Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > The Mall > Customer Service Kiosk

Customer Service Kiosk -- Questions for LE vendors.

Old 2012-04-11, 8:32am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default Question about The Flow magazine

I love to read about the crafts I practice - I subscribe to a bunch of scrapbooking and card making magazines - so when the Spring 2012 issue of The Flow showed up on the Howaco website when I was browsing I tacked it onto my order, figuring I'd preview an issue before I subscribed.

Now I'm seriously in doubt about subscribing. The spring issue focused heavily on pipes, including covering a convention. My question is, is that typical? How much of the magazine is normally devoted to pipemaking?

While I appreciate the artistry and technical proficiency, and I have no objection to what people do in their own lives, drugs destroyed my birth family, and will be causing me ongoing heartache and expense for the rest of my Mom's life, so even looking at pipes causes me a lot of anxiety. I flipped through the magazine to see if there was anything else in there, then buried it at the bottom of the stack in the workroom.

I'm just wondering if this issue was atypical, or should I just give subscribing a pass? I'm not passing any judgements, but this stuff affects me the way some people react to snales or spiders - immediate, visceral panic. I just don't want to seek it out if I can avoid it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-11, 4:22pm
Loving learning

Pat, I think the content varies. It is not a soft glass magazine exclusively, has boro, etc. but some soft glass too. I haven't read enough issues to see how often articles mention or focus on pipes though.

I wonder if you'd be happier with Soda Lime Times (?) from Diane Woodall since it focuses on lampwork bead making.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2012-04-11, 4:24pm
Fried Cat

I'd say it was atypical as far as pipes themselves go. Try to review on of the Women in Glass issues befor e your final decision.
Old 2012-04-11, 4:28pm
Loving learning

Or maybe just buy issues as they come out, and then you can get an idea of the contents since you have such a strong negative experience/reaction to the pipes?
I look at them and marvel at the skill to make them, but I totally understand you having a different reaction.
Old 2012-04-11, 4:43pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

I personally think Soda Lime Times is geared more towards our neck of the glass woods on a monthly basis - beads and soft glass.

Old 2012-04-11, 4:56pm
Queen Bee

Soda Lime Times rocks - I think it's the best thing out there for lampworkers right now!

Donna

Vintage & Contemporary Beads, Findings, Chains, Trinity Brass, Vintaj, Bead Tubing, Bobbins

Handmade Artist Lampwork Jewelry
Old 2012-04-11, 4:58pm

I agree with Amber. The Flow features lovely work but very little of it is bead related. If you are focusing on beads, the Soda Lime Times gives you a lot more bang for the buck.
Old 2012-04-13, 3:44am
Now part of the Dark Side

The Flow tends to have a theme for each issue, this time it was pipes. While I am not a pipe maker I still found it interesting. I agree the annual women's issue is very good and worth the subscription price.
Old 2012-04-13, 6:30am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Thanks, everyone! I was actually quite taken aback by my reaction to this magazine - I'm not a panicky person, never had an anxiety attack in my life, and definitely don't overreact as a rule I'm the one who goes super-calm in a crisis. It was just plain WEIRD to find myself all but cowering in the corner over PHOTOS. Not a place I want to put myself again!

L-111

Old 2012-04-13, 7:43am
Wonder-wench

Pat, i love all the glassy mags! I have seen pipe work in a couple of issues of the Flow. The Soda Lime Times is really perfect for bead makers, about 1/2 artist profiles and 1/2 tutorials, well worth the subscription price!

Old 2012-04-13, 9:17am
Curmudgeon Engineering

As mentioned The Flow has a theme for each issue. I get The Flow and I get Glass Line mags. Like Roy I do not do pipes but I recognize the technical and artistic aspects that go into some of the works. Take a look at GlassLine. It leans more to 'traditional' glass art. I haven't seen Soda Lime Times so can make no comment.
PJH
Old 2012-04-13, 9:34am
Just Me!

Pat,
I have subscribed to The Flow for 6 or 7 years now and really can't remember ever seeing a pipe tutorial before, not saying they've never done any, I just don't remember any.
As others have said, once a year they have an issue called Women in Glass, which is fantastic.
I personally love the magazine, they have a nice variety, but if you want Soft Glass and Beads go with Soda Lime......Val
Old 2012-04-13, 10:28am

After reading this thread ... I had to check out the Soda Lime Times. I'm more a "boro" girl but hey ... I'm multi-glassual and anything done in one can be fun to attempt in the other.

Killer selling point for me was the BOC tut each issue. I have issues with doing "cute" so this is a god send to me.

Well I got it and OMG. $4.95 for over 50 pages of stunning photography, tips, techniques, etc. AWESOME!! Good Job Diane

Old 2012-04-13, 10:44am
...displaced ocean lover

Quote:
After reading this thread ... I had to check out the Soda Lime Times. .................

Well I got it and OMG. $4.95 for over 50 pages of stunning photography, tips, techniques, etc. AWESOME!! Good Job Diane
Ok, now I'm going to have to check it out as well.
And Glassline.

Soooo much to read and learn~

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-04-13, 10:51am
Just Me!

I forgot to mention Glassline, it is also a fantastic magazine, it does have a lot of Boro in it, but you can always try and substitute for Soft Glass.
I just received the most recent edition and the first tutorial is on making a goblet with Soft Glass. Pretty Cool......Val
Old 2012-04-13, 11:38am

Glassline is my favorite art glass mag. SLT's is fantastic for beaders. She is doing a marvelous job with it.

Old 2012-04-13, 2:30pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I am so glad I asked this question - I almost didn't, because I didn't want to offend anyone. There's been loads of good information already - knowing me I'll end up subscribing to them ALL before I'm done!

L-111

Old 2012-04-14, 6:49am

Thanks everyone for your kind comments about the magazine. Each month we are getting more and more involvement from a variety of artists, both famous and "not yet famous".

My magazine focuses on lampwork beads, and while I may have tutorials for other things, like jewelry, bottle stoppers, etc., it will always be bead related. Not just bead related, but with projects that are actually doable and not so advanced that you can just look at them and dream.

Right now I'm working on a "Greatest Hits" issue that will replace the free (July 2011) issue we are currently giving away for free. Quite honestly, our free issue doesn't begin to compare to what the magazine is like today, so the new Greatest Hits issue will be a collection of material from all of the issues, combined into one. We should have that ready soon.

As far as the Flow is concerned, I am a subscriber and have my renewal form ready to mail off. I just don't think you can get too much info when it comes to glass.

So thanks for the kudos for the Soda Lime Times. We'll be launching the May issue right after midnight tonight.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-14, 12:38pm
I'm meeeeelting

I'm not a pipe maker (or user), but some are truly works of art. I'd suggest looking through the Flow issue again with that in mind. I think you may be pleasantly surprised by the skill and artistry that's gone into some of the work.

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:

Last edited by artsyuno; 2012-04-14 at 11:32pm.