Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-02, 2:46am

Default Best Burn cream ??

Hi.. My hubbie uses a torch for work and I am a newbie lampworker. In your opinion, what is the best over the counter or prescription burn cream ?

thanks, Liz
Old 2008-08-02, 3:32am
Wait.....what?

Best thing I ever did for burns was ask my doctor for a prescription for silvadene. It works really well for burns.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-02, 3:50am
Formerly Deesigned Beads

For the first 12 hours we apply a product called Burnshield. I work in an ER as a RN. And I use it while torching. It contains teatree, etc, and think it originally comes from Australia. It not only shoothes, but also creates a barrier to further heat - which means that I can carry on with torching and not get affected by the heat from the torch. After 12 hours you need a solution like Silvadene. My burnshield is in a spray form (u also get it in sponges, but that needs to be bandaged on the skin), which is nifty, as i just spray it on, no need to cover for 1st degree burn wounds. I just keep on applaying it every 30 minutes or so.

Diana
Old 2008-08-02, 5:27am

Can Burnshield be purchased in the USA? thanks, liz
Old 2008-08-02, 6:03am

The best burn cream is pure lavender oil -- must be made from "Lavendula Augustifolia" (sp?). It takes the pain away almost immediately, it makes the burn insensitive to heat so you can continue working, and it prevents the burn from turning into a big open sore. And it smells good.

Best,
Patti
In fact, the ability to start out upon your own impulse is fundamental to the gift of keeping going upon your own terms, not to mention the further and more fulfilling gift of getting started all over again -- never resting upon the oars of success or in the doldrums of disappointment....Getting started, keeping going, getting started again -- in art and in life, it seems to me this is the essential rhythm.... --Seamus Heaney

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-08-02, 10:37am
Covered in glitter

Mary Moth on LE (Moth) makes the best burn ointment I've ever used. I'd recommend that over anything else that's out there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2008-08-02, 11:25am
geekitude on two wheels

A glass guy at Corning who happens to also be a plastic surgeon who deals with burns said in a presentation that anything with silver in the name is best - like silvadene, or any other polysporin/bacitracin type ointment with silver.
Old 2008-08-02, 2:23pm
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

Well, I guess I will put a plug in for myself!! I make and sell Burn Gel. It is listed in the Classifieds here and Etsy and my website. It is all organic, with a base of Aloe Gel and Juice, and three essential oils, lavender, teatree, and jojoba.
As an RN too, I can certainly recommend Silvadene...Mine is made for minor burns only.
Thanks, Pat
Old 2008-08-02, 3:04pm
Flamewoman

Default Silvadene Cream

I have to vote for the silvadene cream. This is what my little finger looked like
after passing it thru the flame slightly. I got the silvadene from the Prompt Care Medical Center, and 2 weeks later it is healed. It was 2nd degree and you can see it was bad. I kept it bandaged for 10 days, and took really good care with it, but it healed fast. Silvadene is a miracle as far as I'm concerned.

My Doctor's advice was "don't do that again". I hope I don't, it hurt.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-02, 4:17pm

Spenco 2Nd Skin Moist Burn Pads are very good for immediate first aid. The siver sulfdiazene creams are good for reducing scarring and infection prevention.

Robert
Old 2008-08-02, 5:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

<thud>

OMHG - that finger!

I like the moth balm also but just recently got the silver sulfadene scrip from my doc - thankfully I have not needed to try it yet, but have it on hand in case. (knock on wood)

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-02, 7:53pm
Looking for my waistline

Oh, now I need to see an after shot or I'm gonna have nightmares! That looks sooOOOOooo painful!!!
Old 2008-08-02, 11:24pm
Ad astra per aspera

Just another vote for silvadene. I've kept it by my bench since I got a bad finger burn (similar to that terrible pic...OUCH!) 9 years ago. It healed without any scarring and I even got my fingerprints back.

DH had 2nd degree burns when he was in the Navy, back in the 60s, from an accident, and was treated with something similar to silvadene. He had bad burns on his chest and back, and now only has a few shimmery spots.

Old 2008-08-03, 6:13am

After shot on the finger please--that's nightmare giving!

I use "Dr. Burts Res-Q-Ointment" (from Burts Bees) on all my minor burns (& hangnails & everything else)--it rocks & I can buy it lots of places--it's got lavendar & rosemary in it & works just fabulous. A glob of that & a bandaid & stuff heals really fast.
~luna
*reminding self NEVER to stick hands in the flame!*

new purple cricket @ home! minicc @ playing with fire in rockland! Sue & Nikki fighting over who gets to anneal the wonkies
Old 2008-08-03, 6:43am
Resident hippie

Oh Mary K that poor finger looks so sore! Isn't it great that we heal so well?
Three weeks ago I passed the index finger of my left hand through the flame. OH "J..C.." I shouted. Teacher put on Aloe Vera gel from a tube and bandaged it. It really hurt for only about 5 mins as I sat reading bead books until I felt ready to drive home. . . No more torching for me that day. The finger was creamy white with tiny black pore dots in the centre of the burn.
I put Aloe Gel from a USA Co. called Fruit of the Earth on each time I dressed it - about twice a day.
No blisters and a lovely little hard cap of skin protecting the finger. All the dry skin is gone now and only a little bit of a feeling that more skin needs to form before I really am healed.

