Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-02-15, 11:00am
I'm a lilac!

Corina wrote about it in Passing The Flame... same violet. No one seems to like it much for some reason. Maybe it would be more appreciated if they tripled the price. It's up there with pastel ivory in terms of being indispensable, IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-02-15, 11:04am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Corina wrote about it in Passing The Flame... same violet. No one seems to like it much for some reason. Maybe it would be more appreciated if they tripled the price. It's up there with pastel ivory in terms of being indispensable, IMO.
Yes, I've been trying to figure out which one she wrote about since reading the book. I even asked her and she couldn't remember. But in her writing she specifically says, "New Violet" so I've been totally confused on that forever!!!
Old 2011-02-15, 11:13am
I'm a lilac!

Maybe try both, and see what works for you! IME most violets seem to react similarly, even from different manufacturers. Mine isn't labeled, so I don't know the number. It's whatever Effetre/Vetrofond Violet is cheap. I use them interchangeably.

Old 2011-02-15, 11:25am

Thanks Kalera - I've got some effetre violet that's been gathering dust. It just doesn't look very exciting but I can see where using it as a reactive base opens up a lot of possibilities!
Old 2011-02-15, 11:31am
I'm a lilac!

Try is as a base for almost any green, or for orange or red... it's beautiful!

Old 2011-02-15, 1:36pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
LOVE it, Tina! Thank you for posting your results!

Patty, I used it over a vintage German violet which is very very similar to Effetre Violet... a color that is very underappreciated IMO. It's a wonderful reactive base for frit or dot designs.
Is that the vintage glass that Phoenix Art Glass was selling? I loved that stuff! I was sad to find out that she shut down.

Old 2011-02-15, 1:56pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes, that's where it came from! I had no idea she closed... that's too bad.

Old 2011-02-15, 3:56pm
Lampworkaholic!

I love Soft Violet. It is extremely beautiful with Glass Diversions Prism transparent frit blend.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-16, 7:46pm

Finally have beads to show off.

These turned out so so cool. Z-851 powder and Opal Yellow Twisty over copper green.
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-02-16, 7:59pm

wow wow wow
Old 2011-02-16, 8:36pm

Thanks YB

Old 2011-02-16, 8:40pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

GORGEOUS Lara!!!! OMG!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-02-16, 9:15pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post

These turned out so so cool. Z-851 powder and Opal Yellow Twisty over copper green.
Lara, these are glorious! They look like sunset over the ocean.

Old 2011-02-17, 5:56am

Incredibly beautiful beads Lara!
Old 2011-02-17, 6:20am
formerly Marella

Oh my....those are gorgeous beads!

~
~
~
Old 2011-02-17, 6:54am

Wow Lara, ditto what everyone said... Gorgeous!

Old 2011-02-17, 7:36am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Great beads Lara!!!!

Vivian

-

Old 2011-02-17, 8:03am

Oh wow, thanks you guys. I liked them, but wasn't sure what others would think. Made my morning. off to work happy.

Old 2011-02-17, 8:27am
Biscuit Lover

Lara, splendiferous, happy beads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara View Post

Old 2011-02-17, 3:47pm

I never thought about using powder to make twisties - great idea!
Old 2011-02-17, 7:52pm

Thanks! I just dip an edge into the frit and keep the other side without powder

Old 2011-02-18, 5:49am

Lara, am I understanding this correctly? Base is copper green, you stripe one side with the OY, the other side you heat gently then dip into your 851, heat, pull, twist? I just got some powder and frit form eplanet's sale. Don't want to waste it.

Can you tell I'm twistie impaired?

Those beads are amazing.

My Ebay
Old 2011-02-18, 6:41am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I would think that it is opal yellow rod that has been dipped on frit or powder on one side, then it has been twisted into twistie. (OY and frit as alternating colors) then that has been applied onto copper green base bead. But wouldnt be the first time Im wrong...
Old 2011-02-18, 9:13am
I'm a lilac!

