Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-08, 12:43pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatFritGirl View Post
If anyone got a tub of Loetz Green Gold would they check their labels on those? My label didn't state a coe, and that was the only one that came in a tub

Kalera, I've been learning so much from this and I thought that I was ALREADY addicted... And you're giving me so many wonderful ideas!!!
I thought I had Green Gold, but what I have is Bluegreen Gold - and it has the same 93 +/- 3 label on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2011-02-08, 1:06pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Kalera I have always loved your beads and this thread is so interesting and so generous of you to do! I'm having a blast reading it and my head is spinning from all the new ideas I have which is great because I love frit and I was really in a kind of a funk. Thank you so much for sharing, you're the best.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-08, 1:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks, Astrid! I'm glad you've found it helpful.

Old 2011-02-08, 1:31pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Do you, or anyone else out there, have any rubino and/or EDP frit they want to sell??? Please pm me if you do. And, thanks!
Nope, but if Frantz is out you can make your own by heating a gather, plunging it in cold water, and then straining it onto a paper towel and letting it dry. It might need to be smashed up a bit more in an old coffee grinder (try Goodwill for a cheapie).

Old 2011-02-08, 1:55pm
Lampworkaholic!

I make frit by heating a rod or rod pieces in my kiln, then carefully removing it/them with tongs and dropping them into a clean bowl of ice water. A little gentle hammering after straining and wrapping in a cloth and voila - frit! I can make quite a bit more quickly this way.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-08, 5:27pm

I just wanted to say THANK YOU and what a great thread! I am going to try tumbling some beads. You get such beautiful results, and I just can't use etching creme right no matter what I do! I have been browsing your website and your beads are so beautiful and I am SOOO impressed with the what you are doing!

Visit me here:

Old 2011-02-08, 6:18pm
I'm a lilac!

Thanks, Jennifer! I hope you love your results!

Old 2011-02-09, 4:08am
Resident hippie

Down the page here http://therockshed.com/grit1.html under Tripoli Polish there are nesting screens that could be used for grading frit. They are large though - fit the top of a bucket. Has anyone got a source for smaller ones?

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-09, 5:19am

There's a nice one here Anna: http://www.delphiglass.com/fusing-su...-sifter/review

Another option might be to check your local dollar store or thrift store. I was able to find 4 strainers at the dollar store with different mesh sizes that work fine for frit sorting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadanna View Post
Down the page here http://therockshed.com/grit1.html under Tripoli Polish there are nesting screens that could be used for grading frit. They are large though - fit the top of a bucket. Has anyone got a source for smaller ones?
Old 2011-02-09, 5:23am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

is there like a size for a mesh that would correlate with the size of a frit?
Old 2011-02-09, 7:28am
Karen James

This thread is incredible Kalera. Thank you for the wealth of information you are sharing.

Karen

Cricket, Mini CC, Devilbiss MC84 Oxy and NG
Old 2011-02-09, 7:52am
Biscuit Lover

Lookin', lookin' at Kalera's beads!
I especially like your treatment of Multicolor Dark, everything you have shown with it is so appealing.
I have another set to ask about...hm, where was that...
Old 2011-02-09, 8:28am
Resident hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJJames View Post
This thread is incredible Kalera. Thank you for the wealth of information you are sharing.
I know - it's my first port of call when I come to LE.

Thanks Patty! That's a gorgeous set but a bit steep in price for me. I'll check the a Euro store when I'm close to one.

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2011-02-09, 9:07am
I'm a lilac!

Thanks, you guys!

Old 2011-02-09, 5:40pm

Hay "Ask me anything'
I was at a Corning Museum workshop. One of the people was making glass pins (flowers, ete) she was using medal loops. that she placed into the glass after finishing the flower before placing it into the kiln.

If you make a pendant you make a glass "loop" for a chain. What medal can be used to make loops and place into the glass pendant or flower before going into the kiln.
Thanks
Old 2011-02-09, 8:48pm

I just wanted to say a huge thank you for opening up a forum like this Kalera. You are a wonderfully talented artist and I so appreciate your generosity and kindness in giving back this way. Your work is truly an inspiration.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-09, 11:32pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_2 View Post
Hay "Ask me anything'
I was at a Corning Museum workshop. One of the people was making glass pins (flowers, ete) she was using medal loops. that she placed into the glass after finishing the flower before placing it into the kiln.

If you make a pendant you make a glass "loop" for a chain. What medal can be used to make loops and place into the glass pendant or flower before going into the kiln.
Thanks
Silver, copper or brass will all work; if you use fine or argentium silver it won't get firescale. You have to be careful not to hit the metal directly with the flame or it will melt, but once you get the hang of it, it's quite simple! You can use that technique to place metal shanks in glass buttons, as well. Spot-heat the glass where you want the shank or bail to go, warm the wire just a bit, then plunge it into the molten glass and hold it until the glass firms up.

Old 2011-02-09, 11:42pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass2 View Post
I just wanted to say a huge thank you for opening up a forum like this Kalera. You are a wonderfully talented artist and I so appreciate your generosity and kindness in giving back this way. Your work is truly an inspiration.
You are very welcome, thank you!

