No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-02-26, 10:36am
Never give up

Default Newbie with Dark Ivory question

Last night I was doing some torching. When I notice my dark ivory getting this really pretty spider web look. I have read post somewhere, about dark ivory doing this. I could never get that affect with my hot head so I just stopped trying. Now that I have a minor with a oxy con. Iam really interested in how the heck I did that. How can I make sure it doesn't go back to plain ivory. It was such an exciting thing,excecpt I put it in the fire and lost it. I just wish I knew more. Can anyone help me? Not sure when you increase the oxygen or propane. Which is reduction and which is striking? Wow I am confused. Haha Thanks
Old 2009-02-26, 10:57am
Never give up

Oh my Kimberley that bead is awesome. Thats what mine did, until I put it back in the flame and it was almost gone. I just couldn't figure out how to get it back. When you say neutral to slightly oxidizing flame , do you mean turn down the propane?? I just won this minor - oxy con(thanks nagi). Coming from a hot head torch Iam confussed. I have my oxy con set at 4.5 (read that somewhere) and I use the propane to adjust the flame. Is that correct? Right now I don't have anything brass. I guess it's another think I need to save for once I get back to work. Sorry I know Iam full of questions but this torch is all new to me. Thanks for showing your wonder bead. Love it.
Old 2009-02-26, 11:11am
Yeah me!

You can create black webbing by adding dots of colors like intense black, petroleum green, and raku. Others will react too but those three create the best webbing. Fossil does some really nice webbing similar to dark ivory.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-02-26, 12:35pm
Likes to melt stuff...

Dark Ivory also makes a nice base for a lot of the reduction and striking glasses...really makes the colors come out!
Old 2009-02-27, 10:43am
Peerless Thread Killer

I have made some awesome beads using dark ivory, fuming it heavily with silver, then putting it into a high oxygen flame. The "veining" turns an awesome black, and it's a totally different look than the intense black webbing, which I also love.

Old 2009-02-28, 9:29am

Do you have a stainless steel pie server?
Or anything stainless steel & flat? (bottom of a pan you don't use much? turn it upside down on your workstation!)
That works ALMOST as good as brass....for quick cooling/laying hot glass on/rolling hot glass on!
(kitchens are a wonderful place to steal stuff from for glass work!)

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2009-02-28, 9:47am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Light silver leaf works also - not as beautiful as fuming, IMHO, but still pretty!
Too right! I did an awsome bead w/dk ivory and silver foil. Not as delicate as the leaf, but I got an incredibly organic finish! Almost like a silver nugget texture, but finer, like a stone with a network of silver veins.

Old 2009-02-28, 5:30pm
old person/new member

I use a hothead and I found that the 1 lb tanks get freezing cold....I rub my bead on the bottom of the tank for cooling. Works pretty well.

Old 2009-03-13, 8:33am
Never give up

Thanks so much for all your help. Thought you might like an update. I work in my very cold garage so it took some time before I could get back out there and try anything.Right now I don't have a stainless steel pie server but I will be looking for one. I thought you would like to see what I did. Need more work on my ends because they are bad. One I couldn't get off the mandrel and one is burnt. . I did how ever make a small one. Wish I had 2 I think the small beads would make great earrings. I know I need alot more PPP still not letting it cool enough, but its so much fun to see the reaction. So many things I need to practice. It will be a little while longer its really cold here AGAIN. Thanks for all your suggestion it really helps. God bless.
Old 2009-03-13, 8:40am

I love dark ivory! I think its my favorite. LOL!

My Facebook
Old 2009-03-13, 8:53am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberly View Post
Brass is not essential - it just makes things go a little bit quicker. You can just heat and allow to cool, reheat, allow to cool, etc. It will work. When you go back to the flame you may lose SOME of your webbing, but some should stay.

I use my graphite marver but I keep a glass of water to cool it down in - shucks, it's even wet when I marver but I have no fear of cracking the bead because it's so hot it evaporates the water quickly.
Old 2009-03-13, 9:11am
Never give up

swamper thanks I am going to try the water trick as soon as I can get back out there. I really wish my garage was heated. angelique_redhead was 100% correct on the turquoise and dark ivory. Wish I had Carrot red and 422 special red, she also suggest using those with dark ivory. Dark ivory is also my new favorite. I love the reaction.
Old 2009-03-15, 12:42am

lol...I usually have a can of soda when I work...I roll the bead up and down on the side of the can...
Old 2009-03-21, 7:54am
Never give up

So many great idea's, I have to try the soda can. Thanks