LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-29, 2:41pm

Default Tanked o2 longevity???

so my oxygen ranout last night, I've probably only run my torch for 20 hours at most with it. I thought it would last longer than but I was running it close to 20lbs of pressure I thought my torch (beth barracuda) said to run from 15-20 lbs but it actually said 10-20lbs. so I think I'll set up closer to 10 next time. The tank is one of those torpedo shaped tanks it holds about 100 lbs I think but they call it a "300 tank" although I dont believe 300 refers to the poundage. Its hard being a newbie, so much to learn about this stuff. anyways just writing this to get opinions and advise about this. thanks
Old 2008-06-29, 3:05pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I have heard of people only getting 20 hours or so with a minor out of the tall tanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-06-29, 3:38pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

lots of things can effect your oxy use. YOur torch itself and its needs, how you adjust your torch and flame, and what type of work you are doing, and LEAKS. You can aslo waste a lot of oxy letting the torch run when you dont actually have glass in the flame.

So, get some soapy water and leak test your oxy lines first. Then take a look at how strong you are running your flame. Sometijmes you can actually cool your flame down by having too much oxy running. Often a softer flame is actually hotter, and still not a reduction type atmosphere. Try to get with another experienced person and work on flame chemistry and adjusting your torch. Last, waste not want not.... If I am searching for rods for the next set of beads, or thinking, or going to the radio, doin abit of thinking, I turn off my oxy, and my gas down low to just a lil pilot. I got trained in a production shop, and wasting oxy was a pet peeve of the shop owner. So I got it drilled into my lil pea brain early on to conserve it. Its now a habit with me, and I am sometimes stunned at watching others yak away, or walk away from a torch running, yak on the phone etc, and wast oxy. So, look at your shop habits as well.

Other than glass oxy will be one of your biggest expenses, so, get used to it.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-06-30, 6:26am

Wow. I get a LOT more than 20 hours (I'm on a minor). I don't know the "poundage" of my tank - but it's about 5 feet tall LOL. I agree with Candice's suggestion to check check check your connections, etc. When you connect your hose, you can usually hear if there's a leak - a very slight hissing sound. Also, I have VERY rarely had a tank delivered not full. When you turn the valve on, your pressure needle should shoot up pretty high. Sorry, don't know the number off the top of my head. I'm more used to just checking visually and saying "yeah, that's about right." I run my at 20 pounds of pressure, torch about 12-15 hours on the weekends, and get at least 3 weekends out of a tank. At LEAST. Hope that helps!
Old 2008-06-30, 9:17am

Your oxy use is totally dependent on how you run your flame. With my Cheetah with the way I run my flame (which is pretty big and oxy rich), I always got around 25 hours of use for that size tank. It doesn't sound horrible to me, especially with a Baracuda.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
Old 2008-06-30, 12:56pm

Most tanks will read in between 2100-2200 when full, Although i've had a few that were 2400.

I can usually get 15-20 hours per K tank on my phantom as long as im not raging it.

Burning a tanked Phantom

Last edited by Shadymilkman23; 2008-06-30 at 12:58pm.
Old 2008-06-30, 5:01pm

thanks people for the info. I think I'll turn it down at the regulator next time and also will try and conserve more flame. I just assumed it lasted longer but its my 1st tank and is a learning process. A foot pedal would be nice, but I cant afford that for awhile. Lata
Old 2008-06-30, 5:08pm
Genus: gwacefulia klumsia

I get 8-12 hours on the Mirage per K tank. Wish it were more.
etsy shop:

doggies:
Old 2008-06-30, 5:10pm

The regulator pressure really doesn't have much if any effect on the consumption. The regulator nob just controls the pressure at in the line. It is all in the oxy knobs at the torch that controls how much O2 you use.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.