Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-21, 7:01am
reaction junkie

Thanks Mike - I'll look for one of those next.

Thanks Bonnie - this is SO exciting! And yes, step by step pictures because I think this will make life so much easier for other people down the road - it's just so confusing to read about it and have no idea what the materials are or how it fits together. But I have a plan! And I think it's even going to work! I can't wait to find out how loud/quiet it's all going to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-23, 11:55am
reaction junkie

Been working on the hood part. Step by step pictures on my website under today's date, March 23rd:

http://www.bluebetween.com/studio.htm

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-23, 12:33pm
are we there yet?

Very helpful thread and I love the idea of the galvanized tub. However, I've checked the Grainger website and the 4C445 and 4C870 are both discontinued. Any other suggestions for a blower?

Thanks.

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well make beads. jazz
Old 2007-03-23, 12:36pm
reaction junkie

The number on my box is 4C445A if that helps. I just got it a couple weeks ago.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-23, 1:04pm
reaction junkie

yes, it says that one is discontinued but may be available at a distributor. BUmmer.

I don't know my fans at all... but what about 4YJ32 or 5C508? Perhaps they are in the process of updating the site with fans they will replace these discontinued ones with.

/
/
/
Old 2007-03-24, 11:03am

When I went looking for that blower I saw that it has been discontinued. However I found a dealer on ebay so I purchased one, and now just waiting for it to arrive.

Here is another one they have listed...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dayton-Blower-46...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Litsayn; 2007-03-24 at 11:06am.
Old 2007-04-02, 7:38am
reaction junkie

I've got my return air figured out here: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47329

fresh air up from under studio crawlspace and up wall under hood:

and my hood is just about done and ready to mount (just have to put drywall up first)

sure hope it all works!

/
/
/
Old 2007-05-28, 3:26pm
reaction junkie

OK! Moving right along, hubby is trying to wire up my blower but there are no instructions. Does anyone have any? Thanks!

/
/
/
Old 2007-05-28, 4:33pm
Gentleman of Leisure

What blower do you have and what are the wires coming out of it?

Could be as simple as getting a universal replacement (appliance) line cord at hardware store and wiring it white to white, black to black, and green to green...And just plug cord into outlet.

If it's a two speed or multi speed then it will require a special switch or controller and some instructions...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-05-28, 6:43pm
reaction junkie

hi Dale, thanks for responding. It's a Dayton blower 4C445A and in the time I took trying to find the answer online, he wired it up - no power to test it yet, it's getting hardwired to a switch in the wall - next thing is to dig a ditch and get the electricians back out to hook the box up. Lets hope it works!

/
/
/
Old 2007-05-29, 8:14am
reaction junkie

thought I'd add these pictures too, in case anyone finds them useful.

The box for the fan outside my studio:

/
/
/
Old 2007-05-29, 9:15am

Wow Pam, you have been busy and your blower box is great. Your DH sounds great, we are blessed to have handy helpers.
This thread is terrific and very helpful. Just wonderful thanks again, MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-29, 9:41am
reaction junkie

Thanks Marie Ann It's coming along... just grout, trim and hanging my hood and then I'm moving in! Oh, and we still need to drill a hole for my propane hose - forgot about that until yesterday! But it shouldn't be a big deal. And of course electricity... still need to hook in to the house and are waiting on electrician for that.

/
/
/
Old 2007-05-31, 1:44pm

What it a duct starter ring and where can you buy one? MarieAnn
Old 2007-05-31, 6:22pm
reaction junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadgirl View Post
What it a duct starter ring and where can you buy one? MarieAnn
Home Depot is where I got mine - go to the ducting section and it will say it on the box.

It's this tube thing with the tabs:

and you fold the tabs to start your venting - so that it can grab on to something:

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-05-31 at 6:25pm. Reason: more.
Old 2007-06-01, 11:23am

Hi Again,
My blower intake ( the part that sucks) that needs to be attached to duct work it is 10" I can not find one that large. Then I need to reduce it to 6' duct. I'll try to explain it 800 CFM Centerfugal blower by dayton then it has a curved ring that attaches with screws. you undo it and attach dut work. The thing you cut with your tin snips. How big is yours?
This is not my idea of talking dirty, ha ,ha. If I don't laugh I might cry!
Lol, MarieAnn

Last edited by beadgirl; 2007-06-01 at 11:26am.
Old 2007-06-01, 11:33am
reaction junkie

ok, the sucky part of your blower (LOL) needs a Vent Cap - 10 inch. That is what you cut your hole into. Mine was 8 inches (I think). The Starter Ring is what I used to start the venting on my washtub.

