Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-04-10, 9:59pm
Formerly Fireflyartglass

Default so I just got my eyes tested...

I just got my eyes tested and they are no different to two years ago... my script is identical. Talked to optometrist about how I only wear didy's for using boro and he said there is no damage to my eyes whatsoever.

Is it something that could creep up on you and suddenly your legally blind like my grandfather? he was a captain in the merchant navy ( at one stage he was captain of the largest ship in the world!) then one day he went blind. It was from looking out over the ocean - the glare of the sun wrecked his eyes and now he can't see directly in front of him he can only see out the outer and inner edges of his eyes.

I know it's a big argument about whether or not you need proper boro glasses I just want to know if the damage done could take a long time and one day my eyes will be cactus just like my grandfathers?
Old 2008-04-10, 10:41pm
In search of her path....

soft glass you can get away with using plasstic safety glasses and typically not due much harm to your eyes other than straining them from the glare...

BORO is a whole other story. you HAVE to have proper eyewear for boro. It has a bright enough burn / glare / etc that it canand will harm your eyes if you dont wear the proper protection.

You can use welders shades 4 or more but they are not the greatest proper glasses that cut the glare and deal with the flare are the best thing you can do for your eyes...

I torched for a long time with just half arsed eye protection doing boro and it really hurt my eyes...my vision changed a lil but more obvious was that my eyes just really HURT and it was pretty obvious while torching....i was straining and having a hard time working. its amazing the difference after I got the correct glasses it was like night and day...

Thats my opinion take it or leave it....but I think your eyes are a precious precious commodity....protect them at all costs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Prints for sale in my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 2008-04-10, 11:23pm

I'm so glad someone brought this up again! I just made a post about this in safety...

What kind of glasses are you all using, and are you happy with them?

I have Auralens AGW 250 boro lenses. I hate them. They're too big for me, and fall off if I move my head by a hair (which is constantly), and as they slip off my face, I find that convenient, because I can barely see out of them anyway. Someone suggested that I strap them to my head... but again, I can't see out of them, so they're more dangerous than helpful to wear.

This means that most of the time, I'm using absolutely nothing... while working with boro.

I don't want to spend another $200 on sight unseen frames that may not fit again, but it doesn't look like I'll have a choice.

At least, I'd like to buy glasses that you can see out of, and don't fall on the floor if you tilt your head 1/2".

What are you guys doing boro HAPPY with by way of glasses? Could you list the make and model too please? Thanks.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-11, 6:38am
Ready to hit the road

I bought the bench mount shield, and am VERY happy with it (other than the price). If I ever get seriously into boro, I can buy a boro glass sheet to fit into it. Right now I just add a welder's glass sheet to the ACE sheet.

Another option is the www.theblastshield.com.

Old 2008-04-11, 6:46am
Pyromaniac

I've got a boro bench mount shield with and I use it exclusively when working boro with a regular pair of clear safety glasses. It cuts all the yellow flare too. When striking the glass it is easy to look over the top of the shield for the strike. If and when I work soft glass, I use my didys. An expensive pair of boro glasses hang in the studio, and I rarely use them. I guess it is what you get used to and what works for you.

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-04-11, 2:52pm
put a bird on it

I am using Mike A's shield. It was irritating with the side-mount, so I hung mine from the ceiling. I like it pretty well, and LOVE not having to deal with the bulky glasses! I can actually torch before going out & not worry about 3-hours of face-indents!
Old 2008-04-11, 6:43pm
Crispy Critter

Elise, I've thought of doing the same thing with my shield. Can you tell me how you mounted it on the ceiling?

Old 2008-04-12, 5:54pm
boro color bender

I wear ACE clip-ons over my polycarbonate prescriptions. Am happy...

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-12, 7:33pm

I went to the Glass Dragons meeting, and chrisann generously let me borrow her boro shield AND a pair of boro glasses to try. Wow... glass people are amazingly generous! Chrisann is anyway, what a lovely lady! ALL the ladies there were just wonderful! Brent, why didn't you go?

And... do you have any idea what happened to Josh Hull? No one seems to be able to reach him.

My Non-Glass Sites:

Old 2008-04-13, 8:22am
boro color bender

I don't have a clue where Josh is... but I hope he doesn't poof with my refund check.