For sure I'll have that stuff next to the torch when the shedio is finished. And an Aloe vera plant as well for good measure.

Beadanna
Old 2008-08-03, 6:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditfd View Post
The best burn cream is pure lavender oil -- must be made from "Lavendula Augustifolia" (sp?). It takes the pain away almost immediately, it makes the burn insensitive to heat so you can continue working, and it prevents the burn from turning into a big open sore. And it smells good.

Best,
Patti

Ditto. I've been lucky enough to keep my body parts out of the flame, so far, so all my burns have been from hot tools and glass. Bad enough, though that the skin turns white immediately. And it has kept the burn from blistering, as well as blocking the heat and soothing.

Whatever you use, keep it right there so you can dab/spray, etc., and save your bead.

Old 2008-08-03, 7:55am
Flamewoman

Default 2 weeks later

OK, here it is the "before and after" shot. the second shot is how it looked just 15 days after the first shot. If you ever burn yourself like this, you should immediatly cool the burn with cool water, not ice. Then I used a cold pack while I went to emergency, and they gave me another there. Keep it cool for awhile.

Looks pretty good, huh? The skin is tender, but it's healed & I'm happy.
Now I keep a large sealed container of water in my studio "just in case".
When I burned my finger I ran outside and poured bottled water on it while I ran into the house for a bowl of water. My best advice is " don't stick your finger into the flame" haha. I was making a starfish and heating and dipping into a jar of clear frit and just made a pass thru the flame like a dummy. Now I keep the frit on the same side as my hand holding the object to be dipped.

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never
know how soon it will be too late.

PLEASE like my page!
Old 2008-08-03, 8:01am
Resident hippie

Nice to see your finger looking so well Mary K.
Yes my first reaction was to put my finger in the jar of water on the table - then get the bead into the vermiculite, (I was looking for the tub, the kiln hadn't heated and I swung around mindlessly letting my hand wander into the torch) and then get help from my teacher.
Thanks for the reassurance!

Beadanna
Old 2008-08-03, 7:04pm

Default thanks

Thank you all for your suggestions.. We now have silverdene in the house and hubbie will also have at work with him.. he is healing well..
Old 2008-08-04, 7:50am
The Crazy One

I really like Pat's Burn Gel! Right after I got it in the mail I had a nasty pop of glass land on my face! OMG the pain went right away and there was no scaring!

I only wish I had it earlier as my left arm is a maze of odd scars.. Yup I treat 104 like boro, my bad...
Old 2008-08-04, 9:19am
It's about time!

For those of you allergic to SUFLA based drugs - Bactrim - you may have an allergic reaction to Silvadene as well! Err on the side of safety! Sonje, RN
Old 2008-08-04, 9:28am

When you get burned put down what your doing and run and grab a potato. Cut off a small slice and place it over the burn. Once you can feel it again cut a new slice and put it over the burn. The sooner the better to heal the burn. Within 30-45 minutes you should be able to get back on your torch and pick up where you left off.

The starch from the potato will pull the burn out from the inside. No blister, just a little hardened dead skin. I never torch without a potato in the shop. Might not be as good as some of those prescriptions but do give it a try. I swear by it, although everyone on here seems to already have their own personal burn remedies..

Burning a tanked Phantom
Old 2008-08-04, 9:40am
Tinder Bloom Studio

I also use aloe vera gel. Never had a blister and healed up with no scars. My husband turned me onto to it. He's been blowing glass and bangin' on hot metal for 20 years now (OMG!) so I guess he's seen his share of burns...but not to many! After one good one you learn or you shouldn't be doing this kind of work!

Old 2016-02-28, 4:57am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditfd View Post

Best,
Patti
Patti.. you just saved my hands and my night shift <3 words cannot express how grateful my hands are. Lavender oil is the best!!
Old 2016-02-28, 10:48am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight Creations View Post
For those of you allergic to SUFLA based drugs - Bactrim - you may have an allergic reaction to Silvadene as well! Err on the side of safety! Sonje, RN

Excellent point!

I am and many other things too so I use Aloe Vera pure gel.

Works well at the gun range too for those stray ejected casings that hit and stick....hate those.

Old 2016-02-28, 12:15pm

Default Good Burn Cream

I have had great success with one that is SSD 1% Cream

Mike

Frantz Art Glass Website:

The Torch Website:

Mike's phone: 800.839.6712 ext 206