Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2008-04-15, 6:52am

Default Advice Needed on Studio lights

The electrician is coming on Thursday to wire my studio and I'm having a hard time deciding on lights. I know I'm going to have trac lights over the work bench, but I am also considering 4 recessed lights in the ceiling, the ceiling is vaulted and not flat, I'm wondering is that overkill in such a small space (12 x 16)? A friend suggested a ceiling fan, but I don’t think that will work with the torch, does anyone have a ceiling fan in their studio? Here's a picture of the wiring plan, any suggestions?
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-15, 7:58am
SSDD... go ahead, ask me!

I have a ceiling fan in our shop. I don't have it on during torching as it moves the air around the torch too much. However with ventilation over your torch area, this shouldn't be a problem. With vaulted ceilings, I would thing you would get uneven lighting through out. What about having lights that hang down so they are all even length throughout your studio? Do you know what I mean?
Old 2008-04-15, 8:05am

You can never have too many lights as long as you switch them seperately
and use a dimmer if they are incandecent. I would use recessed can lights that have an adjustable can so when mounted in a angled ceiling they can
be positioned so the light comes down plumb vertically.
If you are going to have counters on every wall or at least something that you will need light for on every wall, I would put a can light over each space of usable wall.I think that you will need at least five around the perimeter.
If you don't want them all on all of the time, you can just put every other light on a different switch or switch seperate sections of work areas.
You may end up with three dimmer switches.
My best advice is to do it now because it may not be accessible later and will probably cost alot more later. My shop is 10x12 and I have a section of three
spots over my torch on one dimmer, a section of six spots over a work area on another dimmer and a 8ft high output fluorescent over my crucible kiln and an annealer on another switch. I usually only have one section on at a time.
As far as the fan goes, you can put one in but, you won't be able to use it while you are torching unless you like chasing the flame around.....
It would be better for your task lighting above your torch to be mounted so that the light comes straight down onto your torch . If you wall mount
your lights they will be lighting the back side of your work instead of the top or front which is where you will see what you are actually doing.
I hope this helps. Mike
Old 2008-04-15, 8:08am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elegance_1 View Post
I have a ceiling fan in our shop. I don't have it on during torching as it moves the air around the torch too much. However with ventilation over your torch area, this shouldn't be a problem. With vaulted ceilings, I would thing you would get uneven lighting through out. What about having lights that hang down so they are all even length throughout your studio? Do you know what I mean?
Yes, I think I know what you mean about the hanging lights, are you thinking in addition to the trac lights above the workbench? I don’t think I'll do a ceiling fan, I like the idea but I don’t like the idea of it messing with the torch flame. As for ventilation I am going to go with this funnel vent system, I don’t like the idea of having a hood over my head.

I am leaving in about an hour to pick out the lights so I REALLY appreciate your input!
Old 2008-04-15, 8:11am

Thanks Mike!
Yes, I want to get it right the first time, I'm a bit nervous about getting the lights, having them wired and hating it when it's done!
Old 2008-04-15, 11:07am

Default something else you may want to think about

Hi
I found it important as well to have a light focusing on my glass storage area...so when i get up to pick a couple of rods/or when i prep to torch - it is nice to have all the rods lit up so that it is easier to pick/choose and get inspired...mine were just in the corner on shelves (in a shadowy area) and it was difficult to properly see the colours, now I have a light shine on my stash...
Paulette
Old 2008-04-15, 2:29pm

Default something else to think about

I have a 12x16 building with the same ceiling, You can never have enough lights. Also you might add plenty of outlets too around on your wall, incase you want to do more later. I have 100 amps in my studio. I can pull anything. I had a 20 amp outlet put in because of my kiln. Most Kilns are 15amp , but you cann't put a 20 amp plug into a 15amp. Just incase my next kiln is a 20amp. Course I do metal work too and have a refrigerated window air conditioner. Does not affect my torch.
Hope this helps.
Good Luck with studio
Janet
Old 2008-04-15, 5:01pm

I just got back from shopping and decided on these lights, I'm getting two, one will go over my workbench the other will go over my glass storage shelf. I'm also going to have 4, adjustable, recessed lights put in the ceiling, and every set of lights will be on their own dimmer switch. I think that will be enough light, if I need more I have a great collection of lamps I can harvest from!
Attached Images

Old 2008-04-16, 9:46am

That's very similar to what I just put in ours. Those lil lights are bright!
Old 2008-04-16, 9:59pm

My workspace is shared with my wood shop and I have a lot of overhead florescent lighting. But when I am at the torch I prefer to turn those off and have two halogen lights that focus right at my work. I prefer to have the area around that rather dark. I do have a window just to my right for time to reflect as I gaze out side, but come summer I will pull the shade down. I really like my lighting fixture; it also connects to my wood lathe when I’m at that. If not at the torch of course the shop is flooded with lighting. I don’t think ones shop can have an over kill of lighting as long as you can keep some on and others off. I agree that a ceiling fan might be nice. not sure if it would mess with your flame on the torch, but I cant see how it might interfere with your exhaust out take if its adequate. Here is the lighting I use at the torch
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.
Old 2008-04-26, 5:47pm

Those are the lights we have in the room where I torch. Although I have an extra fluorescent light in the hood where I torch.

I plan to replace the halogen bulbs in those lights with the long-life fluorescents as they go out. The halogens are hot, which is ok in the winter, but extra hot in the summer.
Old 2008-04-27, 6:21am

Lights are what I am missing. I have 6 can lights and the ceiling fan and they light the room. But not enough for my liking at the torch. I'm thinking about seeing if I can change the can lights somehow to either drop down lights or get a standing lamp or something.

I say add all you want because once the wires are there you can often change the fixture with less trouble.