Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-10-05, 5:47pm
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome! Have fun!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-10-05, 10:28pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I have a question for ya!

Let's say someone gave you $100 to spend on anything glassy that you wanted. What are the top 10 things you would look at and bring home? Also, aside from your kiln & torch, you have to choose ten things in your studio to grab and run out the door with because your studio is about to be consumed by flames (no kids or pets, they are all safe and sound playing at the park and being supervised by a trustworthy adult) what do you grab and run out with?
Old 2011-10-05, 10:38pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh lord! I'll have to come back to that one tomorrow.

Old 2011-10-07, 11:34am

Kalera, would you mind if I made a second version of the Romance Blend, adding the R-106 to this one? Your "light" Romance Blend is a big hit, and I'm glad that it benefits Beads of Courage as well

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-07, 11:45am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFritGirl View Post
Kalera, would you mind if I made a second version of the Romance Blend, adding the R-106 to this one? Your "light" Romance Blend is a big hit, and I'm glad that it benefits Beads of Courage as well
Go for it!

Old 2011-10-07, 12:56pm

Thanks Kalera! I'll send 25% to Beads of Courage from the Romance "dark" as well.

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-07, 4:01pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFritGirl View Post
Thanks Kalera! I'll send 25% to Beads of Courage from the Romance "dark" as well.
That's awesome! I'm really happy to be a part of that in however small a way.

Old 2011-10-07, 4:20pm

LOL! Your part's sorta huge, Kalera. The Romance blends are yours after all I appreciate your letting me make them. The kiddos are just a way that I can say "Thank You"

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-07, 5:09pm

I've always been raku challenged, but with the addition of the R-106:
Attached Images

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-07, 5:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Oooooh, those are pretty!!!

Old 2011-10-07, 6:19pm

Thanks Darlin', you are waaay too kind! Listing it now

Leslie
Frit Happens...
Old 2011-10-12, 5:03pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Bumping this thread to share a set that's just MCD and clear:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MESE:IT
How did you get that center bead to be so pink?
Beautiful set!
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-10-12, 10:20pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
How did you get that center bead to be so pink?
Beautiful set!
Thank you! The Multicolor Dark just seems to want to go bright pink under Uroboros Clear... I always forget that, and then I'll make an encased bead and go "Oh yeah!" It's a very bright, rich magenta-pink.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-23 at 8:03pm.
Old 2011-10-13, 12:47am
Cat Winx

I don't normally favor pink.. but, Kalera, dat's GORGEOUS!

~Rachel

Old 2011-10-13, 4:22am
Evil Glass Enabler

Do you think it would go that color under Uroboros Clear frit? Angelique

Quote:
Thank you! The Multicolor Dark just seems to want to go bright pink under Uroboros Clear... I always forget that, and then I'll make an encased bead and go "Oh yeah!" It's a very bright, rich magenta-pink.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-10-13, 1:40pm
Ave

Okay a bit of a situation with Uroboros clear. I use a ton of the stuff. Lately (last few months) I have been having an issue with the rods cracking about 3/4 of an inch to inch above the hot end of the rod. I do an encasement and a few seconds after putting the rod down on the rod rest the cracks appear. I have tried keeping them near the flame for a while so they don't shock before setting them down but that does not seem to help much. I end up loosing a portion of every rod as the cracked tip ends up dropping off ?? Do I need a rod warmer for this stuff or is it something else? Thanks in advance for any help..
Ave

Old 2011-10-13, 7:56pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks guys! Angelique, it will go that color in spots under the frit... you can see how it wanted to under the stringer, but for some reason I get more of that bright magenta under deep encasing.

Ave, I've had that problem and I usually use a rod warmer to solve it... I don't know if it varies from batch to batch but it seems worst during the colder months. I haven't yet tried annealing the rods but that might help.