If homedepot/lows don't have 10 inch vent caps, there has to be a HVAC company that will sell you one or tell you where to find one. Good luck!

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-05, 10:50am
reaction junkie

ok, so some know-it-all at my husband's work said the fan box (above) needs holes in it because the fan motor needs air.

Could anyone tell me if he's right? The only hole in the fan box is where the exhaust comes out.

Thanks!

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-05, 11:06am
What, Me Worry?

The particular fan is not designed to be 'enclosed'. The fan motor relies on air circulation to dissipate heat and cool the bearings. Yes is needs air.

You may want the know-it-all to come visit and take a look at the installation before you go too much further.

Me
Old 2007-06-05, 11:19am
Gentleman of Leisure

Yes fan is like live animal, punch some vent holes in box so it can breath...

Dale

Old 2007-06-05, 11:23am
reaction junkie

thanks - will put another screened hole in the bottom of the box then.

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-11, 6:43am
reaction junkie

My hood is up! Floors are done! Trim is half-done and waiting for paint. Ditch is done and waiting for electricians to come electrify things. Getting CLOSE!

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-11, 2:42pm
bead-dreaming

Default Question for Mike, Dale and others

Mike, Dale and others...Can I adapt this for a table top system? In other words, the tub laying sideways on the table in front of the torch. The tub will be attached to a rigid duct like Pam's and then to the fan. I'm thinking using some sort of swivels to attach/detach the tub and duct from the fan when I'm done torching.

Pam, thanks for sharing your pictures!

Mary

Old 2007-06-11, 4:13pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Hood needs to be above torch to capture combustion plume. Its a simple fact heat rises and its easier to capture it from above than from side or back... IF you attempt side capture with a "tub" you will have to have at least twice the fan power you need for a top capture system...

Personally I would not recommend it.... Only thing I would consider for "side capture" would be using a "fume cabinet" design and have large fan in back of cabinet near top routed directly to outside...

Dale

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-11 at 4:31pm.
Old 2007-06-11, 5:22pm
bead-dreaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Hood needs to be above torch to capture combustion plume. Its a simple fact heat rises and its easier to capture it from above than from side or back... IF you attempt side capture with a "tub" you will have to have at least twice the fan power you need for a top capture system...

Personally I would not recommend it.... Only thing I would consider for "side capture" would be using a "fume cabinet" design and have large fan in back of cabinet near top routed directly to outside...

Dale
Thanks Dale for the response. I'd appreciate if you could elaborate on the fume cabinet design. I'm picturing a box with a front opening where the torch is and another opening on the back (near the top) where the fan is connected. Please recommend dimensions and fan model if possible. I work with a minor use soft glass only.

Mary

Old 2007-06-11, 8:31pm
Gentleman of Leisure

You have the concept correct.... Fan size will be in relationship to front opening...

IF your front opening is 24 x 30 inches that equals 720 square inches ...

720 sqin. divided by 144 (one square foot) = 5 sqft...

The 80-100 cfm rule for fume hoods makes your fan capacity needs to be about 500CFM.... This box system works extremely well in front of window where you can directly vent (with fan) out the window...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=90

Dale

Old 2007-06-11, 8:54pm
reaction junkie

Mary, look at this set-up - I think it looks really nice and also looks easy to do - maybe this is more what you might be looking for?
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48576

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-11, 9:24pm
reaction junkie

and now I have propane.... tomorrow I get power and we get to see if this thing works or not! (Crossing fingers and toes....)

/
/
/
Old 2007-06-12, 9:22am
bead-dreaming

Thank you Pam and Dale! I'm off to read those posts.

Edited to say: This is excellent information! The box idea seems promising for my situation. Thank you again!

Mary

Last edited by beadreaming; 2007-06-12 at 9:54am.
Old 2007-06-12, 10:28am
reaction junkie

Oh good Mary - hope it works out for you!

OK!!! NOW the electricians just left. MY FAN IS WORKING. It's a little noisy, but not too bad - not like my old one anyway. BUT....

It seems really weak. It doesn't seem to be pulling that much air up. I mean, it's not sucking me to oz or anything even close. I guess I'll have to set the torch up and see if the flame even moves... does anyone have any suggestions what I should look for as to the reason for this? Shouldn't it feel pretty strong? Thanks!

/
/
/

Last edited by BlueBetween; 2007-06-12 at 11:01am.