LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-12-11, 1:33am
Um......

Default Tutorial on V-Grooved Marver......PLEASE!!

My lines dont stay in after encasing....I'm going insane!! I don't mind paying some one for their tutorial on how to make these grooved beads...someone please put me out of my misery!!
Carli
http://www.cattwalk.com/formingtrays...Grooved_Marver

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-11, 2:26am
Just Me

OK... you get the area HOT..like very moveable. press or roll on the marver.(this will depend on the shape of your base and the desired shpe of the bead.) cool.......(the trick is the cooling) Now you encase but you have to keep it cool or it will smear and go away..... Not sure how else to explain it.... If you have any questions PM me and I will get back to you.
Attached Images

Remember it's already tomorrow in Australia!
Old 2009-12-11, 3:32am
Um......

Thanks dude! That's what I'm doing but in making round beads, the shape gets all squished by pressing so firmly but once it's rounded again after being encased it seems to loose all the indentations....clear as mud?!

Your beads are great!

Old 2009-12-11, 12:07pm
I speak Murrini!

Darcy...you're wonderful for helping! Question: Doesn't it help to hold the "V" grooves if you first add a light layer of clear (light encasement), THEN use the "V" marver, then encase again?

Just wonderin'...

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-12-11, 12:58pm

How do you get the perfect lentil and maintain your encased grooves?

Minor
Old 2009-12-11, 2:59pm

I'll second the recommendation to:

-first put on either clear or other light transparent over your silver or opaque glass
-then groove
-melt smooth
-then you can add your encasing glass for the bead to give more depth
-then press (you can press earlier, but then you'll need to reshape the bead)

I've never taken any classes on this, but this is how I get that look.
Old 2009-12-11, 3:45pm
Just Me

You can use the slight layer of clear... but I dont. I use ALOT of silver glass...(if you couldnt tell) so for the rounds I make a thin barrel. then get it hot , roll on the marver, cool, reduce, then keep cool while encasing. So I dont put the clear on untill I am encasing..... so you can see ....the one in the middle its not all silver glass but the same idea. There is way more clear on that bead than any other kind of glass. Also with that one the ridges arent as deep and you can see how when I reshaped the bead the ridges did a bit of a gravity movement. ...I will get more pics when I get home from work tonight...I use alot of diffirent presses and still keep the ridges. Keep tryin!
Attached Images

Last edited by silvergypsy; 2009-12-11 at 4:14pm.
Old 2009-12-11, 5:10pm
Storm Queen

Crap. Why did I have to see this thread. Me want.

Old 2009-12-11, 5:27pm
Critter Mom

I've also got this "V" grooved marver and didn't have any luck getting the grooves to stay. I have to admit I didn't practice much...too many other things going on, but I think I'll give it another go using these directions. I just love the look of these beads and really want to figure out how it's done.

Old 2009-12-14, 3:31pm
Just Me

Did anyone manage it??????

Old 2009-12-14, 3:37pm
I speak Murrini!

I don't have my grooved marver (gave it away as a "Challenge" gift) but I'm getting another soon. I'm purty sure for me at least that the application of clear (light coat) will work for holding those groovy groove shapes. I'm on a hot head so don't want to do too much messing with encasing AFTER grooving; I hope others who have had success chime in soon!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2009-12-14, 3:59pm
Storm Queen

I ordered a marver but it hasn't arrived yet. You all make me spend more money.

Old 2009-12-14, 9:00pm
Um......

Wail, no not yet! 2 sick kids and 1 case of gastro = no bead time!

Old 2009-12-14, 9:02pm
Just Me

OK... I am off to the torch now! Going to play with the marver so I can show ya more....LOL
Hope the kids get better and hope everyone gets their required torch time soon!