Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2010-09-11, 11:05am

Default Naming Colors

CiM (Creation is Messy) comes to us from Kathy who is very involved with the production at the factory! There is plenty of testing that goes into each of her colors, each one gets tested many times to be sure that when the product reaches you.....it will work correctly and the color be consistent.

When Kathy makes a new color there becomes a standard as what it should look like and it should remain constant each time you order it. But as we know, color production has a way of changing and giving you a different color, even though the same ingredients and same techniques are used each to produce it.

When CiM produces any color and it is not the 'standard', CiM will use the same stock number, but it becomes a "unique" and the stock number will have a -1 , so Bordello, if the production is too light, it becomes 511109-1. If they make it again and it is too dark it becomes a -2 and sometime in the future if it is just the same tonality as the -1, well Kathy gives it a -1, but if it is too dark and darker than the -2, it becomes a -3.

As far as naming colors goes, CiM has a unique way of naming colors. Just take a look at her list of colors and you see that while Pumpkin may be the color of a pumpkin, many of her names come from different characters in movies, books and perhaps from television....like what color is Smurphy?

But for those of you who use CiM, you finally understand that Peace is white and Tuxedo is black......but we all have seen white tuxedos.

When Effetre produces a new color that will be a regular production item, they do give it a name. Sometimes the name is the color of a flower, but that flower only grows in Italy and very few of us know what that particular flower color looks like (except for Paula), so at Frantz Art Glass we try to pick a color that our customers can make a connection to. But sometimes the first production may look like that sea cucumber, but the next time they produce it, it may look nothing like a sea cucumber. Naming glass does not always work perfect, but as long as you like the color, who cares?

When Effetre makes a color that they produce only one time, they only give it a stock number and it is our job to name it.

When Effetre made one run of a color that was green, we thought it looked like an artichoke and the name Okey Dokey Artichoke was born.

Most Effetre colors are consistent. There is very little difference in transparent Effetre color from one production to another. There are probably only a few Effetre colors that may have slight changes in tonality. When we find a major change, we let our customers know by putting a dash next to the stock number and a few letters which are the abbreviation for the name which is in the description area.

The one thing we can work with is stock numbers as they should be those given to us by the factory.

If we called all Coral just Coral, customers would get very upset with us, so we give each tonality of coral the name coral, but put a dash and a new tonality that may describe it well, and maybe not, but at least we try to let you know that this coral is not what normal coral looks like. like 591420-SB for Sunburst. To some it may look like a sunburst to others it may look like a poppy flower, but at least you know that it is different from regular coral. And yes, you might be asking right now "what does normal Coral look like?"

I saw some about 20 years ago, and it was the greatest color ever. From time to time they come close and we try to get every production that they make, and that is why we probably have 3,000 pounds of coral.

Mikey

Frantz Art Glass Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Torch Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206
Old 2010-09-11, 2:50pm
Favorite color is shiny

I just love reading the how, when and why of the glass business. It's very very interesting. Thanks Professor Mike
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
... much appreciated!

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-09-11, 3:49pm

Thanks Mike. Very interesting and informative. When I order glass I try to go by number as I know different vendors have different names for the same glass. Still, even going by the number, you will still get glass that doesn't quite match up with your existing batch. For instance, orange. I've ordered orange evertime I order glass recently and get different colors every time. I had a batch that was more of a TN orange that I loved. Now I have a lighter orange with more yellow in it and another batch has more red in it making in too dark IMO. I don't know how to get some of the orange that was just right to me.
So even with the number system you don't always get what want.

"People can be the wind beneath your wings or the anchor on your boat" John Maxwell
Old 2010-09-11, 6:28pm

Quote:
Thanks Mike. Very interesting and informative. When I order glass I try to go by number as I know different vendors have different names for the same glass. Still, even going by the number, you will still get glass that doesn't quite match up with your existing batch. For instance, orange. I've ordered orange evertime I order glass recently and get different colors every time. I had a batch that was more of a TN orange that I loved. Now I have a lighter orange with more yellow in it and another batch has more red in it making in too dark IMO. I don't know how to get some of the orange that was just right to me.
It's amazing huh? I'm still looking for that old orange that was kind of mixed with yellow

You can have a recipe for a color, follow it to a tee, but if just one thing is off like heat or whatever, it can alter the color.
I'd love to take a trip and just watch the process.
One day I'm going to head up to bullseye for a tour

Old 2010-09-11, 7:05pm

Default Candy Is Dandy, But Glass is Sweeter!!!!!!

Quote:
If you are looking for a certain tonality of orange, I do have a suggestion, and it does not matter if your purchase is 22 pounds or 1/4 pound.

