Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-05-29, 11:48am
Resident Luny

Default colored boro tubing

does colored boro tubing exist that is 1.) not Chinese and 2.) not the custom striped ones from Glass Alchemy? I see some by NS but it is too wide, unless someone wants to tell me how to pull an even tube to make it smaller myself....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.

Last edited by lunesse; 2009-05-29 at 11:51am.
Old 2009-05-29, 12:52pm
No Problem!

Only Northstar Amber-purple and Blue-moon that I know of right now. But I guess you found that already NS is working on other colors but it's all going to be about the same diameter, around 1" diameter and 4mm+ wall thickness.
To pull some down;
This is all easier said than done, and better to show than describe with a keyboard. But basically..
You can flare the end of a 10mm heavy wall tube to match a cut end of the NS color. Weld it on.
Flame cut about an 1 1/2" from the NS tube.
Punty onto this with a nice 8mm or larger rod of clear.
Evenly heat the whole thing, puff it out a little, heat some more till it's all nice and soft, wait a sec and pull to desired thickness. It needs to be realllly hot if you want a small
Or you can turn and heat while you pull instead of doing it all in one go.
Takes practice but it's really the only way to make small diameter colored tube.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-05-29, 1:16pm
product of the universe

I can make our tubing in a smaller diameter if you need. 10-15mm diameter

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-05-29, 3:34pm

you can make your own by starting with the tubing size you want then coating the tubing with color rod..melt in the color rod then clear coat the tubing..thats what most of us do anyways. Plus Chris makes nice ones too

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-05-29, 4:27pm
No Problem!

True that too Not sure why I didn't think to mention that..I do that more than anything else.
only way my arse..doh!
You can coat the inside of a clear tube with frit and pull it down too, it has a different look but you do end up with colored tube.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-05-29, 5:07pm
Resident Luny

Hmmmm. Interesting. This is probably a newbie question but...will the thick walls stay thick, or thin out?

Chris, I will look at what you do. =)

Old 2009-05-29, 8:18pm
No Problem!

It depends
If you heat the glass evenly and don't add little to no air (by blowing) then you can keep a thicker wall. Pull faster and add more air and it can get real thin real fast.
The real key is building up a really even heat base before you pull at all.
Keep in mind that it's generally easier to thin thick tubing, than it is to thicken thin tubing.
eg. if you are pulling a section of tubing down into a smaller diameter, and plan to re-work the smaller diameter tube, it'll be a little easier if you keep it a few mm thick.

Don't be scared to waste some glass, sometimes it's just the price of progress.

(Beau & Shani)

Old 2009-05-30, 2:30pm

I also thought to ask you this..what are you trying to make with the tubing? That would help me think of some good sizes for you as well...tell me and I will help you

Old 2009-05-30, 5:32pm

I know when I was a hot glass color they had several different colors of tubing I don't know who makes it but you might check there. My friend bought some pretty pink

Old 2009-05-31, 7:19am
ManBearPig

What's wrong with the Chinese tubing? I use it all the time with no issues.

Old 2009-05-31, 7:36am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Too much MSG....

Old 2009-05-31, 8:11am

msg=makes stuff good........
Old 2009-05-31, 1:36pm
Bust It Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagstromartglass View Post
Too much MSG....
LOL!!!

Old 2009-06-02, 6:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
same here, although I got a friend who will swear it's horrible stuff and breaks all the time due to incompatability. I've coated it, encalmoed it, powdered and fritted all over it, cased it, graaled it, blasted it ... I recon it's one of the best (and relatively cheapest) things since people discovered the secrets to making blue cheese ... I lament the fact that it's not more readily available here in Oz.

Running a
by Miema on LPG and oxy bottles and a GTT Mirage.

Last edited by wickedglass; 2009-06-02 at 6:48am.
Old 2009-06-12, 8:12pm
Resident Luny

I am striving to use as much USA glass as I can, that's why. With tubing it's hard to find anything American.
Part of my "schtick" is using local glass, being I live a stone's throw from Bullseye and Northstar. That's why. Nothing against the Chinese and their boro in itself. =)

Old 2009-06-13, 7:53am
ManBearPig

I believe Northstar and Glass Alchemy use clear that isn't made in the US as the base for their colors. Not sure about Momka, but I'd bet their glass is the same.

Old 2009-06-13, 8:22am
Borovangelist

Where's the ION stuff from?

|
|
Old 2009-06-13, 8:49am
product of the universe

Jafe makes the ion stuff. You can send em clear and they will ion coat it. http://www.jafedecorating.com/scripts/default.asp

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2009-06-15, 10:21am

This is Thomas weighing in with the facts on Glass Alchemy Boromax® glass.

I can’t speak on behalf of the other color manufacturers, but here at Glass Alchemy we use Kimble (now known as Gerresheimer) as our base cullet and it is produced in New Jersey. Glass Alchemy has always used American made clear in our products. We made this decision for a number of reasons: 1) Kimble produces a consistent high quality product 2) we want to support US based jobs in the glass industry 3) Kimble uses the latest in high efficient low emission technology to produce their products 4) the facility recycles 100% of the glass discarded during the production process so nothing is sent to the landfill.

Glass Alchemy has always worked with companies that have values similar to ours. As a company that has been dedicated to the American lampworking movement since our start, we would appreciate it if people would call us if they have questions on our business practices prior to posting unconfirmed information that could damage our reputation or cause confusion in the marketplace. We have a lot of information available on our website and are adding more information on a regular basis. We are nice people and have nothing to hide.

Thanks – Thomas
Old 2009-06-15, 10:38am

GA it is them...by them way Jamboree is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 2009-06-15, 4:01pm

I will also chime in on this one. We at Northstar Glassworks use Kimble, Simax and Schott we use mostly Kimble for the same reason GA uses them but we also use Simax and Schott for many chemistry reasons, even though all clear that is made has the same chemicals used in them there are different properties that each clear glass has and we take advantage of it to make some of the best Borosilicate color made today. At one point we only used USA Schott but after they closed we had to use different clears to get the same results we have now. If there is a need for smaller size tubing let us know we can make that happen if there is a market for the products.
Abe
Old 2009-06-16, 12:16am

Does anyone know who's selling new kimble glass (Gerresheimer)??????by the case or tube.
Old 2009-06-16, 6:03am
ManBearPig

I stand corrected...

Old 2009-06-16, 11:07am
product of the universe

Quote:
Does anyone know who's selling new kimble glass (Gerresheimer)??????by the case or tube.
I believe this guy can help ya out. http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Kansas-Glass__W0QQ_armrsZ1 He goes by the name knexmaster on the gldg. If my memory serves me right he works at kimble.

Currently using fire.