No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-01-09, 11:08am
J R Hooper

Default 104 Vaseline Rods

I just scored 15 rods of 9mm 104coe vaseline glass rods.
They should be here in three days or so, I've been wanting to get some 104 Vaseline for a long time, hope it's the real deal. Seller has positive feedback on the same listing from other glass artists though so fingers crossed!
Old 2024-01-09, 11:16am
J R Hooper

I don't know the seller at all, and I wouldn't want to link to the listing publicly until I've actually laid my hands on them, but the seller has one more listing up for 30 more rods on Etsy. I guess PM me for a link if you're interested?
Old 2024-01-12, 6:24pm
J R Hooper

Was trying to do some research on vaseline glass in general, and I ran across this thread here on this forum...
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=284560
Kinda bummed me out, the rods I got are absolutely beautiful, definitely vaseline, intensely florescent, and damnit, from the Czech Republic and according to the seller, they are circa 1920's so I'm guessing god only knows what the real COE is. Is encasing going to be a lost cause or has anyone here had any luck with it? I'm not too sore as I can always just make some vaseline miniatures which always sell really well, but I was dreaming of some vaseline florals and implosions... Damn!
Old 2024-01-13, 9:14am

I had not heard of vasaline glass before so have googled it. Wow! what a stunning colour!! Do show pics of what you make with it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2024-01-13, 4:16pm
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolene Wolfe View Post
I had not heard of vasaline glass before so have googled it. Wow! what a stunning colour!! Do show pics of what you make with it
It really is beautiful glass, to find rods of it was a real treat. Prior to getting the rods, I had been heating big cullets of Vaseline and Custard Glass and then tossing them into buckets of water to thermal shatter them, probably the scariest thing I've ever done as a glass artist. Mostly I had just made miniature marbles out of them as the COE of it was a crap shoot. These rods were advertised as 104, but I'm starting to doubt that as they are from the Czech Republic.
Custard

Vaseline
Old 2024-01-14, 6:33am

Oh how beautiful

I heated a golf ball sized piece of goldstone in the kiln and tossed it in a bucket of water once. It was absolutely terrifying!!!

Last edited by Jolene Wolfe; 2024-01-14 at 6:36am.
Old 2024-01-14, 11:53pm
Salt Box Beads

Museum of Radiation and Radioactivity

This site is a very interesting read on Uranium glass and some of it's history.
Old 2024-01-15, 5:04am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Museum of Radiation and Radioactivity

This site is a very interesting read on Uranium glass and some of it's history.
Apparently the Romans have some Uranium Glass that dates back to 79AD, have no idea how they would have known about it back then but I remember running across that trivia when I first got into making vaseline and custard minis. There was a laboratory that purchased some of them from me one time, don't remember why they wanted them but they measured a set of about 140 of them and said they were one CPM above background radiation. I think the custard was just slightly more than the vaseline was. I've got about 40lbs of cullet here and always wondered if I was going to end up glowing in the dark over it LOL
Old 2024-01-15, 9:18am

For 104, anyone know how the MORETTI OPAL URANIUM YELLOW and MORETTI URANIUM YELLOW compare to Custard and Vaseline? ABR has both available:

https://www.abrimagery.com/Moretti-Opal-Uranium-Yellow
https://www.abrimagery.com/Moretti-Uranium-Yellow-Rod

If you are open to Boro, BoroBatch Electric Coconut is pretty close to Custard in color, and Molten Aura Citrine is very close to Vasaline

https://www.abrimagery.com/BB-Electric-Coconut-Rod-Top
https://moltenaura.glass/product/citrine
Old 2024-01-15, 10:31am

Pretty sure neither of those 104 colors are fluorescent
Old 2024-01-15, 11:14am

Kay has a bit on Striking Yellow and it's effects on listen-up.org/Beads/Striking-Yellow.htm

I remember taking part in that test years ago, mine were made on a Mini CC. Nothing earth shattering at all but the orange fluorescence of someone else's beads (at the top) was very cool. I don't think I ever got that with the mini. Who even knows if striking yellow is the same formula now.

Old 2024-01-15, 11:14am
J R Hooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
For 104, anyone know how the MORETTI OPAL URANIUM YELLOW and MORETTI URANIUM YELLOW compare to Custard and Vaseline? ABR has both available:

https://www.abrimagery.com/Moretti-Opal-Uranium-Yellow
https://www.abrimagery.com/Moretti-Uranium-Yellow-Rod

If you are open to Boro, BoroBatch Electric Coconut is pretty close to Custard in color, and Molten Aura Citrine is very close to Vasaline

https://www.abrimagery.com/BB-Electric-Coconut-Rod-Top
https://moltenaura.glass/product/citrine
Yeah the Uranium Yellow and Opal Uranium won't be florescent in a black light. The Uranium Yellow is a great transparent color, and I've used quite a bit of it over the years, but that's about all it is. I've still got a rod of the opal back there somewhere as well, but I think the vaseline and custard has at least 3%, usually oxides, and often more depending on the manufacturer so I would assume there is a threshold for UV response.
Old 2024-01-15, 1:13pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
Yeah the Uranium Yellow and Opal Uranium won't be florescent in a black light.
huh, surprising, I was under the impression it didn't take much at ll to get the UV response. I have never personally used either color, just saw that they were listed.
Old 2024-01-15, 8:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevingreenbmx View Post
huh, surprising, I was under the impression it didn't take much at ll to get the UV response. I have never personally used either color, just saw that they were listed.
I donít think they contain uranium. They are just named that due to the tone of yellow
Old 2024-01-16, 6:44am

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
I donít think they contain uranium. They are just named that due to the tone of yellow
ah, that's misleading and unfortunate.
Old 2024-02-09, 10:36am
J R Hooper

If the Universe is kind to me today and nobody steals my package, Fedex is dropping off a package of both yellow and green vaseline glass rods.

Totally excited about the green, never seen it before. According to the seller, it is 100 year old rods they found in some old warehouse in the Czech Republic back when they were trying to compete with Italy. The yellow, I already have some, and it will light up a room in UV. Sent some to a lab a while back and they said it was just above background radiation so hopefully I won't be growing a parasitic twin or something.

Old 2024-02-09, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
If the Universe is kind to me today and nobody steals my package, Fedex is dropping off a package of both yellow and green vaseline glass rods.

Totally excited about the green, never seen it before. According to the seller, it is 100 year old rods they found in some old warehouse in the Czech Republic back when they were trying to compete with Italy. The yellow, I already have some, and it will light up a room in UV. Sent some to a lab a while back and they said it was just above background radiation so hopefully I won't be growing a parasitic twin or something.

Old 2024-02-09, 11:14am
J R Hooper

An extra arm wouldn't be too bad for some stringer work, but I wouldn't want it to be sentient y'know? LOL