Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2009-07-29, 4:45pm
I need more boro stuff

Default Lynx vs Scorpion

I've been saving up to get lynx but now there's a scorpion in the making.

I need some advices from all of experience people regarding torches and oxycon.

Atm, I only working at soft glass and I'm not planning to do boro in short time.

I'm using cricket on propane and 8lpm 20psi oxycon. I never dial my oxycon to 8lpm, only until 7lpm (if I really open the oxy knob) then turn the oxy knob until I can see the ball thingy on oxycon at 6lpm.

My questions are:
1. Am I going to damage the oxycon if I run it like this? Does 2% purity will make a different?

2. with my way of using the oxycon, which one is better for me to get; in term of flexibility? Lynx or scorpion?

3. If I better off getting scorpion, do I need to dial my oxy to 8lpm? Or can I just set it up at 7lpm?

I think those all the q's that I can think of atm.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-07-29, 6:47pm

Yep, me too.

It's the first time I've had the potential for torch envy since I got my Lynx and my OGSI-15.

Will I get more heat and flame variation with a Scorpion?

I'm very happy with my Lynx. But... if I can get more out of my generator, I might be even happier.
Old 2009-07-29, 6:59pm
Fancy Mammal

3) I'm guessing that you the concentrator will run the Scorpion better - and 8lpm is supposed to run the Lynx at 90% while it will run the Scorpion at 100%.

2) In terms of flexibility - the Scorpion will go larger than the Lynx (which makes it tempting to me). I'm not sure if it will go finer. The third knob on the Lynx is what gives that very fine flame. However, the Cricket center fire is smaller than the Lynx to start. Since I've never seen a Cricket in action... I don't which will go finer.

1) No clue
Old 2009-08-02, 4:41am

I'm still new to the scorpion, so please forgive me if I give out some wrong info. I can check on my reply for accuracy tommorrow. I'll call Wally and Josh and talk to them a bit about this. This is what they have posted on their site about the scorpion....

Once again rising above the ordinary, GTT has created the next generation of the standard torch, but there is nothing standard about it. The Scorpion uses the mighty Cricket as the center fire for this unbelievable torch. The Cricket is well known for its efficiency on a 5 LPM concentrator and the great ability to work both soft glass and borosilicate glass with ease. The Scorpion has an 8 jet outer fire using our new patent pending 100% surface mix design that optimizes 10 LPM or two 5 LPM concentrators with optimal results. The Scorpion makes the flame size of larger torches with fewer jets, owing the phenomenal performance to the newest GTT innovations in jet design. The Scorpion was designed with concentrators, low pressure and low consumption in mind. The Scorpion runs great on one 10 LPM concentrator, two 5 LPM concentrators or tanked oxygen. Oxygen consumption is 11 LPM (22 CFH) at the maximum flame size. It requires as low as ¼ psi to 5 psi of natural gas or propane with a low consumption rate of 1.5 LPM (3 CFH) at the maximum flame size. The Scorpion is the master at using low pressures for optimal results for soft or hard glass.

So if I'm reading this correctly it seems your 8lpm concentrator isn't quite enough to run the torch at full capacity, it should be hooked up to a 10lpm. I'm am still trying to learn about these oxycon's, but I think your 8lpm won't run the lynx at full capacity either. You may want to look into a holding tank which could help you out, I believe they will get your some more pressure. I'll check into this tommorrow, please correct me anyone if I am wrong, I've never used any of the oxycon's and could be giving out the wrong info.
-chris

Old 2009-08-02, 9:10am
PyronamixK

Willy and I will try to do some melt tests on tanked and a couple of different oxycons and propane and find out which is hotter. I'll set one up to 7 LPM, too, to see what it can do.

I posted this in the other Scorpion thread:

The flame on the Scorpion is wider, but I don't know if it is hotter or not, and if so/not, under what circumstances.

They're really in two different categories. The Lynx is a single stage tripple mix and does not run well (if at all) on household pressure NG.

The Scorpion is a two stage standard mix (although, a special kind of standard mix) that has been designed to be run on low pressures and low flows, like the low pressure of household pressure NG and the low pressures and low flows of oxygen concentrators.

I will add:

The flame on the Lynx can definitely get to a smaller pinpoint. Also, I've worked on a Cricket enough to know that the Lynx is better at pulling radiant heat back into the flame when needed.

Last edited by kbinkster; 2009-08-02 at 9:12am.
Old 2009-08-02, 3:47pm
I need more boro stuff

Thanks all for the reply.

I emailed GTT yesterday asking the shipping cost for scorpion (if I decided to get 1 - I told them I found out from you, Kim. Like when I bought the cricket)

I had a play on phantom (well basically I only try the lynx part) at 1 of Sydney's lampworker on weekend. She has the same oxycon like mine. The lynx is quite nice.

Now I need to think which one should I get.

Old 2009-08-03, 2:02pm

Thanks Binkster for helping me out. I need to call you guys and talk to you about this new one, sounds really nice. Plus pick your brains about the concentrators. I'm learning but still need more input. Hope things are well with you guys, been a long time!
-chris

Old 2009-08-03, 2:06pm
PyronamixK

Hi, Chris! It has been a while. Things are well for us - hope they're great for you and Jaquelyn! Tell her "hi" for me.