Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-05-16, 6:31am
Custom Imprint tools

Default Leonardo Petal Puller...basic instructions

Hi all,

I have been having some questions about my petal pullers and thought I would just do some brief instructions.

Basic Instructions for Leonardo Petal Pullers (pat. pend)

Flower
1) Heat the end of your glass rod, stripe with more color or roll in frit.
2) Melt in, pinch and pull your petals, Double the amt of petals needed for the flower
3) Add to a small coffee warmer on high or candle warmer
4) Make a tab bead about ˝ inch to an inch, let droop and flatten
5) Add petals to the tab base to make a sculpted flower, remember to keep warm
6) Add designs to your liking by crimping with “ruffler” tool and finish, kiln anneal

Leaf
1) Pull petals, add to warmer
2) Make small round bead, heat spot on round and tip of petal
3) Attach petal to round, fuse both spots
4) Design and finish to your desire, add to kiln

Hope this helps...thanks,

Karen
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-05-16, 11:12am
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, Karen!

I just received the small petal puller and the ruffler tools from you. I haven't tried them yet but the directions seem pretty straightforward.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-05-16, 11:27am
what's a senior moment ?

Mary Beth, they are very easy to use and very fun ! I've made several flowers with them so far. I know you can pile on dots to make petals and there's nothing wrong with that but these pullers eliminate that and allow you to move a little faster. And so many other things you can use them for ! lol ! Have fun with them !
Thanks for posting the directions Karen !
Off to play with my tools again ! They can be addicting ! lol ! Course, I'm one of those people that hoards tools ! lol !
Debbie A.

Old 2007-05-16, 12:15pm

anybody have any pictures of beads made with the petal puller or the ruffler, thanks!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-05-16, 2:47pm
Custom Imprint tools

Default Couple pics of flowers

Hi Renee,

These are my most popular but you can change the flower by moving the petal. it is all built on a tab base. Here are some leaves...be sure you attach them well...oh the ruffler makes a crimp in the middle of the flower or where you want it....on anything....

Karen
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-16, 5:20pm
sunscreen me baby

Cool tool! I love your new logo too.

~

Old 2007-05-17, 4:56am
what's a senior moment ?

Karen, that white/clear/etched flower is stunning ! I love it !

Old 2007-05-17, 5:19am
Custom Imprint tools

Thanks Debbie,

But that is actually Effetre opalino white with my petal cane and the center is opalino rose with a few dots of sparkly dichroic. I think it is pretty for the summer. I was thinking of doing a blue-ish center to add with some pretty moonstones.....

What else have you made with the puller. I did my first boro flowers yesterday....will send pics later when I get a photo or 2

Karen

Old 2007-05-17, 8:07am

ok now i'm really fascinated, but just because the tool is shaped like a leaf how do you get a leaf shape just by pinching and pulling??

Old 2007-05-17, 12:57pm
Custom Imprint tools

Default How to make the leaves!

Hi Renee...

the glass squishes and molds around the shape...giving youe the petal you see....to make a leaf just make a small round. Spot heat where you want the leaf and the edge of the leaf and attach. Make sure it is the crease is melted together well and heat and shape with a leaf press, heat and pinch the ens with the Petla puller or make some cuts with scissors...many possibilities....

Karen

Old 2007-05-17, 1:00pm
Custom Imprint tools

Default Boro flowers....my first...works with boro too!

Hi all here is some flower candy.

Was talking with Sue of GA and here is my first boro flower..since guys don't wear flowers I don't think my hubby Bob the boro man will think too much of me on his turf....thanks for looking!

Karen
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-17, 1:06pm

ok i'll give it a try, i'm going to order it on your website, i still don't see how it will form a petal or leaf just by pinching and pulling but i'll take your word for it because i can't make a leaf at all..thanks for the explanation..

Old 2007-05-17, 1:08pm
Semi Retired

Wow, gorgeous. Now I can't wait for the tools to arrive.

|

|

|

|

Old 2007-05-17, 1:34pm
Custom Imprint tools

Hi Renee and Mary,

You can do other things with the tool too. I think it was Debbie that was using them for her fish tails too. If you are still not sure how to use it email me after you get it and I will try to help...I suggest getting the large one for leaves....I am shipping tomorrow Mary....so your booty will be on it's way!

Karen

Old 2007-05-17, 2:24pm
Sheryll

Hi Karen,

What size puller do you use for your flowers? Also, would you be able to put a dime/penny in your next pic? I'm having a hard time figuring out what size and this would help a bunch!

Thanks,
Sheryll
Old 2007-05-18, 12:53pm
what's a senior moment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Leonardo View Post
Thanks Debbie,

But that is actually Effetre opalino white with my petal cane and the center is opalino rose with a few dots of sparkly dichroic. I think it is pretty for the summer. I was thinking of doing a blue-ish center to add with some pretty moonstones.....

Karen

Ooooo, pale or light blue would be beautiful ! Yes do and show pics ! lol !! I just went to your website and your flowers are gorgeous ! I need to work on my centers. Yours are fabulous !
And your boro flower is beautiful ! You need to do more of those !
What other tools have you got up your sleeve ??? lol !
Thanks for all the tips Karen !
Debbie A.

Old 2007-05-21, 10:00am
Custom Imprint tools

Hi Sheryll and Debbie,

I will get a pic for you in a bit. I was ill for 3 days and am back on...I mostly use the small puller but use the large too. Depends on how far back you put your glass and pull. I can make very teeny pulls for tiny flowers too with the small. I will take a pic with a dime near it...also the DVD is ready I am picking them up at the end of the week. SO they will be ready to go and I am offering free shipping to those that have bought both the large and small pullers....if they want the DVD too.

More tools...I have the book coming out in Nov., just did the pullers, DVD and working on 2nd book.....must be crazy, so I think I will wait on other tools for a little while ...also would like to start teaching workshops

Karen

Old 2007-06-26, 5:27pm
Custom Imprint tools

Default Any questions on the Pullers and what they can do?

Any questions on the Leonardo Petal Pullers or the DVD? Here is a flower pic I am excited about. Also my wilf flowers set made with the large and small pullers.The beads and leaves turned out wonderful. I just got another batch of the small pullers in and we are ready to ship again....see the website for more instructions on how to use them as well...thanks,

Karen
Attached Images

Old 2007-07-02, 6:26pm
Custom Imprint tools

Here is a question that was privately emailed and I thought I would add it here to help others.

Hi,

I enjoy the questions...it means people are using the tool I have a DVD that shows exactly how to make my flowers on the tab base. It is very helpful and also shows you how to make my inner petal cane and use the "ruffler" tool. It is $24.99.

It is hard to explain without seeing it. I do have a thread on LE that gives a tutorial but I think it is basically the same as the paper I sent maybe a bit more.....search petal puller on LE as I don't know the link right off and can't get it for you right now.

The flowers I make don't flip around since the weight of the flower is on the bottom. When you make a tab you have to droop the glass so there is more with on bottom and then start in the top upper middle and add your first petal...heat and press the tip in the middle well to make sure it is attached and won't pop off later. The follow the seem of the petals and add the rest of them. Look at one of my flower pictures to see and line it up. The petal cane hides the seems of the flower. Here is a pick of the back of the flower to show you....hope it helps,

Best wishes,

Karen
Attached Images

Old 2007-08-11, 1:39am
Bead Bimbo

Hi Karen, I received my order yesterday afternoon. Thanks for sending it out so quick!

Esther

My blog:

My forum:
Old 2007-08-11, 7:45pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I just wanted to show that its not only for flowers!!! fantastic tool!
Thanks Karen!!!!

~~
~~
Old 2007-08-12, 9:11am
Custom Imprint tools

Thanks for sharing Laurie,

Great idea for the tool! What a gorgeus set! The dragon flies are out quite a bit in the fields behind the house...a nice reminder

Karen

Old 2007-08-20, 8:19am
Cherine Perrin Glass

Wow, this is a really awesome tool!!!! I still have to do some more practicing before I show my flowers. Don't want to scare anyone with my first few ugly attempts. The ideas are running through my head faster than I can torch.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2018-09-15, 8:15pm

Thank you so much for this information. I just have received this tool so I can try it now.
Old 2018-09-17, 7:49am
Custom Imprint tools

Hi BerniZ- thank you so much. Here are my You Tube videos that might help too. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNP...XAJQtu6CYqHOmQ

Old 2018-09-23, 9:33pm

Smile Leaf puller

I’m newbie but found this interesting when I get so I can make a good bead. Thank you for sharing
Old 2018-09-24, 5:42am
Custom Imprint tools

Default Hope the videos are helpful

I hope it is helpful. If you have any questions you can email me beads@ptd.net

Old 2021-04-04, 8:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Leonardo View Post
Hi all here is some flower candy.

Was talking with Sue of GA and here is my first boro flower..since guys don't wear flowers I don't think my hubby Bob the boro man will think too much of me on his turf....thanks for looking!

Karen
So pretty!