Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-15, 4:04pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Default My first boro beads

Whaddya think? I made 35 of them yesterday... I used mostly Carmel Luster, a couple were made with Jamboree, and a couple were made a rod that had no label... very unfortunate since I made a bunch more with this color today and I love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-15, 4:06pm
Against the Grain

Very pretty and even too. 35: wow my attention span lasts 2 the same max. How do you do that?

Looking forward to seeing more from you.

under construction

HELLCAT! with 2 oxycons and household NG (yes I will be increasing the oxy)

D-41
Old 2008-04-15, 4:10pm
"Sinners have soul too"

I was just so fascinated with the colors... literally being able to take a bead out of the flame and watch the color develop then to put it back and watch it get darker. I was just having a great time. It only took a couple of hours to do. I made 25 more today, then I ran out of dipped mandrels

Old 2008-04-15, 5:00pm

Very pretty!!! One day I'll try boro. I want to get soft glass down well first. I've got a long way to go but I'm having a blast. Keep up the good work!

Warmly, Marie C
Old 2008-04-15, 5:52pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Those are BOOO tifull Donna!
How the heck do you make them all so even.

(and yes...I LOVE to watch the color bloom in my boro. It's a kick in the ass, ain't it )

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-15, 5:58pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks Karen!

Actually, I kinda measure in my head... the base color is a little smaller than a Cheerio and then I do a couple of wraps of the clear... I'm a dork, I know

Old 2008-04-15, 6:11pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Thanks Karen!

Actually, I kinda measure in my head... the base color is a little smaller than a Cheerio and then I do a couple of wraps of the clear... I'm a dork, I know
I do the same thing.
I guess my head is a little lopsided.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-04-15, 6:23pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Old 2008-04-16, 3:55am
boro color bender

Nice... Welcome to the hard side.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-16, 4:56am

Pretty beads Donna!! Glad to have you join us!

Sals
Old 2008-04-16, 8:53am
"Sinners have soul too"

Thanks Sals and Smiley!

Hey "Smiley guy" if I keep practicing will you come in and teach a class??

Old 2008-04-17, 2:15pm
boro color bender

PM me... and we'll talk.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-17, 8:10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy View Post
I do the same thing.
I guess my head is a little lopsided.
lol
I think those are great Donna! You did a great job on your first beads! No messy haze etc...
HEY! I wanna take a class with Brent!!

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-17, 9:23pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Messy Haze! What the heck is that?? Something I need to worry about? I was having so much fun!

Old 2008-04-18, 8:16am

Haze it a layer of metals or junk from the glass that have come to the surface that aren't burnt off.
Henry Grimlett (Glass Alchemy) says it comes from uneven temperatures. It covers the pretty color in the glass. Sometimes it looks nice depending on how much is there and if it was meant to be there as an accent to another color etc...

When you work with larger pieces its harder to get it off unless you have a BIGGER torch!
So, when is the Phantom coming?

Heidi

~~
~~

Last edited by Jamn!; 2008-04-18 at 8:20am.
Old 2008-04-18, 8:21am
"Sinners have soul too"

Oooo a Phantom! I really wanted one of those when I bought my Mini CC. Couldn't justify needing one for soft glass though!

Jeff thinks I've completely crossed over to the "dark side"... he even said "you can still sell soft glass even if you don't use it".

Maybe I need a new torch for Mother's Day or even my anniversary in July... I can wait that long! Maybe...

Old 2008-04-18, 8:24am
"Sinners have soul too"

BTW, Messy Haze sounds like a new glass color!

I suppose I'll know it when I see it, huh? Will I notice it before or after the kiln?

Old 2008-04-18, 9:34am

Work a big bead! You will find it!
Seriously, You can burn it off with a hot pushing/oxy flame.

The pictures in my signature and avatar have some in the lines. Its the brownish tan in between the colors.

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-04-18, 9:47am
"Sinners have soul too"

Oooh, okay... Well, that's not bad I guess if it was covering the whole bead it wouldn't look that great. Thanks for all the help Heidi!

Old 2008-04-18, 4:52pm

ooooohh purty........don't even start me up here!! What am I doing in the boro room? Oh oh.....I am (was??) a " soft glass gal "

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen-mom View Post
Whaddya think? I made 35 of them yesterday... I used mostly Carmel Luster, a couple were made with Jamboree, and a couple were made a rod that had no label... very unfortunate since I made a bunch more with this color today and I love it.

and also ......
Old 2008-04-18, 5:22pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Thank You! Hey I didn't even know there was a boro room till last week!
I was a soft glass girl too. Then I went to Glass Craft Expo and found Glass Alchemy.

Old 2008-04-21, 6:44am
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeky monkey View Post
ooooohh purty........don't even start me up here!! What am I doing in the boro room? Oh oh.....I am (was??) a " soft glass gal "
Ah, see, that's how it starts. They lure you in here with pretty pictures. Soon you figure - what the heck, I'll just try a little bit. A little bit turns into pounds and pounds of glass. The next thing you know, you're buying a bigger torch and upgrading your oxycon...

Crack, I tell you, it's CRACK!
Old 2008-04-21, 7:48am

Wow... those are impressive for first boro, given how long it takes to melt boro compared to soft glass.

Great colors too, they all look like tequila sunrise from GA (I know you said caramel luster)

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-21, 9:53am
"Sinners have soul too"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
Crack, I tell you, it's CRACK!
Omygosh, that totally cracked me up! Thanks for the morning laugh

It's true though, I started off with just a couple of rods, then I was buying 1/4 lbs. Now I'm digging through the reactive frits in the GA sampler and wondering which one's "I must have"... thank goodness I run tanked oxy or I'd be seriously bummed running the oxy cons and trying to melt the boro.
And I'm just making "baby" beads. I think I'm going to need a bigger torch soon!