The meeting times just haven't worked out with my schedule lately. Sorry... I do miss them.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2008-04-13, 8:29pm

has any one tried boro scopes? I am looking for glasses for boro right now. I have a pair of didys i am using for soft glass on a minor burner, and am getting into alittle boro boro scopes come in 3 and 5 shades any input on which shade to get?
Old 2008-04-14, 4:42am
boro color bender

I'd go with shade 3.

Old 2008-04-14, 7:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsymn View Post
I bought the bench mount shield, and am VERY happy with it (other than the price). If I ever get seriously into boro, I can buy a boro glass sheet to fit into it. Right now I just add a welder's glass sheet to the ACE sheet.

Another option is the www.theblastshield.com.
where did you get your bench mount shield? tia
Old 2008-04-15, 4:02am

The answer to not being able to see out of AGW-250s is to increase the ambient light level. I run two standard 300w bulbs in the main overhead fixtures and four 250w halogens mounted on top of our bench. I have no problem seeing general things on my bench or around the room. I do sometimes take them off when I am picking colors to tell black from cobalt or dark greens etc. I can tell most colors apart easily though.

Torch Ho... GTT Mirage, Carlisle CC, GTT Cheetahs, GTT Lynxes, and others on tanked O2.
Old 2008-04-15, 7:41am
put a bird on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
Elise, I've thought of doing the same thing with my shield. Can you tell me how you mounted it on the ceiling?
Sorry, just saw this ???....

DH mounted mine to the ceiling by removing the base and then attaching the rod arm to a longer threaded rod with a coupler and then screwed that to something called a cross-strut (??? not quite sure of the name) that is a metal piece that goes between the framing struts in the ceiling. (I am in an unfinished basement area, with an open ceiling.) So, it would depend on what your ceiling is. Hope that helps, feel free to PM me.
Old 2008-04-15, 10:32am

Leanne, the damage to your eyes from working boro would be cataracts most likely, which is a long-term thing. The boro filters protect from that.
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com
Old 2008-04-15, 11:28am
Button Queen

I would think macular degeneration could also be a long-term issue...
Old 2008-04-15, 4:48pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hels View Post
... I hate them. They're too big for me, and fall off if I move my head by a hair (which is constantly), and as they slip off my face, I find that convenient, because I can barely see out of them anyway. Someone suggested that I strap them to my head... but again, I can't see out of them, so they're more dangerous than helpful to wear.

At least, I'd like to buy glasses that you can see out of, and don't fall on the floor if you tilt your head 1/2".
I find that the "standard stock" frames are waaaaaay too big for me also. Which is why I just LOVE the fact that you can order frames from Auralens that FIT!

If you currently wear Rx lenses, get the measurements off of the frame. There will be several numbers stamped into the frame, generally over the bridge piece. Then use those numbers to pick a frame from the website with similar numbers.

If you don't wear glasses, then to go LensCrafters or Pearle vision and ask them to measure you.

I have done this twice now with my AUR92's and most recently with my AGW250's. Both frames fit perfectly.
Old 2008-04-18, 8:19pm

Maybe a shield would be better than glasses. Here is a thread on the one I use. I may end up getting a piece of ACE glass to slip into it in the near future as well. http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=66765

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-04-22, 1:54pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I wear the laminated lenses fraom aura lens stacked over my prescription glass. Thank god the frames are spring loaded so they stay on my face because they are heavy. I gave Hels a bit of rubber tubing to place over the ear stems of her glasses, and they stay on her face now.

I have been doing glass as an occupation for over 25 yars, and my eyes are fine, other than aging normally. But I have been really picky about wearing good eye protection.

How many of you have had your eye doctor look forglassblowers cataracts with great glee? Its something they learn about in school, but never see in practice. Mine are a;lways disapointed.. no eye issues. Typically the glas blowers cataracts are seen in the old production furnace glass folks, back before proper eye wear. That IR can get ya as well as the UV.

My thoughts are.. dont scrimp on your eyes, the damagae is cumlative, and my sight is prescious.

BTw I stack over my prescription lenses because every time they change my medications, my vision can also change.

Candice King
Old 2008-04-22, 3:02pm

Yep yep... that rubber tubing frin Candice DID THE TRICK! I didn't think it would work because the hanging thing didn't do anything, I was amazed! I'm much happier now that I can use my glasses (I still can't see anything... because I work in the dark on my back porch... this is a logistical problem that I can't easily solve atm)!

You guys are so awsome here with your willingness to share.

My Non-Glass Sites: