Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-07-19, 1:18pm

Default Off Mandrel Scultping...Book/Video

Hi all, i was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is a book/video for step by step instructions on how to do off mandrel works. Doesn't matter the COE, any step by step would be informative.

I know many will suggest a class, but right now with my job that is not possible. I am on call 7 days a week and my beeper goes off frequently. When it does go off, I have to leave whatever I am doing immediately.

I did a search and lots of infor comes up, in bits and pieces, but I really would like a whole tut or something, with tips and techniques.

Anything like that out there?
Old 2009-07-19, 1:24pm
I fart diamonds

Checkout Youtube, Smartflix & Crystal Myths (Lewis Wilson) are 3 resources I can think of off the top of my head.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-19, 1:52pm

my dvds....

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-07-19, 2:23pm

The new 2-DVD set from Milon Townsend. A bit pricey at $75, but well worth it. I sell it.

Malcolm

(Oh, and Hagstrom's too )

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-07-19, 2:50pm

Hagstroms DVD are nice and I learn some new stuff from them, but they are more towards pendants and you asked for sculpting which I usually think of as figures.

These are the ones I have found most useful for figurtive sculpting:

Bill Rasmussen's series "Glass Sculpting" http://www.artcoinc.com/rasmussen.php

Lewis Wilson's Sculptural Glass Working series is also great. http://www.crystalmyths.com/videos/

Both Bill and Lewis's videos were made before color boro really became available so they are done in clear, but the techniques are basic building blocks.

Milon Townsends videos are outstanding and show how to work larger and how to get color effects.

http://www.artcoinc.com/townsend-dvd.php

http://cgi.ebay.com/Solid-Sculpture-...150230141485QQ

I have most of the above and have liked all of them.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-19, 2:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
The new 2-DVD set from Milon Townsend. A bit pricey at $75, but well worth it. I sell it.

Malcolm

(Oh, and Hagstrom's too )
Malcolm, I didn't see the new 2-DVD set on your site, that's why I posted the link to Milon's auction. I really loved that one and it makes you think about how to adapt tools to your work. Now if I can just convince myself that I really should take a drill to my kiln I know I will love the punty rod heating holes.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2009-07-19, 3:18pm

Ahh, just one of many new items I need to get up on my web site.

Maybe after the Gathering ...

Malcolm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
Malcolm, I didn't see the new 2-DVD set on your site, that's why I posted the link to Milon's auction. I really loved that one and it makes you think about how to adapt tools to your work. Now if I can just convince myself that I really should take a drill to my kiln I know I will love the punty rod heating holes.

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2009-07-19, 7:24pm

Smile

The art of beadmaking : demos volume 1,
sculptural and off mandrel beadmaking techniques /
by Brad Pearson

Includes lessons : Fish beads, Two part pendants, off-mandrel hearts, tribal mask beads

Lise

Glass beadmaking since 2006.

Old 2009-07-20, 8:08am

Ooo thanks ladies and gents!. Lots to look into. I was talking more in the sculpting figures and such, but I do like all off mandrel work. It realy appeals to me as I have done scultping with clay, wood and stone. I have done an off mandrel heart, it turned out okay, still need to work on the attaching to the little pre-made bead and making a proper loop that is not too small or does not adhere.

Now drilling the kiln for punty rod heating holes....yikes. I think I will just use the spy hole that is already in my kiln and stick the punty in there. I am soooo not good with a drill!

Off to investigate those links...THANKS