Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Website help and critique

Website help and critique -- Get assistance with your website.

Old 2011-05-20, 10:49am
frenetic crafter

Default Can I transfer my domain name to a different host?

I made the mistake of purchasing my domain name through a host (ipage), and now that my year is up, I need to renew it. I know there are cheaper options out there, and I have a friend going into web design that wants to start the page from scratch, so I don't need to save any content on it. I just need the name. Is this possible to do? Am I out of luck? Any solutions would be wonderful!

I know next to nothing about websites, so any host recommendations would be lovely as well.
Old 2011-05-20, 11:07am
Experimentalist

Yes, but it's a pain in the rear. I have to do it this summer to several of mine.

If you google the question, there is a TON of info on the web to talk you through it. It's just a PITA.

As for host recommendations I've been nothing but happy with HostMonster.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-05-20, 11:58am
frenetic crafter

I found a ton about switching your whole website, but all I want is the name (www.silverliningdesign.net). I will build a website eventually, but at this point, scrapping the whole thing is looking like the best idea. I feel like I'm going to run into problems since I registered the domain name when I got the site. I might've read something about swapping that, but I don't understand it!

I guess I'll keep reading.
Old 2011-05-20, 12:07pm
I fart diamonds

The easiest way is to do it through Godaddy. Transfer the registry and you can host your site on any service you like. (I'v use Dayanahost.com for years).

ETA: It's only $7.49 to transfer a domain and includes a 1yr extension.

Old 2011-05-20, 12:15pm
frenetic crafter

So even though ipage seems to have "claimed" my domain (i.e. if I cancel the page the domain name stays there), I can just snag it back through godaddy? How do they know I own the domain name to begin with?
Old 2011-05-20, 12:19pm
frenetic crafter

Also, I'm looking at Dayanahost, and it looks better - do they raise the prices of the website when the paid-for time runs out? Also, I don't know which plan I need! I want to put up a bunch of pictures, maybe a small cart feature, and I don't expect too many people to visit my website. There are all these features, and I don't know what they mean! Ugh, I am so clueless.
Old 2011-05-20, 12:43pm
Experimentalist

Yeah, just the domain name should be pretty easy. I'm sure places like GoDaddy have instructions for that.

Old 2011-05-20, 12:45pm
Experimentalist

http://community.godaddy.com/help/1592

Old 2011-05-20, 12:45pm
ManBearPig

Most any hosting company can walk you through transferring your domain name. Many will even do it for you.

As for hosting - www.inmotionhosting.com is my recommendation

Old 2011-05-20, 12:54pm
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay View Post
Also, I'm looking at Dayanahost, and it looks better - do they raise the prices of the website when the paid-for time runs out? Also, I don't know which plan I need! I want to put up a bunch of pictures, maybe a small cart feature, and I don't expect too many people to visit my website. There are all these features, and I don't know what they mean! Ugh, I am so clueless.
Go with the cheapest Say5 plan. It will have everything you need and no, they don't raise the prices.

Old 2011-05-21, 9:31am

omnis.com is where I have my page hosted. It was pretty easy to transfer. When you go to them to host it has an area where they ask you if your transferring your domain and hosting services. Answer yes, enter the new server info and it takes approx 24-48 hours to change it.

Old 2011-05-21, 1:37pm

If you are unsure if ipage "owns" your domain (nearly positive they don't), I would recommend going to godaddy and typing in the domain to see if it's available. The site looks very chaotic I know, but the price is 7.50 for a .com for the year and you can use it anywhere. The process of redirecting is very simple and you can use whatever kind of hosting you'd like, doesn't have to be godaddy (I have two different hosting and love both actually). Any other questions ask their customer service too, or one of us here