples and Pinks ". This is the latest addition to the Lori Robbins' library of Hot Glass reference books. In this book Lori and Kimberly will focus there attention on the use of Purples and Pinks in all glass COEs. A portion of the book will be dedicated to debunking the myths, providing tips and giving important working information for the use of Purples and Pinks. The rest of the book is focused on YOU!

Lori and Kimberly are pleased to offer an opportunity to get your work in Purples and Pinks published!! What a great opportunity to show case your work and to share your glass knowledge with other artist. If accepted into the book, your very own Tutorial of your work will be spotlighted in full color!

Applying will take place in stages:

*Email Kim@HeavenlyFire.com a .jpg of your work in Purples and/or Pinks

*Send only unedited photographs

*Send no more than two at first

*The deadline for wave 1 is May 31st 2006

Lori and Kimberly will notify you if you are accepted into the book and give you further instructions. Unfortunately, we will not be able to accept everyone for an article as some may be repeated. If not chosen you will receive a mention with a link of your website or your email address in the final publication in appreciation for your effort.

A few things to keep in mind:

*ALL types of glass work are acceptable in ANY COE. This includes fusing, furnace work and perhaps something we haven't thought of, surprise us.

*The glass that you choose should be currently and normally available for sale.

*Techniques can range from beginner to advanced.

*Keep in mind, you are going to want to send the best examples of your work, this is a public project for the whole world to see.

*Your work will be used in Tutorial format, please do not share any techniques that you don't want published to the masses.

Please email Kim@HeavenlyFire.com or FlaLadyBird@Yahoo.com if you have any questions.

We look forward to see your fabulous work!
Lori Robbins - www.LoriRobbins.com
Kimberly Scott - www.HeavenlyFire.com

Kim's Klub
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Come on, you know you wanna!!

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)

Last edited by AVCKimberly; 2006-03-11 at 6:23pm.
Old 2006-03-06, 12:43am

Sounds really cool. Purple is my favorite. Can you give more information on photo formatting (IE size) you are looking for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-03-06, 7:48am
AKA Vanna

Thank for the question and interest Lara!

Right now there aren't any picture requirements, just try to send .jpg. Size doesn't matter either.

This first wave in the submission process is to narrow down to the final tutorials.

Kim's Klub

"Mama, I need one of those beads in Elvis Red, Mint and Bubblegum." My Daughter Austyn, age 6 (Future Glass Artist)
Old 2006-03-06, 7:53am
Student of DachZen

Working on something to send in, Kim. Thanks for the info and the opportunity to "try out!"

Old 2006-03-06, 8:20am
AKA Vanna

Thanks Teresa!! I look forward to getting them.

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-06, 8:21am
In search of her path....

Just sent 2 to yea! One pink one Purple!

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-06, 9:32am
Salt Marsh Studio, FL

I was going to add something very important to this thread but I got distracted by a purple sumo-hippo butt dancing in my face.
OMG so funny!
Oh I remember. Is anyone playing with Kuglar colors? Just asking because I picked on a rod last night that is so much more intense and more behaves than Rubino. If you force me I will find out the number.
Old 2006-03-06, 9:41am
Detail G-Mama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Robbins
Just asking because I picked on a rod last night
Shame on you Lori!!! Picking on those poor wittle rods!!

Old 2006-03-06, 9:44am
AKA Vanna

The submissions are pouring in!!! I wanted to add that Lori and I will be making the final decisions the first week in June.

Kim's Klub

Last edited by AVCKimberly; 2006-03-06 at 12:43pm.
Old 2006-03-06, 10:45am
Smeller of Roses

Oh Wow!! Kim and Lori - I'm so excited! Ya know, I've always envied the artists who can list the magazines and books (or even tv shows, in some cases) they've been featured in. Never having been published myself, I wonder how it feels. Is it a validation? Do you finally feel you've "arrived" as an artist once you see your work and your name in print?

I can't wait to send in my submission! Crossing fingers and toes - I wanna be published!!!

Old 2006-03-06, 11:25am

I'm confused. Is the deadline the first week of April or May 31st? Thanks!

Evolution is only a theory, just like, um, gravity.

SAVE THE CHEERLEADER, SAVE THE WORLD!
Old 2006-03-06, 12:05pm
AKA Vanna

Hello Kimberly,

The deadline is May 31st. The finalist will be announced the first week in June.

Kim's Klub

Last edited by AVCKimberly; 2006-03-06 at 12:43pm.
Old 2006-03-06, 12:06pm
AKA Vanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena
Oh Wow!! Kim and Lori - I'm so excited! Ya know, I've always envied the artists who can list the magazines and books (or even tv shows, in some cases) they've been featured in. Never having been published myself, I wonder how it feels. Is it a validation? Do you finally feel you've "arrived" as an artist once you see your work and your name in print?

