No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-28, 3:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Ohhhhh, 200 yards! Do you keep a flashlight in your building? I used to have one that plugged in the wall to recharge, but it finally stopped charging. My shack is only about 80-90 feet from the back door I think, but I don't usually mind the dark once I get used to it. Just not fond of stepping out from a lighted space into dark for some reason.
LOL - my studio is about 60 yards from the house and there's been a few nights where the SyFy channel leaves me running for the house now when there's no lights on - (you know the B movies where the dumb asses always wait to see what that noise was they just heard - right before they get off'd)

For the record - SyFy 101 - when you hear a noise - DONT hang around waiting to see what the heck it was - RUN!!! LOL
Old 2014-04-28, 5:03pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevadaglass View Post
LOL - my studio is about 60 yards from the house and there's been a few nights where the SyFy channel leaves me running for the house now when there's no lights on - (you know the B movies where the dumb asses always wait to see what that noise was they just heard - right before they get off'd)

For the record - SyFy 101 - when you hear a noise - DONT hang around waiting to see what the heck it was - RUN!!! LOL
It's always the blonde bimbo that gets it first. So as long as you can run faster than her . . .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-04-28, 5:39pm
Biscuit Lover

When making shards, don't blow so hard the bubble explodes with a thin shard landing on top of your head, and then, being so fascinated with the shards before you, fail to notice the telltale burnt hair smell until someone next to you goes into hyperventilation.
Old 2014-04-28, 11:37pm
Catnip Pusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
It's always the blonde bimbo that gets it first. So as long as you can run faster than her . . .
Heyyyy...!

Aimee
Old 2014-04-29, 7:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
Heyyyy...!

Aimee
I'm blonde and, well, blonde, so I can say that with full knowledge (at least the full knowledge of a blonde). And I can't run very fast.

Old 2014-04-29, 7:34am

Quote:
I'm blonde and, well, blonde, so I can say that with full knowledge (at least the full knowledge of a blonde). And I can't run very fast.
I'm a blonde too but I am smart AND I can run very fast so you ladies are on your own. LMAO

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2014-04-29 at 7:39am.
Old 2014-04-29, 4:15pm
Senior Moment

Did you hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a building?

They should have used the door.

*this brunette runs as fast as her little legs can go LOL*

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-04-29, 4:26pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by allicat View Post
Did you hear about the 2 blondes that walked into a building?

They should have used the door.

*this brunette runs as fast as her little legs can go LOL*
Treadin' on thin ice there girlie. I may not run fast but I can slap and scratch!

True story. Our driver's ed teacher in HS told us the bumps along the center line in the road were there so blind people who drove could stay in their lane. The really blonde girl in our class believed him. She had a 4.0 GPA, so smart isn't necessarily smart, I guess.

But back to the thread. DON'T make fun of a blonde and then let him or her near your torch immediately after.

Old 2014-04-29, 4:32pm
Sam I Am

Don't touch the large masher you have been using all day - they will brand you.

This is for *Sharon* Don't touch the peep you just toasted - EVER - Napalm

Old 2014-04-29, 5:03pm
JennyD

When you run out of propane on your HH...do not try to change the tank right after turning off the torch....yea I did this...burnt myself on the torch end!

IDK why I thought turning off the torch meant the HH would be cold to the touch lol

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-04-30, 1:13pm
Practicing perfect

When you set the hot rod you just used down, make sure the hot end is placed on the oposite side you will be grabbing.

Do not grab the stringer/cane you just pulled.

Glass does not cool down fast.

Move your hands away from the torch if you feel a sneeze coming on.

Old 2014-04-30, 1:14pm
Flame Dames Rule!

And DO NOT torch when you have hiccups. Just sayin.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2014-04-30, 2:26pm

hehehehe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonP View Post
And DO NOT torch when you have hiccups. Just sayin.
Old 2014-04-30, 3:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly Queen View Post
Do not grab the stringer/cane you just pulled.
And yet, somehow I think if I just touch it really quick, to see if it's still hot, that will be okay.

Old 2014-04-30, 3:32pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
Don't sweep your bench with your hand (not my hand)
Owwww!
Old 2014-04-30, 9:27pm

Don't adjust your glasses and your magnifiers with a hot mandrel/bead in your hand unless you like the smell of singed hair!

LynieG
Old 2014-04-30, 10:00pm

Don't lick your graphite paddle.

Spaghetti does not make good mandrels.

Custard...it's just like hot icecream!
Old 2014-04-30, 11:04pm

Don't accidentally set the rod you just used on top of other rods that are resting on the rod rest because that rod can turn sideways and slide down the other rods, right into your lap.

Old 2014-05-01, 1:27am

Don't fling the bead you're working on at your DH when he comes into the studio and startles you.

Old 2014-05-01, 6:20am

I almost did that the other day

Quote:
Don't fling the bead you're working on at your DH when he comes into the studio and startles you.
Old 2014-05-01, 8:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatrix92 View Post
I almost did that the other day
Think we can get them to wear cow bells?

Old 2014-05-01, 9:02am

Quote:
Think we can get them to wear cow bells?
I threatened DH with that! Told him he was going to get a cow bell for his birthday!

LynieG
Old 2014-05-01, 9:43am
Loving learning

Quote:
I'm going to tell that one to my DH! He's going to get one of us burned one day.
Old 2014-05-01, 4:35pm
JennyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynieG View Post
I threatened DH with that! Told him he was going to get a cow bell for his birthday!

I have been threatened with having to wear one...BF cannot seam to ever startle me but I sneak up on him way to easy

...I'd rather be beading!

Old 2014-05-01, 5:24pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

When you DO stick a hot bead into the kiln, and it welds itself to a bead already in there, do NOT immediately grab the other mandrel and try to wrench them apart.

The good news is... a 950 degree burn pretty much incinerates the nerve endings, so it only hurts for a moment. The bad news is... it took me multiple tries to learn this one.

L-111

Old 2014-05-01, 8:52pm
Practicing perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
The good news is... a 950 degree burn pretty much incinerates the nerve endings, so it only hurts for a moment.
Aha, this is what happens. Thanx for the info Pat.

Old 2014-05-02, 5:59am

Don't try to use that last inch of stringer without a holder, burnt nails smell worse than hair.

If the marble comes off the punty, don't try to catch it!

Don't drink from plastic cups at the torch, a shocky rod can make a huge mess with one searing hot shard in the right direction.
Old 2014-05-02, 7:38am

And don't drink from the cup you use to quench your hot tools.

Old 2014-05-02, 8:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
When you DO stick a hot bead into the kiln, and it welds itself to a bead already in there, do NOT immediately grab the other mandrel and try to wrench them apart.

The good news is... a 950 degree burn pretty much incinerates the nerve endings, so it only hurts for a moment. The bad news is... it took me multiple tries to learn this one.
LMAO - BTDT!!!! Instinct rather than common sense said - SAVE the BEAD!!!!! after that it was all downhill.....
Old 2014-05-02, 9:13am
Loving learning

Quote:
And don't drink from the cup you use to quench your hot tools.
Also don't reach automatically for a mug & drink for it without thinking first as to whether or not you actually brought a drink with you That Day!