There's no such thing as "wasting" glass... you may make beads that don't turn out salable, but no matter what you learn something new and it may be an experiment that leads to a fabulous discovery!

Old 2011-02-18, 10:42am
Lampworkaholic!

Well I am disappointed, my box came from OCR and there was no Zimmermann Blue Violet or Seashell Pink frit. I ordered by phone and they showed those colors to be in inventory. No one called to tell me they were out or ask if I wanted to substitute something else. Oh well.

I did get 5 Zimmermann frit blends and will be selling some of the extra once I make some test beads and take pictures.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-02-18, 12:59pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post
Well I am disappointed, my box came from OCR and there was no Zimmermann Blue Violet or Seashell Pink frit. I ordered by phone and they showed those colors to be in inventory. No one called to tell me they were out or ask if I wanted to substitute something else. Oh well.

I did get 5 Zimmermann frit blends and will be selling some of the extra once I make some test beads and take pictures.
Blends? They have blends?
I too, had to ask for the actual invoice to be
e-mailed to me asap before it was shipped so I could make sure I didn't
promise trades my order couldn't fulfill.
Changes kept happening to the order because their inventory system is
not real time, and some stuff I thought I had turned out to be out.
I have been otherwise engaged with an emergent family matter these last few days so frit has been low on my list of priorities.
I need to check my list of what was actually shipped, and then get it in my hands before I make any promises.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-18, 1:31pm
I'm a lilac!

They completely lack any kind of point-of-sale inventory control; they literally don't know until the orders are packed (in the order they were received) whether they will have enough of any given item to fill all the orders. On my last order a few weeks ago, the lady who called me told me that she knew they had more orders for Bluegrass Green than they had frit, but that they were still pulling a few orders ahead of mine and she wasn't sure until those were filled whether they would have any for me.

If, like me, you worked retail in the 80's or 90's, you probably know what this is like! Basically they have a totally archaic inventory system and they don't know when they're going to run out until they have too many orders and they run out. I deal with it by adopting a Zen attitude, mostly... because there's nothing else I can do!

Old 2011-02-18, 3:36pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

I wish I had some of that Zen... I think he is in Oregon though, and cant be reached in Texas. I was quite dissapointed when I while back tried to order some Z colors and didnt get any of the ones I ordered... the only reason why I made the whole order, just took some Reichenbach to fill up little more. Well, the fill up stuff was all I got. Not that I am unhappy with that glass, not at all... was just disapointing not to get any of the Z colors.
Old 2011-02-18, 4:16pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by piakaven View Post
I wish I had some of that Zen... I think he is in Oregon though, and cant be reached in Texas. I was quite dissapointed when I while back tried to order some Z colors and didnt get any of the ones I ordered... the only reason why I made the whole order, just took some Reichenbach to fill up little more. Well, the fill up stuff was all I got. Not that I am unhappy with that glass, not at all... was just disapointing not to get any of the Z colors.
Pia, sistah, relax- all is well.
I got a box on my back porch this am, and I probably gotcha' covered on the colors I said I would have, but I want to check it all before
I promise trades and donations.
This has been the lowest priority on the list.
My brother just went to the V.A. hospital(Viet Nam vet)with a gnarly bladder infection on Monday and as it turns out, it's a good thing
he finally went, because they did some tests and he has cancer(small 3-4mm spots in several places, but they said they caught it early).
They tattooed him for radiation yesterday and he gets his first radiation treatment today. The last few days have been intense, to say the least.
So I have been otherwise engaged.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2011-02-18, 4:47pm
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

Wow, Joyce, I am totally fine here!!! You have much more there to deal with, dont worry about that frit stuff for a while, I did order some more colors, and half of them were already gone, but I will be getting couple other colors, and Erose was too kind to send me some pea green, and also some gaffer silver blue!
I am so glad your brothers cancer was detected early, but I know it is still not a walk in a park, and I keep you, your brother and the rest of your family in my thoughts! I hope all goes really smoothly. And please, dont rush anything! We will get there when there is a good time for that stuff!