Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-10-27, 12:19pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Default Fill in the blanks....

I have a Paragon Bluebird with a Sentry controller. I have included my soft glass schedule and would like help filling in my chart for boro....I can follow what temps and holding people give as advice, but I get lost trying to translate it into the actual program....can someone help?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Kiln Programs.doc (38.5 KB, 438 views)

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-10-27, 1:00pm
The Venerable Bead

Borosilicate Garaging (Program 3)

Steps 1 2 3 4
Ramp Time (rA) full 400 400 400
Temperature (F) 960 1050 950 500
Hold Time (HLd) 4.0 .30 .30 0

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Paula AKA The Venerable Bead
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2006-10-27, 1:30pm
ID10T Problem Solver

Thank you soooo much!

***Scorpion (4 stud)***
Old 2006-10-27, 1:33pm
boro color bender

If that's 400 degrees per hour, that's too fast. I ramp down at 60-80 degrees per hour. You aren't losing many beads right away at the faster rate, but they will probably fail later.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-27, 2:28pm
The Venerable Bead

do what smiley says! changing my program now....

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

Last edited by Venbead; 2006-10-27 at 2:34pm.
Old 2006-10-27, 2:36pm
The Venerable Bead

smiley do you go from the soak temp 950 to 500 at that slow rate too? 80 degrees per hour? glad jana brought this up.

— Audrey Hepburn

Old 2006-10-27, 2:39pm
boro color bender

I turn mine off after strain point for smaller stuff. Heck, I even do that for bigger stuff, because my large kiln is a fire brick beast. The only thing you are worried about below 950 is thermal shock... no permanent stress is introduced into the glass. If you go slow enough from annealing temp to strain point, it's annealed and whatever stress present in the glass is locked in. That's why it's uber important to go slow enough between those two points.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-10-27, 5:09pm
ID10T Problem Solver

With Brent's adjustment, would it now be:

Steps 1 2 3 4
Ramp Time (rA) full 400 80 80
Temperature (F) 960 1050 950 500
Hold Time (HLd) 4.0 .30 .30 0

***Scorpion (4 stud)***