The orange, for example that sits in a bin of 39 inch long or 13 inch will have no production date listed, but it is easy for me to pull your orange from a new bundle, write down the production date and include that information on your invoice. When you get the orange, give it a try, if it is exactly what you want, then you need to place another order and ask for the particular production date and then we will pull from that bundle. It is rather important that you place a new order quickly so that we can return the bundle back to our inventory. Someimes there may be 200 pounds with that production date, and other times there is only 22 pounds left.

Last shipment we got some of that 591422 opaque orange that turns out to be a translucent orange and we gave it the stock number of 591422-T (for transparent). I think we sold out, but the next shipment that arrives within the next two weeks will have 440 pounds of it aboard.

With over 200,000 pounds of soft glass, and over half of it being Effetre, we sometimes have many tonalities. For the most part the tonalities are within a small group of color, oranges, reds and corals have the biggest differences.

When I am at the factory in early October and if I see 4 different tonalities of orange, you can bet that instead of getting 400 kilos of one tonality, I will be getting 100 kilos of each tonality, and then loading up extra on the ones that I think my customers will love.

When I am at the factory, I am like a kid in a candy store
and very happy!

Mikey

The Torch Website:

Last edited by mikefrantz; 2010-09-11 at 7:08pm.
Old 2010-09-11, 7:27pm
Sheila Davis Designs

So...I guess this means you're going to Italy?

Old 2010-09-11, 7:50pm

Default Yes, I Am

Quote:
So...I guess this means you're going to Italy?
I am going to Italy and as silly as it sounds, one of the services I provide is taking customers beads to Murano and tossing them over the Main bridge on Murano into the canal.

Other times I take beads from customers and our own test beads, and sometimes beads made in China or Italy and toss them into the rocks near the lighthouse on Murano. Later on low tide I have walked on by and watched children as they pick the beads up like they were found treasures, and that is what they are. I smile, the kids are happy and even sometimes I find adults picking up beads.

Murano is to Beadmakers what Disneyland is to Children.

Mikey

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-09-11, 8:38pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
One of the services I provide is taking customers beads to Murano and tossing them over the Main bridge on Murano into the canal.

Other times I take beads from customers and our own test beads, and sometimes beads made in China or Italy and toss them into the rocks near the lighthouse on Murano. Later on low tide I have walked on by and watched children as they pick the beads up like they were found treasures, and that is what they are. I smile, the kids are happy and even sometimes I find adults picking up beads.
Murano is to Beadmakers what Disneyland is to Children.

Mikey

Old 2010-09-12, 8:28am
honorary bead lady

And your pics are still on your computer?????
Old 2010-09-12, 10:47am

Default Colors

Quote:
Mike - I DO like how you name and label you glass. I wonder if it would be helpful (or just a nightmare) to begin adding the production date to the label when you receive glass. I don't know if you always KNOW what the production date - but it sure is helpful with Double Helix glass and it might also be helpful for Effetre and Vetrofond!
Thanks for bringing us so many great colors!
Hello Kimberly.....Vetrofond does not list production dates and I do not think it would help to know those dates. Many of the special ODD colors are a one day production item. The tonality changes not by production date, but by how the different colors are combined during production. As glass is combined a certain amount of color "A" and color "B" together make the desired color, but in production the color may change and that would happen within minutes, not days.

When Effetre makes Ivory, this color may be in production for a few weeks, and usually the color is the same. Where there is a difference, we try to get both tonalities, test and if it is somewhat different, we give it a name like "translucent Ivory " or curdled Ivory. To Effetre it is just Ivory, just a different tonality.

Mikey

The Torch Website:

Old 2010-09-12, 3:45pm
Carpe beadum

This is fascinating...thanks for sharing, Mike.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 2010-09-13, 8:13pm
Back to 👊 1

Such cool information! Ya know, you should blog this kinda stuff.

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2010-09-13, 9:28pm
Creatrixie

Really interesting info, Mike...keep it coming!

My friend Marie was visiting Frantz Art Glass today. I know you're a busy guy, but I'm hoping she got a chance to meet you. I asked her to take pics!!!
I'm looking forward to hearing all about her visit. (The closest thing to Murano that I'm going to get right now....)

~Mary

There's always something new to learn!
COE 104
Old 2010-09-14, 2:00am

Quote:
Really interesting info, Mike...keep it coming!

My friend Marie was visiting Frantz Art Glass today. I know you're a busy guy, but I'm hoping she got a chance to meet you. I asked her to take pics!!!
I'm looking forward to hearing all about her visit. (The closest thing to Murano that I'm going to get right now....)
And she took a photo of me
We did chat and had fun.

mikey

The Torch Website: