Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-05, 8:31pm
I'm a lilac!

It's lovely, Bonnie! It really works with the tropical rainforest appeal of the frog.

Tanya, I also have ADHD, and take Ritalin! I don't take it every day, though. What's funny for me is that sets, and especially working on making sets of the same style in different colors, are totally a hyperfocus thing for me. Once I'm really grooving, I can't break out of it... I will make the same style in eight or ten colors if I have time in the day.

Then again, there are days when I just can't get into focus and I make a pair, then a focal, then start a set, then get bored and start another set, then organize my glass, then decide I need to re-order something and go to my computer and find out that something else is on sale, go back and check my glass again, realize the garbage is full and take it out, wonder what's happening in my garden... you know what I mean!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-06, 6:13am
Ave

Allrighty.. About the etching? I have never tumbled anything to etch it. Can anyone tell me what is the medium I need to get for the tumbler? Any info would be much appreciated.
Ave

Old 2011-02-06, 6:36am
The Andrea Half

Here's the abrasive media selection from Rio. http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...sive+Media&t=s

Old 2011-02-06, 6:55am
Ave

Thank You FourTails!!
Ave

Old 2011-02-06, 10:17am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabunting View Post
Allrighty.. About the etching? I have never tumbled anything to etch it. Can anyone tell me what is the medium I need to get for the tumbler? Any info would be much appreciated.
Ave
In addition to tumbling media like from the link FourTails posted, I like to use about a teaspoon of 220 grit silicon carbide, which you can get at most rock shops, or online: http://therockshed.com/grit1.html

Old 2011-02-06, 10:57am
Happy Beadmaker!

Great thread, Kalera, thanks! Can't wait to see what FritGirl comes up with for the "Kalera's Romance" blend!!! Also, love Pia's book name, perfect!!!

For those who might wonder, tumbling beads yields a wonderfully silky & satiny finish -- in contract to etched beads, which feel a little less smooth!

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-06, 11:17am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
Anna, if you need some Bullseye I have a metric crap ton
and would be glad to send you some. I am inexperienced with sending
stuff overseas so PM me and give me the low-down on the best/cheapest
way to get it to you and the colors you like.
Oh my goodness - how kind you are Joyce! I don't know that 'need' is the word but I'm always happy to try different glass.
There are so many wonderful Bullseye colours I wouldn't know where to start.
I'll pm you.
Thank you!

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-06, 1:07pm
Nikki Haverstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
In addition to tumbling media like from the link FourTails posted, I like to use about a teaspoon of 220 grit silicon carbide, which you can get at most rock shops, or online: http://therockshed.com/grit1.html
Thank you for the link. I have a thumbler Tumbler but have some issues finding a new belt for it (it was snapped after sitting in the garage for about 15 years) Now I can buy an extra belt and a second barrel for tumbling jewelry.

I have enjoyed this thread and want to thank you for all I am learning.
Old 2011-02-06, 2:06pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Oh my goodness - how kind you are Joyce! I don't know that 'need' is the word but I'm always happy to try different glass.
There are so many wonderful Bullseye colours I wouldn't know where to start.
I'll pm you.
Thank you!
You're welcome.
As far as colors, maybe we could start by asking Kalera her opinion on the best Bullseye colors for the Loetz frit
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-06, 2:11pm
Biscuit Lover

Kalera, is there some glass in particular that you would like to try out, but don't yet have on hand?
Old 2011-02-06, 2:36pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
You're welcome.
As far as colors, maybe we could start by asking Kalera her opinion on the best Bullseye colors for the Loetz frit
So far I almost always use them on a base of white, black, or clear, and let the Loetz take the spotlight, but I bet it would be great on other colors too.

Old 2011-02-06, 2:37pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
Kalera, is there some glass in particular that you would like to try out, but don't yet have on hand?
Not that I can think of! There are always so many beautiful new glasses, but my philosophy is that you don't need fancy glass to make beautiful beads. It sure is fun to play with, though!

Old 2011-02-06, 6:16pm
one day at a time

Kalera,

I'm a bit late coming to this thread and I just have to say - Wow, you are an amazing artist and an amazing person as well. This is incredibly generous of you! You know I've said it before, you are one of my most favorite artists in the present time and from all the way back in my newbie days of 2002!

I have a jar of the Gaffer Silver Clear collecting dust for the last 6 years and never knew what to do with it! Thanks!

Last edited by Lisi; 2011-02-06 at 6:18pm.
Old 2011-02-06, 6:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Aw, thank you Lisi! Enjoy that Silver Clear... it's one of my all-time favorite colors!

Old 2011-02-07, 2:26am
Resident hippie

Quote:
You're welcome.
Good idea Jhana.

Quote:
So far I almost always use them on a base of white, black, or clear, and let the Loetz take the spotlight, but I bet it would be great on other colors too.
Thanks for that Kalera.

I should just get those myself - they're ones you'll need to keep in your own stash Joyce.

