Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-09-09, 12:35pm

Default Trouble with tube implosions after sabbatical

Hey guys! I spent my entire summer on the road traveling to (and attending) the penland school of crafts and the pilchuck glass school doing furnace glass (6,400 mile roadtrip holy hell). Anywho, i havent flamed for the past three months and ive been itching to get back to the torch -- however i seem something about tube implosions -- i can no longer get them to bloom, they only travel straight up through the glass instead of radiating outward leaving alot of empty room around the edge of the pendant. I dont understand what im doing wrong and how i seem to have forgotten something

my steps are as follows:
1- even bubble
2- design application to top 1/3 of bubble
3- heat and flatten design
4- heat edge of design and get glass to "pucker"
5- marver on graphite pad to flatten

repeat repeat repeat -- but at the end it always ends up with the design shoting straight to the top of the piece instead of moving outward

I hope this makes sense and someone can add a bit of advice!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

N.M. Knight Bullet on tanked oxygen
Old 2009-09-09, 3:33pm

no one?

Old 2009-09-09, 4:02pm

give ppl some time to reply...a lot of them have jobs and don't get online until later....
Old 2009-09-09, 4:44pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

While you are repeat repeat repeating the pattern should keep moving to the middle and get smaller. Thats kind of the point actually. If you want it to spread out you can use more force when you press down / implode it.

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-09-09, 4:46pm

apologize for being antsy!

Old 2009-09-09, 5:32pm
ManBearPig

No marver needed. Gravity and rotation do all of the implosion.

To get it to not be straight up and down do this....

Once you blow the bubble and get the dots on it, start melting it down by heating the largest part of the bubble.

Once it gets hot, tilt it so the open end of the tube is slightly up. That will pull all the dots to the center.

Old 2009-09-09, 5:57pm
Attack of the Snuggie!

I think he's wanting them to "bloom" out instead of pulling to middle and pulling straight out.. You might need to marver it to get that one

"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

...Stephen F Roberts
Old 2009-09-09, 9:06pm

So am I right you don't smash a tube implosion? Gravity does the imloding?

Old 2009-09-10, 5:57am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Honey View Post
I think he's wanting them to "bloom" out instead of pulling to middle and pulling straight out.. You might need to marver it to get that one
You don't need to marver it. Heating and rotating will pull the design to the center. I've made literally hundreds of them and never marvered any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bead crazy View Post
So am I right you don't smash a tube implosion? Gravity does the imloding?
Correct.

Old 2009-09-10, 6:03am
ManBearPig

Oh, and one more thing...

After reading the first post again, you may not be putting the design on enough of the bubble. I start my decoration at the largest point, so it's about halfway.

You can also start with a smaller implosion then add a clear lens to the front. That will magnify the the design and make it look like it fills up the whole piece. These pieces were done like that:

The implosion in each of those pieces is less than half the total volume of the marble, but when viewed from the front the magnification of the lens makes it look like it fills the entire marble. I make most of my pendants that way as well.

Old 2009-09-10, 7:18am

Gosh, those are just beautiful Cosmo!
Old 2009-09-10, 8:31am
ManBearPig

Thanks!

Old 2009-09-10, 11:18am
Marbles, dude, Marbles

Cosmo-those marbles are beautiful. I got your book and am working on learning how to do the tube implosion marble in it. Your comment that each implosion is less than half of the volume of the marble helps me. Could you post side and bottom pictures of the above marbles? Shannon Hill had a marble at his studio that was at least 2" to 2 1/2" and the 'flower' at the very bottom of it couldn't have been more that a half inch across, yet from the top it filled the whole marble! Is this what you mean?

Old 2009-09-10, 1:13pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmkcpa View Post
Cosmo-those marbles are beautiful. I got your book and am working on learning how to do the tube implosion marble in it. Your comment that each implosion is less than half of the volume of the marble helps me. Could you post side and bottom pictures of the above marbles? Shannon Hill had a marble at his studio that was at least 2" to 2 1/2" and the 'flower' at the very bottom of it couldn't have been more that a half inch across, yet from the top it filled the whole marble! Is this what you mean?
I'll try to get pics of them. Some I don't have any more.

Here's the front and back of one of them though. That may help you...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...STRK:MESELX:IT

From the side view of that marble, the implosion itself takes up about 1/4 of the marble.

Old 2009-09-11, 10:33pm

cosmo, your work is amazing. I immediately went to your site and order the book. if mine come out 1/10 as beautiful I will be thrilled.
Old 2009-09-12, 3:14am
boro color bender

You've got some really good explanations already... I've got a free video posted in the Tutorial section. Maybe watching it will help as well.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-09-12, 2:55pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
cosmo, your work is amazing. I immediately went to your site and order the book. if mine come out 1/10 as beautiful I will be thrilled.
Thanks. If you have any questions once you get it, just ask...

Old 2009-09-13, 7:03am

You need more dots before you heat the bubble.

Personally if i were trying to make a bloom type pattern like your talking about, I would use solid rod.
Old 2009-09-16, 9:56pm

Chris...the problem you are having is you are getting too good at imploding your designs.
Rest your bubble on the marver and your dots will spread out when they hit the cold glass. This same thing happens to me sometimes...but it is a good thing in a way...because you will learn how to control it to get precise effects.

Get Your New Hagstrom Art Glass Videos on my website and Etsy now!!!
Old 2009-10-31, 7:17am

you can only get that kind of "bloom" out of a tube. ive tried and tried on rods but only get long drawn out implosions. cosmos got it down, i never use a marver, i may smush it a little bit, but its all in hot hot the bead is when you flatten it a bit. and you can do them fairly quick once youve done a few.