No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2024-02-07, 7:17am
J R Hooper

Default Anybody Here Own a Polariscope

I purchased a fairly significant quantity of some Czech Vaseline Glass rods that are supposed to be 104coe, and I made a couple of 3/4 inch marbles with some of that glass imploded into it. So far I haven't had any issues, however a friend of mine who also purchased some of that glass has had a fit with their beads cracking. I have a brick kiln and ran a very conservative program, my friend owns a chilipepper kiln and shuts off at like 700 or something, anyways...

If anyone here has a polariscope and can take a look at one of these marbles and maybe get a definitive answer on compatibility, I would be greatly in their debt. I don't want to sell any marbles if they are going to crack, but I have a pile of this stuff and I'm chomping at the bit to start selling some marbles.

If one of you guys have a polariscope, and can take a look at one of these marbles and see if it's stressed or not, I'll gladly let you keep the marble. Just PM me your shipping address and your email so we can get a final answer on whether or not it is 104. It would be greatly appreciated! I don't know anything about polariscopes, so if a certain thickness or like a layered cabochon or something is needed to look at it, let me know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2024-02-07, 7:51am

Get a sheet of polarized film: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=polarized+...ng&ia=shopping

Then put a pure white picture on your phone screen at max brightness. Your phone screen is polarized, so if you hold the piece between your phone and that film, and look through it, it will show you the stress distortion you want to see. It's by far the cheapest/easiest way to get access to a polariscope.
Old 2024-02-11, 2:50pm
Slogan Challenged...

with the film on top, then the piece, then the phone? or the other way around?

Facebook:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Etsy:

Old 2024-02-11, 5:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
with the film on top, then the piece, then the phone? or the other way around?
eye>film>piece>phone screen displaying bright white
Old 2024-02-11, 8:38pm
J R Hooper

So it would need to be a clear piece to begin with... going to have to make a marble specifically for looking through then. The two I've already made with it are implosions with solid colors on the bottom. Next time I fire up the kiln I'll do a couple simple ones out of solid clear and the vaseline. I've also just gotten a shipment in of several green vaseline glass rods that the seller is also claiming to be 104. So far the ones I already made haven't cracked, but I know better than to trust that alone.

Old 2024-02-12, 6:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesnbec73 View Post
So it would need to be a clear piece to begin with...
Some colors you can see through enough to check the stress still. it becomes pretty obvious what the limitations are once you have one in front of you to play with.