Old 2011-10-14, 3:57am
Ave

Thanks Kalera,
Do you have a suggestion for a rod warmer? Also I have never annealed a rod before.. Do you just put it into a cold kiln and raise temp to ? Hold for ? and use same cool down I would use for beads?
Thanks Ave

Old 2011-10-14, 8:09am
I'm a lilac!

I've used both the Gold-N-Hot curling iron warmers, and a hot plate from Rite-Aid. So far the hot plate was a quarter the price and is lasting longer, plus the temperature is adjustable, so I'm a fan.

To anneal rods I just put them in the kiln before I start my beadmaking session and let them ramp up with the kiln and cool down with my beads.

Old 2011-10-14, 11:38am
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
I have a question for ya!

Let's say someone gave you $100 to spend on anything glassy that you wanted. What are the top 10 things you would look at and bring home? Also, aside from your kiln & torch, you have to choose ten things in your studio to grab and run out the door with because your studio is about to be consumed by flames (no kids or pets, they are all safe and sound playing at the park and being supervised by a trustworthy adult) what do you grab and run out with?
*clears throat*
Old 2011-10-14, 4:19pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownGirl View Post
*clears throat*
LOL this one's going to take some time and thought... and I don't have a lot of free time right now. I'll see if I can get to it this weekend.

Old 2011-10-14, 5:29pm
Evil Glass Enabler

Cool! Thanks. That could really make a good looking bead. Angelique

Quote:
Thanks guys! Angelique, it will go that color in spots under the frit... you can see how it wanted to under the stringer, but for some reason I get more of that bright magenta under deep encasing.

Ave, I've had that problem and I usually use a rod warmer to solve it... I don't know if it varies from batch to batch but it seems worst during the colder months. I haven't yet tried annealing the rods but that might help.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-10-16, 6:34am
Melts glass~makes jewelry

Did anyone post this yet? I found parts and tumblers for the lortone tumblers. now what kind of ceramic grit did we need for etching beads?
http://therockshed.com/partslortone.html

Old 2011-10-16, 9:48am

I just ordered 2 additional tumblers and some ceramic shot. I'm set now. Thanks for the info to let me know what to get.

Old 2011-10-16, 10:35am
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
I just ordered 2 additional tumblers and some ceramic shot. I'm set now. Thanks for the info to let me know what to get.
Thank you for the link to lortone and parts!!!

~Rachel

Old 2011-10-16, 12:48pm

You are so welcome, Rachael! I see you like shiny things. Do you watch his new show Castle?

Old 2011-10-16, 1:07pm
Cat Winx

Smile pppraaaooowwwww...

Oooooo... yes.. (and how did you know he was my type of "shiny"? )

I still loved him best as Mal in "Firefly" and "Serenity", though...

Old 2011-10-16, 1:30pm

I knew cos Mal is the shiniest!

me, too. i was watching firefly with a friend the other day and was so enamored again! He was SO hot! I can't believe we only have one season to go back and watch. and a movie.

Old 2011-10-16, 3:12pm
Cat Winx

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattybeads View Post
I knew cos Mal is the shiniest!

me, too. i was watching firefly with a friend the other day and was so enamored again! He was SO hot! I can't believe we only have one season to go back and watch. and a movie.
Agreed.
My friend Ernie is a complete Sci-Fi Uber Geek and I was complaining to him about it.. asking if ole Nate might ever revisit the role.. but he pointed out that he was having WAYYY too much fun playing Castle (which does make a certain sort of sense). Still ...loved Mal I did (and the entire cast, actually :}.

Sorry Kalera.. for using your thread for a Serenity/Firefly fan site for a couple of posts <hanging head in shame>

Back to your regularly scheduled good works in sharing so much of what you know (which, by the way, makes me want to start buying 96 COE glass almost every time I read it!!!)

:::HUGS:::

~Rache

Old 2011-10-16, 4:00pm

Kalera, does annealing the rods help when you have shocky glass?

Barbara

Barbara