Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2013-10-25, 3:27pm
tweetysweetie

Default Photoshop Challenged

I just do basic editing for my pics with my PSE10 but want to try something and am just getting frustrated trying to do something so simple, or at least I think it should be.

can someone write me down simple instructions on how to get a shape out of a simple picture... I want to take just a portion of a picture and make it into a round shape.....grrr...

I've tried that lasso thingy, when I get the circle picked out of the picture, when I click it for it to remain just that circle it is a solid picture circle..nothing from the pic...ack! appreciate some help, thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-10-25, 6:11pm

Not sure if this does exactly what you want but maybe it will help in understanding the selection tool (lasso thingy).

Make your selection.

Locate in the PSE menu the "Selection" tab.

Get the dropdown menu and choose "Invert" This will change the selection to everything in the image except the area you selected.

Hit the delete key which will delete everything in the picture other than the part you originally chose.

Back to the "Selection" menu and choose "Invert" again. You will now have just the object you selected which can be copied, pasted, moved, and, using the corners of the "box" reshaped, enlarged, or shrunk.

Hope this helps.
Fred

Old 2013-10-25, 7:01pm
Pixel Dude

Do you want to create a round circle or elliptical selection in a photo? Do you want to erase or fill the area outside the selection with white, black or another color? I have PSE11, so I hope the Tools and Palettes look similar to PSE10. If so, here goes.

1. Select the Marquee Tool in the Tool Palette. By default it is set to the Rectangular Marquee. The Lasso tool will not give you a perfect ellipse or circle.

2. Select the Elliptical Marquee option in the Marquee Tools options. Hold down the mouse, click in the photo on the upper left, sweep across the photo to the lower right, release mouse. You should have a selection (AKA "Marching Ants"). You can reposition the selection by moving the mouse inside the selection, hold down the mouse and move as desired. If you click outside the mouse, you will start a new selection. If you want a perfectly circular selection instead of elliptical, hold down the shift key first and drag across the photo. The slider in the Tool Option area lets you decide how hard or soft the edges of the selection will be. A setting of 0 (zero) is a hard edge. As the numbers go higher, the edge of the selection gets softer. Move this slider before beginning the selection process.

3. To delete the pixels outside the selection, go the top menu to Select, click and hold and slide down to Inverse. All the pixels outside the selection now editable and not the pixels inside the selection.

4. If you hit Delete, the pixels will be deleted and now the background color will show. In this case it's white. To shut off the Selection, go to Select > Deselect.

Old 2013-10-26, 11:06am
tweetysweetie

Fred & Doug....thanks so much for responding....I will be trying both of what you suggested later this weekend. I have a bunch of TweetyBird (I'm a TB fanatic!) images that I need to make into round images because I'm having someone make them into resin pendants for me, but the images i send her for consideration must be round...so I'll be anxious to see if I can make this work for me.
Doug, can I be a little birdy on your shoulder or in your brain? I think you have the masterful info about PS10 that I'm needing....just cropping, adjusting lighting is about all I can master...I start seeing all those tools, info about layers etc. I just crumble in defeat. lol thanks again!

Old 2013-10-27, 5:31am
Angie09

If you're going to have your TBs printed, they will have to be at 300dpi...and that's a whole 'nother issue and learning curve. So, be sure and check before wasting money on printing a lot of them to find out your low resolution picture didn't print well. Good luck!
Old 2013-10-27, 5:04pm
tweetysweetie

Yes Angie, thanks for the reminder....oh woah is me, always something to challenge me more....this is getting to be a work out! lol

Old 2013-11-07, 7:01am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
If you're going to have your TBs printed, they will have to be at 300dpi...and that's a whole 'nother issue and learning curve. So, be sure and check before wasting money on printing a lot of them to find out your low resolution picture didn't print well. Good luck!
Okay, going to go all geek on you here for a minute...

