Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-23, 9:58am
"Sinners have soul too"

Default Ready for a new torch...

Okay, so I'm fairly new to the boro, but I'm feeling a little hindered by the Mini CC (tanked oxy)... and I'm thinking of getting a bigger torch. So far the beads I've been making are 10-15mm, I would like to make bigger beads but it seems like it would just take forever with the Mini.
I'm really just making beads and I'm thinking of doing anything sculptural. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-23, 10:07am

I haven't used a Mini-cc (though I've used a Minor, Bobcat, Lynx, Beth Bead Burner and now have a Barracuda) but it seems like if you are using tanked oxygen for beads it might not be necessary to get a new torch already. Sometimes people just need to turn the torch up higher or work closer to the torch face to speed things up.
Flame on,
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2008-04-23, 10:09am
"Sinners have soul too"

I'll try that today, thanks!

Old 2008-04-23, 2:11pm
Corgi Cult Member

Donna, Sleekbeads (Jo) even makes marbles with her Mini and one oxycon. Shoot her a message if you have a question how far the torch can be pushed, I'm sure she'd be glad to answer. Oh, she makes great implosions on it too!

One more thought, you can pull in much tighter to the candles when doing boro compared to soft glass. So if you try cranking it up and pulling in tighter, you should melt the boro faster. Gotta watch those mandrels though, they melt pretty fast.

Last edited by artwhim; 2008-04-23 at 2:13pm. Reason: Another thought
Old 2008-04-23, 2:30pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I've just been working, cranked everything up and brought the beads/glass in closer. Exactly opposite of what I've been taught for soft glass! It's working! Yay. I am a little frightened of the way my mandrels are reacting to the heat... the bead release is cracking off on both sides of my beads but the beads seem to be holding on. I have a feeling I'm gonna be going through a lot more mandrels!

Still wanting a bigger torch! I guess I thought boro would be a good excuse to get one

Old 2008-04-23, 8:21pm

Well, if you WANT a bigger torch, I can relate to that. Needing and wanting are two different things entirely!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2008-04-23, 8:47pm

Donna
I took a class with Doug Remschneider and we used a Mini cc. It seemed to work ok. I don't remember it being really too small for what we were making so Anita is right that you need to work boro a lot close to the torch head. Almost in the candles if your torch is smaller.

BUT IMO you are going to need a bigger torch. I have seen your gorgeous focals and you need a bigger torch to get the color you want without the haze on something that size.

I had a Lynx and bought a Phantom because it had an inner flame and outer flame that could be controlled separately and because I knew how the Lynx worked.
A lot of boro workers use Barracudas!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-23, 9:05pm

Oh and did you see this thread?

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=89013

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-23, 9:21pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamn! View Post
Hee hee, yes I did... placed my order last week and got my order yesterday. Played with Turbo Amethyst, Blue Thunder and Alaskan Thunder today.

Wale is having a sale on GA colors, waiting for my order to get here... I can't believe how my little collection of boro is growing!

I KNEW I needed a bigger torch! Okay, so I really WANT a bigger torch, but I wanted a bigger torch even before the boro.

Last edited by zen-mom; 2008-04-23 at 9:22pm. Reason: typo
Old 2008-04-24, 2:58am
boro color bender

What you really need is a torch with a more focused flame. The Mini is kind of set up like a HH. The flame spreads out and is kind of bushy. This is great for soft glass, but not so great for boro. Since boro takes more heat to melt, if it's not focused, you will definitely go through mandrels. If you get a Cuda or Phantom, you can direct the heat into the glass and keep it off the mandrel much easier. A Betta or a Lynx will work well too, but the flame isn't as wide... and you did say you wanted BIGGER!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-24, 7:25am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
If you get a Cuda or Phantom, you can direct the heat into the glass and keep it off the mandrel much easier. A Betta or a Lynx will work well too, but the flame isn't as wide... and you did say you wanted BIGGER!
Yeah what he said! lolol
Wale has a sale.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-24, 8:28am
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Smiley View Post
What you really need is a torch with a more focused flame. The Mini is kind of set up like a HH. The flame spreads out and is kind of bushy. This is great for soft glass, but not so great for boro. Since boro takes more heat to melt, if it's not focused, you will definitely go through mandrels. If you get a Cuda or Phantom, you can direct the heat into the glass and keep it off the mandrel much easier. A Betta or a Lynx will work well too, but the flame isn't as wide... and you did say you wanted BIGGER!
Thank You! You answered a question I didn't even think of asking!
So far I'm leaning toward the Phantom... it's the torch I was looking at when I bought my Mini... I just couldn't justify the need (or the price tag!) at the time. I figured it was probably overkill for the soft glass work I do. But now...

