Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-03-14, 7:36am

Default Fuming help?

Hi guys! I'm hoping someone can help me out.
I've been fuming for about six months now. I have no problem getting silver to spit off onto glass, but for some reason, it takes me forever to get even the slightest bit of gold. I've tried looking around on some threads, but I haven't found the answer to my problem so far.
Any tips?
Old 2015-03-14, 8:32pm
kinda torching....

Try fuming a tiny bit of silver befpre gold and make sure the glass is nice and hot when fumin the gold pr it wont stick. it also helps to wave your fuming metals in and out of the flame a little bit. You want it hot but not completely boiling the metals

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-03-14, 9:23pm
He can do the origami

I have a question before I can answer. You say you can get silver to "spit" onto the glass. Do you mean getting tiny bits of glass to form on the piece you are fuming? And if that is what you mean, are you trying to get gold to do the same? Form small bits of gold onto the surface you are fuming?

Otter
Old 2015-03-15, 7:45pm
DaveK

What kind of torch are you using?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-05-02, 6:18am

Sorry about the late response, guys. Ended up having surgery after posting that..i've been out on commission.

'Spit' wasn't the right word, my bad. I just meant that when I try to fume silver onto glass, it's so much more willing than gold! lol. HOWEVER, i've improved on my ability to fume gold since then. My issue right now is different..hopefully someone will be able to help me out.

I'm using a Nortel Red Max. I'm getting a weird fogginess to my pieces after they implode. Can't seem to figure out why.

Old 2015-05-02, 9:16pm

a couple of question are you using only gold and clear? 24kart?

i see blues and greens in that top one that looks like lightly struck silver fuming.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2015-05-06, 5:55am

In the two pictures, I had used 24k gold and fine silver.
Old 2015-05-07, 10:26am

So i would guess it is silver fuming in the background.
in the second one it look like most of it it on the back that you could have burned off or many people learn to skin off that back layer that has that excess fuming that was not imploded.

and for anyone wondering the reason i asked if it was 24 kart gold is that many people don't realize if your gold is less that 24 kart there are other metal, often silver mixed in to lower it purity.

Living the dream rocking a GTT Mirage and or 40mm Herbert Arnold J Howard Style with a home fill system in south central Wisconsin
Old 2015-06-02, 8:44pm
Dead man walking

Try more oxygen in your flame when fuming gold. Same issue with the "fog" more than likely, if you reduce too much it will get foggy like that. Try more oxy in the flame and working it a bit hotter it should clear up.
Old 2015-06-03, 8:28am

You could also try using less silver fume and when you fume with the gold hold it further out in the flame (away from the torch face) sometimes if you hold it to close the glass gets to hot and burns off the gold as you are putting it on.