Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-01-10, 1:54pm
Renee Weaver

Rose your beads are breathtaking.
I'm working on hearts lately, Valentines Day is coming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-10, 2:11pm
Somethings grow wild

Location: Soulsbyville in California, just down the hill from Yosemite

Nice cold work Cosmo!
I really like your pendants Ash!
Kare

Old 2008-01-10, 2:13pm
Renee Weaver

Here's another picture of some jewelry I've been working on. This one is my favorite.

Old 2008-01-10, 2:56pm
Flame Dame

I have some new sets. Brenda (NBN) has been holding my hand as I experiment with frits. I don't use them much in my soft glass beads, but she's opened my eyes!

Leah
Attached Images

Etsy ID: leahbeads
Old 2008-01-10, 2:58pm
Serenity Now!

Gorgeous work everyone!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2008-01-10, 3:14pm
Bliss Junkie

i feel so intimidated posting here, but.. i might as well...
trying to restock my turtle collection that all my friends bought up...

Karma, it's everywhere your going to be...

GTT Cricket and Carlisle CC w/ a lot of tanked oxygen
Old 2008-01-10, 8:09pm

Leah, your beads are beautiful. I'm just learning about boro frit, also. It's magical! Nothing like soft glass. It can really react and do neat things.

Renee, those PCS beads with the silver and copper are to die for. Oh, I hope they make more PCS! For you necklace, did you make the focal? It's gorgeous and ties together so well. I love it!

Shawn, no need to feel intimidated. You should see the beads I posted a few weeks ago. You would shudder. Your turtles have some great color going on there!

Old 2008-01-11, 6:26am

Nice work everyone.

Leah - the beads are beautiful and your photography really enhances them. Nice job with the photo.
Renee - your capped beads are outstanding and the necklace very special. Also love your new avatar - we get to see you cutie pie!!....

Judy

Lynx & Hurricane
Old 2008-01-11, 6:37am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlbacher View Post
i feel so intimidated posting here, but.. i might as well...
trying to restock my turtle collection that all my friends bought up...

I really like the honeycomb one. I don't know why I've never thought of combining a honeycomb and a turtle before...

Old 2008-01-11, 8:00am

The turtles are so cute...all swimming one way... Here are a couple of boro pendants from me. I used the new Blizzard color on the blue one. Sandy

Old 2008-01-11, 8:37am

I haven't shared for FOREVER but these are some I have made over the last few weeks. The last 2 are made from cane (which I rarely know what I used) but the first one is ap with blue moon frit and clear. The last one was black pearl ends with a cane of triple passion, ap and cherrywood strike encased in warm yellow swirled around, flame struck lightly

Last edited by meadowesky; 2008-01-11 at 8:39am.
Old 2008-01-11, 10:56am
Renee Weaver

Hi Judy! Thanks for your kind words, I've been capping lots of beads lately, it takes me ALOT of time because I'm pretty new at it.
Earl..Wonderful turtles, they make me want to try those too.
Rose..Thanks! I bought the focal from an artist that has been making them for 20 years. His stuff goes so well with boro I bought WAY too much.
Brandie... the colors that you get blows me away, I'd like to watch you at work one day.

Thank you boro people for always taking the time to comment and encourage!

Old 2008-01-11, 1:12pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Renee, you are just too cute! Love your new avatar

Old 2008-01-12, 4:40pm
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginkgoglass View Post
Chad, let me pick your brain for a minute --
What do you set your kiln at? Is it 1050 for the length of time you are working and then down to 950? Do you ever go higher for certain colors? What about reds --- I noticed in another thread you said put them in the kiln unstruck, so would they strike at 1050?

Thank you!
Sorry, I must have missed this before...

I leave my kiln at 1050 for the duration of however long I'm working. If I'm working colors that I want to kiln strike, I ramp it up to 1200 for 15 minutes before ramping down.

Old 2008-01-12, 5:53pm

I haven't checked things out here in quite awhile...everything is just beautiful. I love the colors everyone is achieving!!! I'm just a wanna-be still...*sigh*...

Tried a couple of different purples in this one, plum crazy and Purple Thunder

This one's made with the same purples.

Here's a DAP vessel.

Old 2008-01-12, 6:44pm
No Problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Sorry, I must have missed this before...

I leave my kiln at 1050 for the duration of however long I'm working. If I'm working colors that I want to kiln strike, I ramp it up to 1200 for 15 minutes before ramping down.
Since the strain point of boro is 950F you really don't need to "garage" your beads that high..you can keep your workspace cooler and possibly even save some energy by garaging lower. Anywhere above 1000F is generally considered to be safe for garaging boro.
FWIW I garage at 1010F and don't have any cracking problems even with my thickest inside-out work.
The other thing is that 1050F can start to strike out reds/rubies and if left for too long at that temp they can start to develop rusty brown hues. Basically defined as over-striking..This can depend on what red shade and manufacturer you are using as well as whether or not the piece is flame-struck at all before putting it into the kiln.

This is a good resource (a bit technical but worth checking out)..
http://www.northstarglass.com/UsersManual.pdf
Peanut gallery signing out

(Beau & Shani)

Last edited by evolvingBeau; 2008-01-12 at 6:46pm. Reason: Forgot to post a link..
Old 2008-01-12, 8:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvingBeau View Post
Since the strain point of boro is 950F you really don't need to "garage" your beads that high..you can keep your workspace cooler and possibly even save some energy by garaging lower. Anywhere above 1000F is generally considered to be safe for garaging boro.
FWIW I garage at 1010F and don't have any cracking problems even with my thickest inside-out work.
The other thing is that 1050F can start to strike out reds/rubies and if left for too long at that temp they can start to develop rusty brown hues. Basically defined as over-striking..This can depend on what red shade and manufacturer you are using as well as whether or not the piece is flame-struck at all before putting it into the kiln.

This is a good resource (a bit technical but worth checking out)..
http://www.northstarglass.com/UsersManual.pdf
Peanut gallery signing out
I garage at 1050 but only because 1050 is the temperature where the pyrometer is located...in the center of the kiln. The floor of my kiln is actually 1025-1030, and I have found that a lot of my reds start to strike out at this temp, but fairly slowly. I took Chad's advice and made a shelf out of kiln brick so I can garage some items at 1050 in cases where I want a long slow strike. I have found that helpful with some fumed pieces and also when using some of the new GA glasstique colors: singular passion, and purple cream soda.

I was garaging at 980-1000 degrees at one point, but I think you could have issues if you open and close your kiln a lot with the temperature dropping below the strain point. So, I err on the side of caution.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Last edited by e. mort; 2008-01-12 at 8:52pm.
Old 2008-01-14, 5:32am

I have been trying out pulling some points for make tube implosions.

old moss with dragons eye, gold fumed cobalt with obtanium, silver fumed cobalt with obtanium.
Attached Images

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-01-14, 7:53am
Dead man walking

Love the third one Eric, it has a great 3D effect with the fume. Very nice!
Old 2008-01-14, 9:59am

Eric, those are great! Do I understand correctly - you applied dots on the inside of the tube? They're really beautiful!

Here's an implosion using DAP...

Old 2008-01-14, 10:14am

Thanks!

Hi Heidi. For the implosion, you pull a point, blow it into a bubble, decorate the bubble, condense it down, then remove it from the blow tube. The inside of the blow tube actually becomes your lens.

Old 2008-01-14, 10:35am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Weaver View Post
Renee! Those are really lovely!

Old 2008-01-14, 3:04pm

First one is amber purple encased with a clear light blue rod that I got free with a big purchase from a vendor.... I think it was generations glass. I have no idea what color it is and it doesn't seem to react but maybe give a slight irridescent look to it. I use it on various pieces to see if it does something but it really just seems like clear. I put some disco sparkle in a few spots and it looks like it might have burned... any suggestions on this color? Should I just encase the whole rod of disco sparkle with clear? The bottom pic is stormy weather and I think I spotted it with clear. I love that color!
Erin
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-14, 3:06pm

I've been away for almost a month....talk about glass withdrawal!!! (I waved to you, Suzanne, when we were changing planes in Amsterdam ) Here's a little something that I did the other day. A little wonky, but it spins!!!!

Old 2008-01-14, 5:30pm

Thanks, Eric, for the information. I'll give it a try! I checked out your "my space" and saw that you are from Dillon, Montana...I'm from Hamilton, Montana. I'm in WI now and really miss the west!

Old 2008-01-14, 9:33pm
Normal is Boring!!

bead set was made with Laurie Bronze, purple luster and encased

Bro is teaching me pendants on his cool phantom- the flame is scary

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-14, 9:42pm
Normal is Boring!!

These are "double threaded" but I was proud of the color so they are getting posted here too

Double amber purple

Stormy weather

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-14, 10:49pm

Gorgeous Trudi!!! I especially like the DAP flower!

Old 2008-01-15, 9:17am
Normal is Boring!!

Thanks Sonya- They are fun for a change!

~
~

Antique Brass Findings

Old 2008-01-15, 4:05pm
Hummel factory reject

Wow! Really nice work everyone!!! Just saw that Kim V. was back and I wanted to post something in honor of her electroforming prowess. My electroforming kit has been collecting dust for 2 years and I finally fired it up!!! It is much less labor intensive than I thought it would be? Der... Here is a vessel that I tumble etched and electroformed.

Last edited by kiko; 2008-10-09 at 10:58am.