I can't wait to send in my submission! Crossing fingers and toes - I wanna be published!!!
ROFL!!!! I want to be published too!

I hope that I make it into the book. Lori is a killer! hehe

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-06, 12:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVCKimberly
Hello Kimberly,

The deadline is May 31st. The finalist will be announced the first week in April.
I may be a bit dense but I don't understand how you can announce finalists before the deadline??? Could you please clarify?

Kari
Old 2006-03-06, 12:45pm
AKA Vanna

Oops - thank you Kimberly and Kari for pointing out my goof! What I meant to say, is that finalists will be announced the first week in June!!

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-06, 2:46pm
Surrounded by Trouble

I am So excited for Kim and Lori, and it's looks like it will be a wonderful book. What a beautiful thing to see will be a book full of just pink and purple beads! As far as colors go it seems people have the most questions about Pinks and Purples.

Off to the torch to see what I can come up with. What fun!

Old 2006-03-06, 3:28pm
Surrounded by Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandice
Ooooooooooohhhhhhhh Just my thing!!! I'm there.
Your the first person I thought of when I saw this.
The "Pink Queen" humm...... nope..... nope....... "Pink Goddess" Sounds much better.

Old 2006-03-06, 5:02pm

Man, it is so hard just picking 2 photos to send in. I have at least three if not more. AUGHHHH

Old 2006-03-06, 5:06pm
Satake Woman!

Oh crud, I missed the 2 part and sent in 3. Doh!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-03-06, 5:12pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jena

Ditto!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2006-03-06, 5:24pm
Certified Yoga Teacher

What?! There's another color besides pink?

Liz

Old 2006-03-06, 6:28pm
AKA Vanna

I am so glad you guys are excited!!! The submissions are pouring in. All I can stay is WOW, WOW, WOW!!!!

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-06, 6:36pm

Question: With the pictures we send in now, if we are accepted, will you be using that picture or will we be able to make another bead and send in a better picture? Some of my coolest purple beads are beads I sold 1-2 years ago and the pictures aren't that great.

Old 2006-03-06, 7:01pm
AKA Vanna

Good question Lara! Yes, if you are accepted, you can create your tutorial from any bead that you choose. It doesn't have to be the bead that you submitted for the first wave.

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-07, 7:31am
Smeller of Roses

*bump*

Just making sure everybody sees this!!

Old 2006-03-07, 11:01am
Goddess

This sounds great! I am wondering if the beads have to be just pink and purple, or can there be other colors as well?

Old 2006-03-07, 11:19am
AKA Vanna

Teresa, they just need to include purple and pink. Get me some pictures girl!

Kim's Klub

Old 2006-03-07, 11:36am
DSDWC

Question.
Seeing as this is a book and will be sold for a profit, will there be royalties for those whose tutorials are published? It seems to me that the hard work developing techniques, writing articles, and photographing processes should be rewarded. I am always a bit leery of giving anything away when others are profiting from it. Perhaps profits could be donated to a good charity?

Old 2006-03-07, 12:01pm
AKA Vanna

Hey Trey,

Thank you very much for your concerns, we totally understand.

We believe that the fact that we aren't charging a fee for entry into the book, otherwise known as a publishing, advertising or submission fee should be a consideration as well. We plan on keeping the industry standard of two free books for each person making it into the article/tutorial section. There are other things to be taken into consideration as well.

There is an enormous financial burden when undertaking a project of this magnitude: printing costs, hiring of professional photographers, etc... And truth be told, no matter how well planned a project may be - there is always some unforseen problems that drive the "out of pocket" costs up. We aren't asking, expecting or even wanting the artist community to help us shoulder the fiscal responsibility. It's our necks alone we are risking. Other than the perks already discussed, the international exposure garnered from being published is priceless.

As for your personal efforts, you are more than welcome to make a submission using the guidelines in the first post, if you so desire.

Kim's Klub

Last edited by AVCKimberly; 2006-03-07 at 12:20pm.
Old 2006-03-07, 12:36pm
Smeller of Roses

Hmmm...I'm gonna play devil's advocate here for a sec. You know there's no guarantee that they're going to sell every single copy they have printed (although I am extremely hopeful that they will!! ). Just because you publish a book doesn't make you a millionaire a la Steven King.

My personal opinion is - if they're willing to take the risk then I think they should be able to reap the reward. I also think that if you aren't comfortable sharing your secrets for free - then don't. No one will ever know if you chose not to enter or just weren't selected!

Last edited by Jena; 2006-03-08 at 8:10am.