300 ppi is not the magic number for printing. It's been tossed around a lot so a lot of people think it is. However, the correct resolution for printing offset (like a magazine) is twice the output line screen. How do you know that? You contact the printer and ask. If they are running the job at 133 line screen, your photo need to be 266 ppi at print size. If they are running at 175 line screen, your photo needs to be 350 ppi at print size.

If you are getting photos prints, you don't need as high resolution. For printing photos, the highest I've ever used is 200 ppi. You wouldn't be able to tell any difference using anything higher. The printers that print photos just aren't accurate enough.

If you are getting banners or canvases printed, 150 ppi is plenty. In fact, some banners we've done that are made to hang across the street are 75 ppi or lower. If you ever get a chance, look at a billboard close up. Within a couple feet of the printed surface, you can't even tell what you are looking at because it's so pixelated.

Also, always leave your photos in PSD format. NEVER work in JPG format. If you need to make a JPG of your photo to send it off, that's fine. Just use the lowest amount of compression you can. But always keep your source files in PSD.

So if you've made it this far and are still awake, I congratulate you. This is what I have done for a living for more than 20 years, so I could literally talk all day about it.

One last thing - while it's true magazines and other publications are printed in CMYK, always leave your images in RGB to send to them unless they specifically request otherwise. And, if they request CMYK, find out which profile they want you to use (they should be able to supply you with it).

Old 2013-11-07, 7:02am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Baldwin View Post
Do you want to create a round circle or elliptical selection in a photo? Do you want to erase or fill the area outside the selection with white, black or another color? I have PSE11, so I hope the Tools and Palettes look similar to PSE10. If so, here goes.

1. Select the Marquee Tool in the Tool Palette. By default it is set to the Rectangular Marquee. The Lasso tool will not give you a perfect ellipse or circle.

2. Select the Elliptical Marquee option in the Marquee Tools options. Hold down the mouse, click in the photo on the upper left, sweep across the photo to the lower right, release mouse. You should have a selection (AKA "Marching Ants"). You can reposition the selection by moving the mouse inside the selection, hold down the mouse and move as desired. If you click outside the mouse, you will start a new selection. If you want a perfectly circular selection instead of elliptical, hold down the shift key first and drag across the photo. The slider in the Tool Option area lets you decide how hard or soft the edges of the selection will be. A setting of 0 (zero) is a hard edge. As the numbers go higher, the edge of the selection gets softer. Move this slider before beginning the selection process.

3. To delete the pixels outside the selection, go the top menu to Select, click and hold and slide down to Inverse. All the pixels outside the selection now editable and not the pixels inside the selection.

4. If you hit Delete, the pixels will be deleted and now the background color will show. In this case it's white. To shut off the Selection, go to Select > Deselect.
I would suggest using a mask to remove the background instead of actually deleting it. That way if you ever need the background again, it's there.

Old 2013-11-14, 11:25pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

OK, I need another answer. I thought I knew Elements 10, but somehow I cannot get the resizer to resize to post on LE!! I spent hours yesterday and today trying to figure it out.
Now I need help!! I have some great examples of Doug's lighting compared to my old way of doing photography.

Thanks, Pat
Old 2013-11-15, 2:43am
Alaska Boro

Irfan View is a free program that can be used to resize images. Either one at a time or in a batch at the rate of 3 to 4 images per second.

http://www.irfanview.com
Old 2013-11-15, 10:15am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Thanks Alaska. I used to have that program and liked it. When I bought this computer last year, it came with Photoshop Elements, so I am trying to use it. Maybe it is time to go back to irfanview.

Thanks.
Old 2013-11-15, 2:36pm
Alaska Boro

Just Google "photoshop elements 10 image resizing" as there will be some nice how to's. Even a PDF showing each step in the process.
Old 2013-11-15, 4:19pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Wow, to my rescue again! Thanks so much, Alaska.
Old 2013-11-16, 7:09am
Wyoming Silvers

Glad this thread is going. I was gifted pse10. Last Xmas... Have not gotten anywhere w it. I will give it a go again... Step by step is what I needed. I guess I was just overwhelmed w info when I tried it last spring

Lovin my Lynx with M20