Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-04-18, 7:56am

Default Advice on home owner's insurance

I am planing a new studio in my heated home or in my unheated garage (in Buffalo NY). Here's my dilemma . . Several LE postings that said to contact your homeowner's insurance agent first. My agent said they likely won't cover my home if I have a studio that's a 'business.' Since the detached garage is also considered part of the home according to the policy, it probably won't make a difference if I set it up there.

I see that most postings are from home-based studios. How have you handled the homeowner's insurance issue?

On a separate note, for those of you in the north, what have you done about staying warm in the winter in your garage?

This is my first posting to the LE community as a whole. I'd really appreciate your guidance.
Old 2009-04-18, 8:19am
Salt Box Beads

Hi and Welcome..

Insurance can be a bugaboo. I just moved the kiln and torch out of my garage into a horse trailer in order to keep our insurance.

It doesn't matter if it is a business or a hobby..no torches and no kiln.

A separate shed in the back yard carrying a separate craft hobby small business insurance is best. It is best for tax purposes also.

You also need to know about your city, county and state laws, and your neighborhood CC&R's.

Just type in insurance in search and you can read lots of info.

Please be aware though, that just because an insurance agent says it's okay the carrier may not approve it. If they say okay get it in writing.

Again Welcome and let us know what you find out because in really does help others researching through these posts.
Lorraine
Old 2009-04-18, 9:18am
burnin' glass just becuz

where are you located? i'm in Canada and insurance became a HUGE issue once i was finally completely honest with my insurance company. the previous provider just refused to renew my policy and it took me a while to find another who would cover me. The issue isn't the torch they seemed much more stressed out about risks related to the kiln.

I finally did find a provider but the new company demanded i maintain commercial insurance as well (at an exorbitant rate even though this is really just a hobby for me). There also was a huge issue (my premium quote doubled!) with the fact that i sell to the US as that country is considered high risk "due to being very litigous".

Instead i went through my provincial arts organization and got commercial artists' insurance which is great and much less expensive. It's a somewhat restrictive policy in that it is specifically geared for artists and their studio so i had to adjust my home insurance to cover the areas where it lacked. but it covers me for inventory, torching, teaching, transport btween shows etc. some of which the regular commercial insurance quote didn't and all for less than 1/3 the price i was first quoted.

I also verified with my municipal fire chief to ensure i had written permission to store my 5lb propane tank inside. i've been really super cautious about this as i live in a townhouse and in the slim chance that something might go wrong, i want to ensure i'm fully covered as well as able to cover any damage i might cause to my neighbours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland

Last edited by ewdb; 2009-04-18 at 9:20am.
Old 2009-04-20, 5:22am
old fart

insure your home/studio as a hobby studio. 99.9% of the time, that is exactally what it is. just because it is a hobby studio doesn not stop you from selling your glass on ebay, or esty or your own website. it does not stop you from selling your glass at art fairs or craft shows. it does stop you from opening your studio to the public for sales, or to give lessons in your studio. you can still have an open studio for friends and family, just don't put out signs to invite anyone.

you will still need a business policy to cover liability at shows. but your normal home owner policy will cover your hobby as long as you don't break the rules. make sure you have done everything to code, including good ventilation, make up air, properly installed fuel gas lines, proper placement of tanks outside not near make up air port.

Last edited by laserglass; 2009-04-20 at 5:24am.
Old 2009-04-21, 4:31am
BeadsonCypress

For next year....how do you handle the trailer (just got one!) as a business expense on your taxes. I have a home office too (another story) which takes care of 8% of my house expenses, but how do you handle a detached area? I've always wondered about that!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2009-04-21, 4:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
insure your home/studio as a hobby studio. 99.9% of the time, that is exactally what it is. just because it is a hobby studio doesn not stop you from selling your glass on ebay, or esty or your own website. it does not stop you from selling your glass at art fairs or craft shows. it does stop you from opening your studio to the public for sales, or to give lessons in your studio. you can still have an open studio for friends and family, just don't put out signs to invite anyone.

you will still need a business policy to cover liability at shows. but your normal home owner policy will cover your hobby as long as you don't break the rules. make sure you have done everything to code, including good ventilation, make up air, properly installed fuel gas lines, proper placement of tanks outside not near make up air port.

Mark is dead on. I sleep with my insurance agent (DH) and this is exactly what we were told by the home office. We were told we would need a liablility policy if I took in students. In case someone were to get hurt. Of course, all states are different and insurance companies vary as to what they will cover or not. So keep checking around till you find one that can meet your needs.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2009-04-22, 9:43am
Eight Miles Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post

Couldn't have said it better nyself.

Old 2009-05-02, 6:36pm

Default BIG change of Plans

Thank you all for your advice. Putting the studio in my home was going to be too limiting for my future plans AND my insurance guy just didn't get it! So it was time to think big. I put in an offer on a 1,600 sq ft brick building (only 3 miles from my house and easily accessible to visitors) and the seller accepted it. (Image attached, I hope????)

The zoning and building inspectors said it's a great re-use for that building. Originally it was a doughnut shop (with tile under the removeable Pergo floors). Most recently it was a dance studio, 2 rooms with mirrors along the long walls, 2 individual toilets, and a bit of storage. The bigger room will become the glass studio, and the smaller room will be used for photography, jewelry making, and an office area.

Not to jinx it, everything is falling in place. Now I'm developing plans for a studio where I can expand stations for students and renters as the need grows.

Wish me luck!

Expressively yours,
Vicki
Expressive Glass

Last edited by Quintessential; 2009-05-02 at 6:41pm. Reason: Want to show picture. I can't see it.
Old 2009-05-18, 2:18pm
Salt Box Beads

I am so sorry I never got back to this thread until now to answer your question...but I see you have gone a different route completely..and yes! I will wish you all the best of good luck!
Old 2009-05-19, 1:37pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I would like to point out that any homeowner's policy will not provide you with any product liability insurance. So if you sell your beads you're leaving yourself unprotected from that standpoint.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f