Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-06-20, 6:51pm
Resident Luny

Default Northstar

I went there Friday to get a little stash of seconds to practice with, since I am new to boro. I called to see how buying seconds worked for a local person like me. Not only did they tell me how I could get seconds from them, even though they don't have a storefront, Nancy invited me to take a little tour and meet everyone and see how they make their rods. I didn't know they were handpulled vs. machine. Yeah, so that makes them not exact, but that is people working with jobs in this economy. I love the idea and I love every slight wobble in size now.

They have a great collection work done with their glass on a shelf when you walk in. Not only did they sell me my seconds, they gave me a small handful of 6 inch sample rods, so that I can explore more colors and then know what I would like to buy without having to get a whole pound to find out what something does. I also got to see that AWESOME skull chandelier from Vegas, WOW. WOW. WOW.

Anyway. Just stating, Northstar was way more than I expected and I was thrilled to meet them. It makes experimenting with boro even more fun, knowing the family behind the glass. I wanted to use their glass because it was local, but that was just the tip of the iceberg for me, now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2009-06-20, 9:49pm

Sounds like a great trip and one I wouldn't mind making myself! Love their glass and got to play with some new colors during Brent Graber's class at Aquila. If I were only rich...

Angela Kane

-One of a kind boro frit blends!
Old 2009-06-21, 3:18am

Northstar is a great company IMO. Thats pretty cool that they invited you in to see them in action. Buying seconds in person is def a great deal. At least you can pick things out instead of that great mystery when you open your package.
Old 2009-06-21, 4:21am

Awesome to hear. That's the way a company should behave, and it's great to hear a story now a days of one that still does. Sounds like a wonderful experience and WOOT on getting to see the chandelier...that had to be fun! Samma

Old 2009-06-21, 8:12am

I used to live in Portland before I move to Idaho..where Im at now. I loved going to Northstar when I was there. They are really nice people. The last time I was there they gave my friend and me some cool NS coffee mugs and lots of other little kick downs.

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-06-21, 9:40am

Last fall when I was visiting Portland I was able to visit North Star, too. They just asked that I call ahead to be sure someone was available. I got a personal tour by Abe and it was sooo interesting to see the cane made. I even got to see a new color come out of the kiln. got some samples, too.

They are a very caring company, too. Like a family. Makes me feel better about buying their products when you realize what goes into making it - and how few people make so much, they work hard.

Melody

Old 2009-06-22, 9:39am
boro color bender

I love working with NS... have loved that company for a very long time... my last visit was costly, but sooo worth it. I'm a glass ho and know it!

The hand pulled versus machine pulled is just one of the reasons i like them. NS does have a machine to pull glass, but giving people jobs in more important than efficiency. That says a lot about a company... they care.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-06-22, 10:08am

Thanks guys and gals for the points. We love what we do and we are a small family that works very hard. If you are in town ever and want to meet the people at NS and take a tour please feel free to call. We have nothing to hide, just dont look in that room over there.LOL Nancy and I made a dicission a few years back about machine pulling we decided to not go forward with our machines due to the fact that it takes peoples jobs and hurts our industry, all the NS people have worked here for over 4years and we even have some people that have worked here for 11 years. We pride ourselfs with hand pulled and we do a pretty good job at that I think. We even have a $25,000 machine puller that me and a friend built 3 years back that has lasars and all the bells and whistles but we only use it once and while because it replaces one person from there job.
We like the idea of machine pulling and we will do more in the future but not intell there is a more work for our guys.

Much love Abe
Old 2009-06-22, 10:09am

Thanks Brent we love you to.
Abe
Old 2009-06-22, 7:52pm

Hey Abe maybe on our way to glass stock or on our way back we will stop and see you. We have a convo of 8 girls going there

Old 2009-06-23, 9:31am

Lori we can talk about on the way back. Nancy and I will be there with a booth and look forward to meeting all of you. We are going to bring some wild goodies.
Soft and Boro
Abe
Old 2009-06-23, 9:34am
Borovangelist

soft from northstar?!? Hmmph, how 'bout that.

|
|
Old 2009-06-23, 10:03am

You're just used to seeing it listed as Precision.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-06-23, 10:33am
Borovangelist

really? Glad I never ordered any...boy that would have been messy

"why's it all cracking?!?!?!" LOL

|
|
Old 2009-06-23, 3:27pm

Thanks Jenn for setting it straight.
Much Love
Old 2009-06-24, 10:56pm
Resident Luny

=)

Brents, sounds like it went well for you there on Friday. I guess we both had a good day there, just me in the morning and you in the afternoon!

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.