Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-07-30, 1:32am
aka Pele's Fire

Default Help with a black that doesn't bleed

I am attempting to make a set of beads using only black and white. Is there a black that doesn't bleed? I thought Hades was the answer...not so....I have tried intense, Hades, and moretti black. The moretti thins out but the other two bleed badly onto the white. The Hades is feathering almost as bad as the intense black does when you really cook it. I have tried heating very slowly and making sure that I am not cooking the glass. This does help but I am still having some bleeding occur on most every bead. Is the vetrofond black any different? Did I read that somewhere or I am imagining that? I don't want to order any if it isn't going to make a difference. Any hints, tips, or success stories appreciated.

Terry
Old 2008-07-30, 1:52am
Gimme that silver glass!

In another thread, someone was begging for a bleeding black & white in Bullseye . Maybe it's an idea to switch to that for black & white beads?

And Hades only bleeds with me when I cook the hell out of it. It's quite steady imo.

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-07-30, 7:55am
Formerly "HillyBeads"

I have better luck with vetrofond black than moretti--doesn't get that purple bloom. I haven't tried this, but CIM's Peace (I think that is what their white is called) is supposed to be much denser than moretti, so maybe that would help the black behave.

Old 2008-07-30, 9:08am
geekitude on two wheels

I only get bleed on Hades when I really cook it, too. You could always overlay black with a thin layer of some transparent, though, to stop it bleeding. - jen
Old 2008-07-30, 1:36pm
Upstate New York

I make a lot of black & white beads & always use Vetrofond black...it's so much better than Effetre...

janie

Old 2008-07-30, 8:48pm
Life is change. Love it

I don't have a problem with Hades bleeding. You might want to try working cooler

Old 2008-07-31, 11:11am

Use boro

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-07-31, 12:27pm
PyronamixK

Another vote for working cooler, here.
Old 2008-07-31, 5:32pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i agree with working cooler. i've made super thin stringers of both vetro and Hades cooked them in and neither feathered nor bled (moretti is a whole other story)

you may also want to consider reworking your design - instead of working black on top of white, try white on top of black. i find even moretti black is stable when it is the base (but again don't overcook or the white will eventually begin to bleed)

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2008-07-31, 6:01pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadymilkman23 View Post
Use boro
BTW, what is your favorite boro black?
Old 2008-07-31, 6:10pm
In search of her path....

I had good luck in the past with vetrofond black...also combining with a denser white like other have suggested might be what you need.

Prints for sale in my
!