Old 2011-02-10, 4:15am

Thanks------ That was the info I was looking for.
Old 2011-02-10, 8:26am
Angie09

Hi Kalera,

Can you tell me who makes "Caliente Silver Blue" you use in your Allene Rosalind Pie beads...I don't seem to be able to find the manufacturer? And how do you come up with the names?

Thanks!
Old 2011-02-10, 12:02pm
I'm a lilac!

That was made by Caliente Glass in Canada: http://www.calienteglass.com/

Sadly she does not make her beautiful cane anymore.

I am not a big fan of naming beads, and often I'll ask a friend to throw a name out there for me. That day, it was a scientist friend.

Old 2011-02-10, 3:54pm
Biscuit Lover

http://www.beadwife.com/xv/shop/imag...s/10631.3.jpeg

These! I could pretty much just completely drape myself in these. What are these beauties?
Old 2011-02-10, 8:30pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathleen milligan View Post
http://www.beadwife.com/xv/shop/imag...s/10631.3.jpeg

These! I could pretty much just completely drape myself in these. What are these beauties?
Thanks Kathleen! Those are Gaffer Blue Luster on U-96 black. I think there's some green luster in there as well.

Last edited by Kalera; 2011-02-10 at 8:40pm.
Old 2011-02-11, 1:48am
Steph

Really enjoying reading this thread - fantastically generous Kalera!

I was wondering - are all your frit type beads encased?

And, how many beads do you manage to make in a hour, say?

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-02-11, 1:59am
Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Then again, there are days when I just can't get into focus and I make a pair, then a focal, then start a set, then get bored and start another set, then organize my glass, then decide I need to re-order something and go to my computer and find out that something else is on sale, go back and check my glass again, realize the garbage is full and take it out, wonder what's happening in my garden... you know what I mean!

That sounds just like me.....and before I know it the day is gone and I've managed 5 beads in a whole day.....I wish I could focus better!

My Etsy Shop and Inner Depth Tutorial:

Come like me at:
Old 2011-02-11, 3:51am

Hi Kalera. Ask you anything? Really? Ok, heres my "dilemma." Friends and co- workers have been telling me that I should start selling more of my product. I haven't really sold much so far, mostly due to the lack of confidence in my work and the fact I'm my own worse critic.

I am having problems coming up with pricing. I know I shouldn't price too low and undersell myself, and pricing too high may keep people away. Do I start at one price point (maybe higher ) and then adjust? Do I browse other artist's work and get a general idea from what I see to get a better grip on pricing?

Thanks for your input !

Duane M

REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

Old 2011-02-11, 1:16pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Dee View Post
Really enjoying reading this thread - fantastically generous Kalera!

I was wondering - are all your frit type beads encased?

And, how many beads do you manage to make in a hour, say?
All of the "Cove" style beads are encased, but very few of my other frit beads are.

If I'm making small (less than 12mm), simple, un-encased beads, I can turn out about 50 per hour. 14mm encased beads with silver foil, about 20. Fancy dot beads with reduced silver glass/striped cane/etc, about 12. Large, elaborate focals can take an hour or more each.

Old 2011-02-11, 1:23pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demcc2 View Post
Hi Kalera. Ask you anything? Really? Ok, heres my "dilemma." Friends and co- workers have been telling me that I should start selling more of my product. I haven't really sold much so far, mostly due to the lack of confidence in my work and the fact I'm my own worse critic.

I am having problems coming up with pricing. I know I shouldn't price too low and undersell myself, and pricing too high may keep people away. Do I start at one price point (maybe higher ) and then adjust? Do I browse other artist's work and get a general idea from what I see to get a better grip on pricing?

Thanks for your input !

Duane M
I would definitely recommend browsing other artist's work, but make a point of looking primarily at artists who clearly sell a lot and rely on the income in order to get an accurate sense of what pricing looks like for a consistent product with a following. It can be really discouraging to go to Etsy or eBay and see people selling comparable work to yours for next to nothing; what I've discovered over time is that most of the time, people selling really low also list inconsistently, never build a following, and eventually disappear. Buyers are willing to spend more with an artist they know they can rely on.

Going with something in the midpoint of what you see similar work selling for should give you a solid starting point. Try to charge no less than $60/hour (torch time) for your work in order to pay yourself for non-torch hours spent working, and remember than as you get better and more efficient, with fewer mistakes/fuglies, you will get a built-in pay raise.

Old 2011-02-11, 8:23pm
Lampworkaholic!

Kalera I have to tell you how excited I am - today I tried something based on your Romance recipe. I rolled an Opal Yellow bead in Light Tobacco powder, then in Size 2 Chalcedony frit. They are in the kiln but if they look half as great in the morning I'll be happy. It looked like the Chalcedony Raku reacted immediately with the Tobacco, bringing out lots of color plus making a sort of light ring around the pieces of frit. I'll post pix if they come out as nice as I hope. Thank you for planting the seed of using Tobacco with Raku!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-11, 10:04pm
I'm a lilac!

Oh, exciting! I can't wait to see pics! <crossing fingers>