LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2015-08-28, 1:44pm

Default Color identification, please

Need some help identifying some colors please. I looked up these two numbers on Frantz and Mountain Glass Arts - even googled the number/name and can't find anything on them. I'm trying to label and price everything from from the studio of a friend so everything can be listed in the garage for sale. But I can't find anything on these two colors.
The top one reads "Moretti 56536 Copper - work high in the flame or it will burn"
the lower reads "591420-C Coral Cinnamon Special" only found something close to it on Mtn Arts: "Moretti Coral La Mesa 591420-02"

The next picture has mostly Alabaster glass I think. I can pull it up on Frantz, just not sure if it's what I have. I think the blue is "Periwinkle light alabaster 591360". The pale pink is "Medium pink alabaster 591372". The darker pink is "Pink medium Alabaster 591376" and the whitish is maybe "White alabaster 591304 or 591312". Not sure which yellow (at the top) and which coral (4th from top)is pictured but they're both Moretti. The coral is rough to the touch. Any and all help is appreciated.

Here's a 'tease' picture of what's priced so far; frit, 104, some boro, some bullseye stringers, tools, presses, didy's. Still have to try out a minor torch, a Lynx, and turn on the kiln just to check things out before putting all in the garage. Any suggestions as how I can weigh all this glass - my girlfriend said to go buy a digital scale (for people) … like we'd have a people scale in the house - lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/url][/url]
Old 2015-08-28, 1:53pm
Loving learning

I bought a digital scale at staples or office depot maybe? It was about 30 dollars, and does to a tenth of an ounce up to 11 pounds I think. But maybe your friend should buy that, not you.
Old 2015-08-28, 1:56pm
Lampworkaholic!

Copper 536 is Carnelian Opalino.

420-C Cinnamon Coral was an odd lot, very pretty color.

The pinks are alabasters, the light yellow is yellow opalino. Not sure about the orange and bright yellow, but not alabaster or opalino I think. The light blue (or is that white) might be opalino, can't tell from the photo.

ETA - the roguh orange is probably an odd lot coral, a photo of the ends might help. The yellow might be 416 Acid Yellow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2015-08-28 at 2:00pm.
Old 2015-08-28, 1:58pm

The first one, 536, is Carnelian opalino aka Copper. The second is one of many lots of coral that got named. Some people particularly liked that one.

Old 2015-08-28, 2:00pm

The orange in the second pic could be Tequila Sunrise or Orange Sherbet (more corals) but I can't really tell.

Old 2015-08-28, 2:12pm

Wow, such quick help, thanks everyone. Didn't think of taking pictures of the ends of the rods - duh - thanks Elizabeth. But the yellow isn't "Acid Yellow 591416", she's got some of that - it's a much much brighter yellow.

The digital scale at office depot/staples is a great idea, thanks Eileen. Will speak to my friend about it.

Haven't a clue as to how to tell the diff between alabaster and opalino, Elizabeth.

Anybody know what value per 1/4 lb to place on the "Moretti Copper" or the "Cinnamon Special" - anybody …. anybody… ?

[/url][/url]
Old 2015-08-28, 2:17pm

Just looked up "Carnelian Opalino" on the Frantz web site and it gave me: "591536 Effetre Carnelian (striking) Opalino Glass Rods. The number on the rod I pictured is 56536, are you saying they are the same Rebecca?

[/url][/url]
Old 2015-08-28, 3:18pm
Lampworkaholic!

Copper and Carnelian Opalino are the same. The last 3 numbers match. Those are the Effetre numbers.

I know the pinks are alabasters because the only pink opalino (rose) is white in the rod. And I don't think there is a pale yellow alabaster.

Mostly you can tell the difference in the flame. Opalinos melt dreamily (although the white and yellow can be prone to soot). Alabasters boil and fuss.

The bright yellow might be 404 Light Lemon. A photo of it next to the 416 Acid would help. And the ends - if it is ringed I might change my answer.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2015-08-29 at 5:23am.
Old 2015-08-28, 10:40pm

Oh can't wait to see them listed. I have a thing for all corals
Old 2015-08-29, 6:21am

Default Close up pictures

Here's a close up of the ends of the rods of yellow and coral - a little green residue left on one of the yellow rods in question

Here's a close up of the ends of the rods of alabaster - looks as if there's two shades of the blue

And here's a picture of the yellow beside the acid yellow - acid yellow on the left

Thanks for all the help everybody

[/url][/url]
Old 2015-08-29, 11:20am

Default Last color question, I promise

Okay, this is the last color question, I promise. I think I've gotten all the others - or am just gonna list them at $2 a 1/4 lb - but I found these two full rods marked "791004-03" and written upside down is 'reg.' Can't find anything like it. Maybe it's a super clear? 'cause it's just really really clear glass. Any body offer anything? Thanks again all. And I hope to put everything up next week in the garage.

[/url][/url]
Old 2015-09-03, 11:37am

The 791 numbers usually indicate a Vetrofond number...my quess is that it is a Vetrofond clear

Thanks for being such a good friend and helping her out with this. It's a lot of work.

If you have a few rods and can't ID them...I would bundle them together and offer it as "an assortment of random joy"

Good luck,

Lisa