Old 2008-04-24, 3:53pm

Nice choice!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-25, 10:18am

Here's another vote for a Phantom! I love mine

Old 2008-04-25, 10:25am
"Sinners have soul too"

So are the Phantom people running tanked oxy?

Old 2008-04-25, 11:07am

Yup. You can get by using concentrators for the inner flame though. I am not sure who has a set up like that!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-25, 12:29pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I was just wondering if I need to splurge on the Hurricane oxy generator... or if it would even work??

Old 2008-04-25, 12:38pm

Either give GTT ~ Willy and Wally a call or Kimberly at pyronamix (?) spelling ~ One of the sponsors here on LE. I know that there are probably lots of threads if you do a search as well.

Old 2008-04-25, 3:57pm

What is the output on those? I had two concentrators and then bought a larger concentrator but wasn't impressed with it either.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-25, 4:24pm
"Sinners have soul too"

They say it's 20 PSI / 15 LPM
Here's the page it's on: www.unlimitedoxygen.com/psycloneseries.htm

Old 2008-04-25, 4:58pm

Try one first Donna. I think the name of mine (bigger one) was the M-20 or Psyclone. Its still isn't all the juice I want.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-25, 5:01pm
da General

Donna - you will prolly need a Psyclone and even that won't power the Phantom 100%. I had the Hurricane for a bit, it was too loud for me so I exchanged it for 2 M-15s. The Hurricane does the Barracuda ok but won't be enough for the Phantom.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-25, 6:04pm

Hayley... does 2 M15's fully power a Phantom???

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-25, 6:14pm

Donna I was not saying I bought the M20/psyclone... (not sure the name since they were changing it at the time) for the Phantom.
I bought it for the Lynx. It wouldn't be enough juice for a Phantom but you could probably run the inner fire with it and used tanked oxy for the outer flame.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-25, 10:03pm

the hurricane will not run a phantom. you can use two concentrators for the inner fire like one would for the lynx and use tank for the outer fire. if you are considering a oxy generator, I would advise you to talk to Will and Wally at GTT first.
Murf

------------------------
Kobuki*Delta Elite*Mirage*Blast Shields*two DeVilbiss 5 LPM* tanks* foot pedal.

Last edited by murf; 2008-04-25 at 10:09pm.
Old 2008-04-25, 10:17pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks everybody, I appreciate all the advice. I'll probably stick with the tanks, just more of them I'm guessing

Old 2008-04-25, 10:36pm
da General

Hels - two M15s are like a Hurricane (maybe a bit less) . . . won't power the Phantom.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-27, 7:07am

Hi. Kathy was talking about me earlier. Yep, I'm running a mini cc with one oxycon.
It works, and I get my jobs done, but I do push the hell out of my equipment.
The more experienced I become, the less sufficient my equipment works for me.
But, if you're anything like me, and have no extra $$ for bigger equipment, you kind of find a way of "making it work" for yourself.
My ultimate dream, obviously, is a bigger concentrator and a boro melting torch.
For right now though... it's doing its job!

Good luck and please keep us posted on what you decide~~
Jo
Old 2008-04-27, 7:47am
"Sinners have soul too"

Hi Jo, I totally knew who she was talking about I think I've read it somewhere before that you run the Mini with just one oxy con. Don't know how you do it, I tried it for melting Effetre and moved right back to the tanks... I'm spoiled and impatient, I know.

Anyway, the hubby said he would get me the bigger torch. I was just weighing my options with how to run it.

Heheh, just noticed that you have what you're running in your sig line! That must be where I remember seeing it

Old 2008-04-28, 11:43am
Mandrel Slayer

Donna,

I run a Hellcat for boro. Most of the time I use the Mini CC part and when I am impatient or working on something larger I run the outer as well. It was really hot with tanked and still great with two m-15s.

Bonny

Nothing right now

What happens in Rockland, stays in Rockland.....
Hellcat, Two M-15s, propane and finally no tanked oxy.