I feel another glass buy coming on. . .
Are there only the four Loetz frits available?
I can't remember where I first saw your beads with them Kalera - it was last year some time - I don't even know if they were in the gallery.
I have kids to mind today but I'll do a search and see can I find the ones that so impressed me - actually all your beads do but these were so different.

ETA - I found the beads - post no. 31 here -
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...tz#post3301289

That's the same combo as you showed above Kalera but I had to see the original angle and the original pic.

Last edited by Beadanna; 2011-02-07 at 10:41am.
Old 2011-02-07, 6:55am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourTailsLampwork View Post
Here's the abrasive media selection from Rio. http://www.riogrande.com/MemberArea/...sive+Media&t=s
How do you know which material to use??? (too many choices!)
Old 2011-02-07, 8:05am
Resident hippie

Has anyone tried Loetz frit on Schott clear 91coe?

The supplier I'm looking at is out of clear BE but has the Schott.

Old 2011-02-07, 9:39am
Lampworkaholic!

Loetz should work just fine on Schott clear. After you try it, you may never buy BE clear again.

I ordered some Loetz from Leslie last night to try it. I'd be interested in a bulk buy (assuming I like it as I expect I will).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-07, 10:10am
Angie09

Quote:
I almost always use cane... I like the depth and color variations cane offers, and also layering darker colors over clear almost always "brightens" them and makes them pop.

I use both size 25:

and size 38:

Kalera,

What base color are these please???
Old 2011-02-07, 10:38am
Angie09

Quote:
Thank you!

These are BE French Vanilla, heavy silver foil, BE Fuchsia medium frit (LOVE that color) encased in BE 1101 clear.
Hi Kalera,

I have checked bullseye.com and delphi glass and neither have a "fushia" frit (well, actually delphi's website says they no longer carry it. Where else do you buy BE?

Thanks again for all you are doing!!
Old 2011-02-07, 10:59am

Hi Angie - it looks like Howaco has it:
http://www.howacoglass.com/bullseye_frit_powder.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Hi Kalera,

I have checked bullseye.com and delphi glass and neither have a "fushia" frit (well, actually delphi's website says they no longer carry it. Where else do you buy BE?

Old 2011-02-07, 12:04pm
Angie09

Perfect...thanks for the help Patty!!
Old 2011-02-07, 12:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Good idea Jhana.

Thanks for that Kalera.

I should just get those myself - they're ones you'll need to keep in your own stash Joyce.

I feel another glass buy coming on. . .
Are there only the four Loetz frits available?
I can't remember where I first saw your beads with them Kalera - it was last year some time - I don't even know if they were in the gallery.
I have kids to mind today but I'll do a search and see can I find the ones that so impressed me - actually all your beads do but these were so different.

ETA - I found the beads - post no. 31 here -
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...tz#post3301289

That's the same combo as you showed above Kalera but I had to see the original angle and the original pic.
Thanks, Anna! As far as I know there are only the four colors. I'd love more!

Old 2011-02-07, 12:06pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Kalera,

What base color are these please???
That is a cane pulled from NS Extra Light Yellow over NS Ruby.

Last edited by Kalera; 2012-03-21 at 8:13am.
Old 2011-02-07, 12:08pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Hi Kalera,

I buy it directly from Bullseye: http://www.bullseyeglass.com/product...hsia&x=11&y=12

Old 2011-02-08, 6:31am
Angie09

Good morning Kalera,

I have really gotten into silver foil over ivory and wonder what your favorite frit colors are to use with this? (I use the backs of my cg beadrollers as marvers and set up an assembly line of 5 or 6 so I don't have to stop and reapply the foil to the marver after every bead ... it makes it go soooo much faster that now I enjoy using foil!)

Thank you again for all the great information!!!!
Old 2011-02-08, 10:08am
I'm a lilac!

Foil is awesome, I'm glad you're having fun with it! Are you using 104? Some of my favorite 104 colors with foil are rubino, copper green, transparent aqua, transparent emerald, transparent orange, and EDP.

Old 2011-02-08, 11:19am
Angie09

Quote:
Foil is awesome, I'm glad you're having fun with it! Are you using 104? Some of my favorite 104 colors with foil are rubino, copper green, transparent aqua, transparent emerald, transparent orange, and EDP.
Yes, 104. I only have one of the colors you suggest .... arrgghhh ... looks like another frit buy!!! Where is the best place to buy the plain (non-mixture) frit?

And, BTW, I am using your boro encasing method you posted and it is working like a dream!!! Thank you sooooo much!!!

Last edited by Angie09; 2011-02-08 at 11:28am.
Old 2011-02-08, 11:35am
I'm a lilac!

You're welcome!

I buy most of my 104 frit from Frantz, and 96 frits from Olympic Color Rods.

Old 2011-02-08, 12:26pm
Angie09

Do you, or anyone else out there, have any rubino and/or EDP frit they want to sell??? Please pm me if you do. And, thanks!