No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2005-06-26, 1:53pm
CA Queen Bitch

Default Bead release safety!!

I just want to make sure the Newbies know about bead release issues. It has been determined to cause cancer when inhaled. When I clean it up, it's always under running water, and I spray it down with water on any surface it has accumulated or spilled on, before cleaning it up. Be safe!!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-06-26, 2:38pm
Satake Woman!

And never never never put it down a sink drain. It is clay, and will collect in your traps. Eventually you will need all new pipes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-26, 3:13pm
Empress of Fire & Wire

thanks for the tips. What is the differnece in bead releases, where do you all get your bead release and much is a good price it? Thanks, Joanne

Old 2005-06-26, 3:16pm
Satake Woman!

I use Bucket o' Mud, but I think you will find that there are as many different tastes as there are people.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-06-27, 6:25am
Safety ALWAYS

Uh, Suzy? Where did you see this? If you are referring to the label that Frantz has started putting on their bead release, then please know it does not refer to all brands of bead release, only those with high concentrations of silica powder.

Always use a P100 respirator filter when removing beads from the mandrels, cleaning mandrels, or cleaning up after cleaning beads. Always work wet, never dry.

Be sure you have very good ventilation as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody Fire Beads
I just want to make sure the Newbies know about bead release issues. It has been determined to cause cancer when inhaled. When I clean it up, it's always under running water, and I spray it down with water on any surface it has accumulated or spilled on, before cleaning it up. Be safe!!

~Suzy~
Old 2005-07-08, 9:45am
Resident Luny

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeAurelius
Uh, Suzy? Where did you see this? If you are referring to the label that Frantz has started putting on their bead release, then please know it does not refer to all brands of bead release, only those with high concentrations of silica powder.

Always use a P100 respirator filter when removing beads from the mandrels, cleaning mandrels, or cleaning up after cleaning beads. Always work wet, never dry.

Be sure you have very good ventilation as well.

Can someone run down some of the more well known brands of release, and which have silica in them or not?

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2005-08-11, 8:55am
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse
Can someone run down some of the more well known brands of release, and which have silica in them or not?
I'd like to know this too!
Old 2005-08-11, 8:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunesse
Just assume all have silica in them and use a "safe practice" (wet) in handling them you will be safe.

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2005-08-11 at 9:19am.
Old 2005-08-11, 9:11am
CA Queen Bitch

I read it in a book I have, I think by Cindy Jenkins, but I can't find the book now of coarse.
If it isn't true, or there is a safer brand out there I'd sure like to know!!! I know when I was doing pottery and running my kiln, it was a factor not to breath the dust from the glazes too. I always clean my beads under running water.

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-08-11, 9:23am
I'm a lilac!

If you always handle it when it's wet you don't need to wear a respirator, but if you mix your own (as I do) you should always wear one when measuring/mixing the dry ingredients. But a respirator is no big deal to find or slap on for a few minutes. Once it's wet there are no worries. I bring my beads in from the kiln and soak them in water, de-mandrel them over a bowl under running water, (the bown catches the bead release so it doesn't go down the drain) and then dremel them wet. It's as easy as it is safe.

Old 2005-08-11, 9:47am

And make sure the top is on the bottle of bead release before you shake it.
Old 2005-08-11, 9:57am
Crispy Critter

I hope y'all don't mind if I create a little detour here... We know that dry bead release is hazardous if inhaled. Then why isn't anything being done about all the imported beads with holes full of release?

Old 2005-08-11, 10:03am
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarakay
And make sure the top is on the bottle of bead release before you shake it.
ARRRRGh yeah! I learned the hard way...

Old 2005-08-11, 9:35pm

Default Absorbed through the skin?

If bead release causes cancer when inhaled- what about when it gets on your hands while cleaning your beads? Wouldn't the same chemicals that cause the cancer be absorbed through the skin also? Yeah I know, if I'm so paranoid about that I could wear rubber gloves but the beads would probably slip out of my hand.

Tracy

Old 2005-08-12, 2:06am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplelilyone
thanks for the tips. What is the differnece in bead releases, where do you all get your bead release and much is a good price it? Thanks, Joanne
I just started making my own. It's DIRT cheap. I think I paid maybe $3 for the ingredients at a pottery supply company (Axner):

Equal parts silica, kaolin and alumina hydrate. I added a little leftover Sludge Plus to the mix (an ounce or so because I didn't have any graphite) and it's fantastic! This was mixed (shaken) in a 16 oz Power Ade bottle. (For deep dips) Holds just right. No more problems with broken release and the holes come out clean as a whistle.